What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Predict the 2010 Ladder

Eels Dude

Coach
1. Melbourne - Can't go past the while they still have the big 5 (Slater, Inglis, Cronk, Smith, Bellamy) as long as they have these they'll be a top 4 side. They've been dominating for 4 years now they deserve favouritism. They may lose a few forwards, but that happened last year too (Kaufusi, Jeremy Smith, Crocker) Yet still won the comp
2. Canterbury - Only question I have over them is that a lot of their players overperformed this season like Roberts, Goodwin, Stagg etc. El Masri is a big loss, but their new found culture and strong roster should be enough to get them a top 4 spot.
3. Parramatta - Have recruited well for next season with Poore, Shacks and Tahu but have lost a few players who while not be world beaters have become handy backup players. Will need some unproven youngters to step. Question marks remain over the inexperienced halves, but with Hayne in a playmaking role and a great forward pack and the an exciting backline they should be right up there
4. Souths - No excuses this time. A forward pack of Asotasi, Burgess, Taylor, Crocker, Ross and Stuart would be close to the best in the comp. Sandow is their weakness, his defence is appaling. But let's remember what John Lang did with Presto at both Cronulla and Penrith. They have speedy backline which should work well off the forward pack.
5. Gold Coast - They should serve well with the experience from last year. Learning to win at home was a plus and even with not much recruiting they're building a solid junior base to be a consistent top 8 side. Prince's combination with Cambell and Friend is working very well.
6. Wests - I'm basing this on the possibility of their signings of Lima and to a lesser extent Tuquiri. They've still recruited well and with Benji in form and their young backline players stepping up towards the end of this year they should increase as a force next season.
7. Manly - I think they'll slip as some of their senior players (Orford, Kite, Lyon) seemed to fall of the pace the back end of this season. I've a feeling the best football may be behind them. They've still got enough quality to win plenty of games and easily make the top 8 though.
8. Brisbane - I'll put them in their because even when they're looking bad they still magically happen to make the top 8. Hell, they even made it this year after losing a stack of players and Wayne Bennett to boot. Weak forward pack, but it's hard to predict the Broncos not being their finals time.
9. North QLD - Seriously they've got problems. I just don't have faith in them to make the finals anymore. They've got the world's best halfback in their side yet they've still missed the semis the past 2 years. With Bowen out for most of the season they've lessened their chances too. I don't have the confidence to predict Cows to play the finals.
10. Newcastle - They should win enough games at home to be close to the top 8, especially with their first choice front row available next season. Not sure about their coach though he's still unproven and a lot of their players are simply too inconsistent at times
11. St George Illawarra - My big dippers. They were found out in the finals with predictable style of play and unless massive changes in structure with Wayne Bennett next year, sides will play on this and take advantages of their weaknesses. I don't think players like Soward or Weymen will be able to reproduce their form of this year and without a strike weapon like other premiership contenders I think they may struggle.
12. Penrith - It wouldn't suprise me to see them make the 8 but it may be a year too early. Good young players in Coote and Graham, while Jennings will only get better. They need a decent halfback though and I think some of the youngsters still need a year of learning the ins and outs of first grade before they can be considered contenders.
13. Sydney Roosters - What a terrible season they've had... and they've lost 4 key forwards in O'Meley, Shackleton, Soliola, and Fitzgibbon. They would only get worse but I think Brian Smith will be disciplined enough to get the best out of some of the players, which means taking them away from the spoon.
14. Canberra - Same old thing for the Raiders every year, lose quality players and rely on youngsters to step up. They've a pretty good forward pack and good young backs, but they still can't win away from home. I don't know if David Furner is a good coach either, he had them playing some football this year which just didn't suit them.
15. NZ - I don't know what went wrong this year. They had a top 4 side on paper which just didn't perform. Kemp, Jones, McKinnon fell from grace. And with instability in the halves Cleary still releases Fien and Witt mid season. They may bounce back, but with last year's attitude problems I don't see how they can.
16. Cronulla - And by a mile. Seriously they look terrible. They have easily the worst backline in the comp, and while some solid forwards in Douglas, Gallen and Tupou, their pack is still one of the weaker ones. They've no halfback and some of Ricky Stuart's recruiting decisions need to be questioned. He releases Kimmorley who has his best season in yrs, and then replaces De Gois with Corey Hughes. Big Wooden spoon heading their way next year.

