What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PRELIMINARY FINAL (2008) WARRIORS v TITANS

rayroxon

Juniors
Keep your head down and have a "real" steak in memory of those of us who can't.
You have imaginary steaks in China?

When the cat and the fiddle saw the cow jump over the moon they were heard to say "The steaks are certainly high"

Q: How did Buffy kill the Vegetarian Vampire?
A: With a steak

You should come and pick up some cow from over our way. Customs won't even mind cos it's steak away.

Q: What did the lead singer of A-ha say when he got in a food fight?
A: Steak on me

And I'm spent...

I think I've just cost us the game with that lot of tripe...

Amadean

Juniors
You have imaginary steaks in China?

When the cat and the fiddle saw the cow jump over the moon they were heard to say "The steaks are certainly high"

Q: How did Buffy kill the Vegetarian Vampire?
A: With a steak

You should come and pick up some cow from over our way. Customs won't even mind cos it's steak away.

Q: What did the lead singer of A-ha say when he got in a food fight?
A: Steak on me

And I'm spent...

I think I've just cost us the game with that lot of tripe...

Keep your cowlick flat ray, I'm sure Pistol won't have any beef with your bovine puns; avoiding plays on words is hardly the sacred cow of F7s.

Personally, I think a bullocking run of puns should be considered the meat of this comp, no bull! When people ask "Where's the beef?" they should be lead by the nose to our strong-as-an-ox forum where our rib-tickling sweetbreads will leave them cowed, unless bovine humour acts as a red rag to a bull.

*runs and hides*

Amadean

Juniors
Impressive! I didn't think anything could beat my bacon tiara, nice work.

Though I do love the piggy-jewelery disclaimer:

You are going to be working with an enzyme that bonds protein. You are made of protein. Unless you want to glue your lungs together or glue your eyelids to your eyeballs, you absolutely must follow these safety rules. We cannot be held accountable for any mishaps you might have while working with transglutaminase.

Titanic

First Grade
_40722818_cowpat203.jpg

Now that's putting your hoof in it!

Last edited:

rayroxon

Juniors
Impressive! I didn't think anything could beat my bacon tiara, nice work.

That is the sexiest piece of headwear ever. That disclaimer is heavy weight as well...I guess it's needed...

As good as the salt lick is, I don't know if it quite trumps the tiara. I'm happy to share honours there Amadean; honours to what though I'm not too sure...

Pistol

Coach
Warriors

Jesbass with Rugby League España = 86

The writer is on holiday, on a Contiki tour and still wants to get his Rugby League fix. That’s commitment. Solid writing without possessing the killer blow. Good effort.

Sportsthought with Robsterlicious! = 83

The writer displays his own positive view on one Forum Sevens player. The writing was ok but I am reading it and waiting for something to pop out, but unfortunately nothing did.

MKEB with Football: The Great Leveller = 88

Ahh yes drinking beer and watching footy. Is there anything better? Perhaps the old meat pie as opposed to the vindaloo (which doesn’t happen to agree with me but I wont go into that into too much detail). The writing was creative and descriptive. Well done.

BRF with No Surprises = 86

The writer put forward examples to explain that the Warriors victory over the Storm was by no means a surprise. The writing was solid but it needed that extra bit of oomph to get it over.

Rayroxon (by proxy) with And Here’s To You = 88

The writer pays tribute to his teacher who taught him what passion is and how it equates to life and football. And in some cases, if your team gets lucky, then well, you know the rest…. Simple formula, but it was well written and a good effort.

Titans

Titanic with In Support of the Fan = 88

A unique perspective, not only looking into the “fan” but providing statistics to prove that some common held beliefs are merely apocryphal tales. Well written.

Bgdc with Dear Bobby = 94

I read the first Dear Bobby part and I laughed out loud. It continued throughout the whole piece. From start to finish, creative, funny, and more innuendos than you can poke a stick at.

Tits&tans with ERL = 85

This piece although unique and creative, was very slow to start. I found it lacked that bit of zing at the start to really help gather momentum. Commendable effort though.

TitanUranus with Titans’ Possible Signings = 86

A different look on recruiting methods, whilst also giving a history lesson. Solid work.

Amadean with Eating Cake = 87

The writer certainly didn’t hold back on his views. A good old fashioned rant, well presented.