Gaba

First Grade
The eels wil lfinish in the bottom half of the ladder, people have overrated the eels on thier soft run into the finals and luck they got during the finals.

the eels were the worst attacking and defending team before they had a dream draw of the sharks, warriors who were equally poor attacking sides and poor defending team, knights were out of form the knights were in a period where couldnt defend or attack

panthers were depleted and couldnt attack and defend

the tigers let down was thier defense otherwise they had the eels measure.

the dragons had the eels contain in round 26 and even though in the finals they played poorly against the eels the dragons should have won if they got the correct call which would have given them a 8 -0 lead

Hayne is the eels main attacking weapon, contain him there is no other attack that the eels have, mateo the only one other i can think of

eels of have one of the boring backlines in the comp ,

who are the others in the eels backline apart from hayne who is capable of worrying the other sides, tahu will be passed his prime he wont be as affective as he was before he went to union,

Hayne is the eels backline

13-16th
specials to miss the top 8

they are my warriors of 2010 people will overrated highly

Last edited:

Tom Ace

Bench
The eels wil lfinish in the bottom half of the ladder, people have overrated the eels on thier soft run into the finals and luck they got during the finals.

the eels were the worst attacking and defending team before they had a dream draw of the sharks, warriors who were equally poor attacking sides and poor defending team, knights were out of form the knights were in a period where couldnt defend or attack

panthers were depleted and couldnt attack and defend

the tigers let down was thier defense otherwise they had the eels measure.

the dragons had the eels contain in round 26 and even though in the finals they played poorly against the eels the dragons should have won if they got the correct call which would have given them a 8 -0 lead

Hayne is the eels main attacking weapon, contain him there is no other attack that the eels have, mateo the only one other i can think of

eels of have one of the boring backlines in the comp ,

who are the others in the eels backline apart from hayne who is capable of worrying the other sides, tahu will be passed his prime he wont be as affective as he was before he went to union,

Hayne is the eels backline

13-16th
specials to miss the top 8

they are my warriors of 2010 people will overrated highly

:lol:

You've outdone yourself Gaba.

Tom Ace

Bench
1. Melbourne - Can't go past the while they still have the big 5 (Slater, Inglis, Cronk, Smith, Bellamy) as long as they have these they'll be a top 4 side. They've been dominating for 4 years now they deserve favouritism. They may lose a few forwards, but that happened last year too (Kaufusi, Jeremy Smith, Crocker) Yet still won the comp
2. Canterbury - Only question I have over them is that a lot of their players overperformed this season like Roberts, Goodwin, Stagg etc. El Masri is a big loss, but their new found culture and strong roster should be enough to get them a top 4 spot.
3. Parramatta - Have recruited well for next season with Poore, Shacks and Tahu but have lost a few players who while not be world beaters have become handy backup players. Will need some unproven youngters to step. Question marks remain over the inexperienced halves, but with Hayne in a playmaking role and a great forward pack and the an exciting backline they should be right up there
4. Souths - No excuses this time. A forward pack of Asotasi, Burgess, Taylor, Crocker, Ross and Stuart would be close to the best in the comp. Sandow is their weakness, his defence is appaling. But let's remember what John Lang did with Presto at both Cronulla and Penrith. They have speedy backline which should work well off the forward pack.
5. Gold Coast - They should serve well with the experience from last year. Learning to win at home was a plus and even with not much recruiting they're building a solid junior base to be a consistent top 8 side. Prince's combination with Cambell and Friend is working very well.
6. Wests - I'm basing this on the possibility of their signings of Lima and to a lesser extent Tuquiri. They've still recruited well and with Benji in form and their young backline players stepping up towards the end of this year they should increase as a force next season.
7. Manly - I think they'll slip as some of their senior players (Orford, Kite, Lyon) seemed to fall of the pace the back end of this season. I've a feeling the best football may be behind them. They've still got enough quality to win plenty of games and easily make the top 8 though.
8. Brisbane - I'll put them in their because even when they're looking bad they still magically happen to make the top 8. Hell, they even made it this year after losing a stack of players and Wayne Bennett to boot. Weak forward pack, but it's hard to predict the Broncos not being their finals time.
9. North QLD - Seriously they've got problems. I just don't have faith in them to make the finals anymore. They've got the world's best halfback in their side yet they've still missed the semis the past 2 years. With Bowen out for most of the season they've lessened their chances too. I don't have the confidence to predict Cows to play the finals.
10. Newcastle - They should win enough games at home to be close to the top 8, especially with their first choice front row available next season. Not sure about their coach though he's still unproven and a lot of their players are simply too inconsistent at times
11. St George Illawarra - My big dippers. They were found out in the finals with predictable style of play and unless massive changes in structure with Wayne Bennett next year, sides will play on this and take advantages of their weaknesses. I don't think players like Soward or Weymen will be able to reproduce their form of this year and without a strike weapon like other premiership contenders I think they may struggle.
12. Penrith - It wouldn't suprise me to see them make the 8 but it may be a year too early. Good young players in Coote and Graham, while Jennings will only get better. They need a decent halfback though and I think some of the youngsters still need a year of learning the ins and outs of first grade before they can be considered contenders.
13. Sydney Roosters - What a terrible season they've had... and they've lost 4 key forwards in O'Meley, Shackleton, Soliola, and Fitzgibbon. They would only get worse but I think Brian Smith will be disciplined enough to get the best out of some of the players, which means taking them away from the spoon.
14. Canberra - Same old thing for the Raiders every year, lose quality players and rely on youngsters to step up. They've a pretty good forward pack and good young backs, but they still can't win away from home. I don't know if David Furner is a good coach either, he had them playing some football this year which just didn't suit them.
15. NZ - I don't know what went wrong this year. They had a top 4 side on paper which just didn't perform. Kemp, Jones, McKinnon fell from grace. And with instability in the halves Cleary still releases Fien and Witt mid season. They may bounce back, but with last year's attitude problems I don't see how they can.
16. Cronulla - And by a mile. Seriously they look terrible. They have easily the worst backline in the comp, and while some solid forwards in Douglas, Gallen and Tupou, their pack is still one of the weaker ones. They've no halfback and some of Ricky Stuart's recruiting decisions need to be questioned. He releases Kimmorley who has his best season in yrs, and then replaces De Gois with Corey Hughes. Big Wooden spoon heading their way next year.

I'm going to have to disagree with you a little here about the key forwards.

Fitzgibbon yes.

Soliola definitely not a key forward. He'd only just moved into the forwards for the last couple of games.
O'Meley not a key forward anymore in today's game and it was showing.

Shackelton was playing well around the time he was negotiating his contract then tapered off visibly. Yet to see if he really is that "key".

And we are picking up Warea-Hargreaves & Ryles (and Conn, who is neither here nor there) so I think we've done alright with the forwards.

Plus, hopefully we'll be able to push Maubs into the forwards where he belongs now that we've got a few more outside backs.

typicalfan

Coach
Well comparing them to the Dragons backline of

Boyd
Morris
Cooper
Scott
Sailor
Soward
Hornby

The Eels will have

Hayne
Inu
Tahu
Reddy
Grothe
Mortimer
Robson

I would have

Hayne
Morris
Tahu
Reddy
Grothe
Mortimer
Hornby

that is 5-2 even if Soward/Mortimer is debatable.

Eels Dude

Coach

Parramatta beat every side in the competition this season except for Manly and *cough* the Roosters. So that's 14 out of 16, and 14 of the top 15.

So you're basically saying that every other side in the competition except for Manly are either crap or had an 'off day'?

whatwhat

Juniors
1 Storm
2 Cowboys
3 Raiders
4 Eels
5 Dragons
6 Dogs
7 Rabbits
8 Tigers
9 Titans
10 Manly
11 Broncos
12 Sharks
13 Warriors
14 Roosters
15 Panthers
16 Knights

Tom Ace

Bench
Parramatta beat every side in the competition this season except for Manly and *cough* the Roosters. So that's 14 out of 16, and 14 of the top 15.

So you're basically saying that every other side in the competition except for Manly are either crap or had an 'off day'?

So you're basically saying we should of been in the grand final :sarcasm:

That is, if I apply the Pommy way of thinking.

Eels Dude

Coach
I'm going to have to disagree with you a little here about the key forwards.

Fitzgibbon yes.

Soliola definitely not a key forward. He'd only just moved into the forwards for the last couple of games.
O'Meley not a key forward anymore in today's game and it was showing.

Shackelton was playing well around the time he was negotiating his contract then tapered off visibly. Yet to see if he really is that "key".

And we are picking up Warea-Hargreaves & Ryles (and Conn, who is neither here nor there) so I think we've done alright with the forwards.

Plus, hopefully we'll be able to push Maubs into the forwards where he belongs now that we've got a few more outside backs.

Yeah fair enough but that's a lot of experience gone. Ryles is an equal replacement for O'Meley but your other two recruits are still fringe first graders while you're losing 3 seasoned first graders. Overall I still believe your forward pack will be weaker next season.

ostrich20

Juniors
11 Manly Sea Eagles - They rely so much on Brett Stewart that they could be minor premiers, or well down the ladder. Kieran Foran is the other key for them, big big future for him.

We must have relied on him massive this year to get to the fifth....

sallymay

Juniors
why does everyone think storm will be minor premiers when this year no one thought they would get anywhere
here is mine

1. Bulldogs
2. Eels
3. Dragons
4. Tigers
5. Storm
6. Raiders
7. Broncos
8.Titans
9.Sea Eagles
10.Panthers
11.Cowboys
12.Sharks
13.Knights
14.Rabbitohs
15.Warriors
16.Roosters

grandorient

Bench
1. Saints
2. Bulldogs
3. Eels
4. Broncos
5. Storm
6. Manly
7. Tits
8.Tigers
9. Rabbitoes
10.Knights
11.Panthers
12.Roosters
13. Cows
14. Raiders
15.Warriors
16. Sharks

I'd be surprised if at least 6 of the top 8 didn't make the 8 and the bottom 8 could be any order in the 8.

Surprises may be Souths and Knights.

Saints may have an outstanding year, or a year thats pretty ordinary by their standards, but even so, will make the top 8.

Hows that for hedging your bets and sitting on the fence.

GO

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Well comparing them to the Dragons backline of

Boyd
Morris
Cooper
Scott
Sailor
Soward
Hornby

The Eels will have

Hayne
Inu
Tahu
Reddy
Grothe
Mortimer
Robson

I would have

Hayne
Morris
Tahu
Reddy
Grothe
Mortimer
Hornby

that is 5-2 even if Soward/Mortimer is debatable.

Epic lol.. put Cooper against Tahu and Scott against Reddy to achieve desired result eh? :lol:

Hayne
Morris
Cooper
Tahu
Grothe
Soward
Mortimer

JMO.

Timmah6991

Juniors
1. St George Dragons
2. Brisbane Broncos
3. Parramatta Eels
4. Melbourne Storm
5. North Queensland Cowboys
6. Gold Coast Titans
7. West Tigers
8. Penrith Panthers

9. Manly Sea Eagles
10. South Sydney Rabbitohs
11. Canterbury Bulldogs
12. New Zealand Warriors
13. Canberra Raiders
14. Cronulla Sharks
15. Newcastle Knights
16. Sydney Roosters

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Not having a go - but any specific reason you've got the 'Dogs dropping to 11th? :?