Titans defeat the Warriors

440 – 431

POTM – bgdc

rayroxon

Juniors
Ah well Warriors, we couldn't go one better on last year but went down fighting. Well done gang on a long and rewarding season!

Pistol - thanks as always for the marks and feedback. It's not the first time I've had something I've produced described as simple and it won't be the last either I fear haha :D

Titans - Well done! What a great debut season! I hope you can keep it rolling in the gf eh bro? It's always a pleasure to play you and I look forward to next season already.

Last but not least - BGDC, you were a class above and a deserved POTM, great stuff!

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
Congrats to the Titans, and good luck in the Grand Final!!

Warriors, well done. Feels like a long year hasn't it fellas? Let's go enjoy our break! hehe.

And not to sound like a nag, but it be good if everyone does some form of writing still if you get the chance. After all, nothing better than practice!

Titanic

First Grade
Titans: congratulations team, the Grand Final awaits - bgdc great effort and the rest of youse guys... just fantastic. I suppose there's only one more thing to do and that's take "Mohamed" to the mountain.

Warriors: a draw and a one point loss gave the team the necessary resolve to dig deep for Titans v Warriors III - in the history of F7's there couldn't have been more intense rivalry than 3 matches in 4 outings - thanks for the spirit in which the games have been played and we too look forward to renewing the challenge next year.

Pistol: a difficult job well done, thanks for the effort.

Bluebags: no personal challenges, please - you guys are well-deserving undefeated defending premiers and all I can offer is an assurance that we will bring our "A" games next week, to keep you all honest :)

bgdc

Juniors
Thank you all for those kind words - I am overwhelmed by the situation I find myself in. yeee haaa wooooo!

Amadean

Juniors
Thanks for the reffing Pistol! Having a well-explained scores come up nice and early certainly shaves some of the sweat from the weekend.

bgdc, congrats on the fantastic score, nicely done. You've been a real asset to the Titans this season and I take back the vast majority of snide remarks I made about you. For the record, I no longer give full credence to the rumour that you were born when Queen Victoria reigned and subsist solely on a diet of nitrates, diesel combustion residue and nitrites. .

Warriors, head to head, Titans are now 1-1-1 with your good selves, a result chain that perfectly illustrates how close the two sides are. I always enjoy reading your pieces and look forward to running up against the Kiwis come the world cup.
I have a great deal of respect for the excellent players who turn up in the black-and-white, thanks again for the great matches.

Now comes the yuckky bit. Sportsthought, you are a patronising arse with far less writing ability than you imagine.
Writing a holier-than-thou, sarcastic and massively condescending piece about a fellow F7s player is the work of an insecure little person. Your "domestic abuse and rape is the women's fault for hanging out with Leaguies" piece a couple of weeks back was bad, your snide pseudo-attack on Robster, in a semi-final no less, was worse.

Madunit wrote this in response to griffo346's suggestion of a softc*ck of the year award:

that's real smart, turn people away, when we already have teams struggling for numbers.

Certainly not one of your best.

I like the F7s, I like the good-natured banter between players and teams and I like the unanimous support offered by genuinely nice people.
Sportsthought mate, I'm only a rookie with 100 posts to my name, but I don't think sarcastic, patronising one-upmanship has a place here.

Mods: correct me if I'm wrong.

rayroxon

Juniors
Thanks for the reffing Pistol! Having a well-explained scores come up nice and early certainly shaves some of the sweat from the weekend.

bgdc, congrats on the fantastic score, nicely done. You've been a real asset to the Titans this season and I take back the vast majority of snide remarks I made about you. For the record, I no longer give full credence to the rumour that you were born when Queen Victoria reigned and subsist solely on a diet of nitrates, diesel combustion residue and nitrites. .

Warriors, head to head, Titans are now 1-1-1 with your good selves, a result chain that perfectly illustrates how close the two sides are. I always enjoy reading your pieces and look forward to running up against the Kiwis come the world cup.
I have a great deal of respect for the excellent players who turn up in the black-and-white, thanks again for the great matches.

Now comes the yuckky bit. Sportsthought, you are a patronising arse with far less writing ability than you imagine.
Writing a holier-than-thou, sarcastic and massively condescending piece about a fellow F7s player is the work of an insecure little person. Your "domestic abuse and rape is the women's fault for hanging out with Leaguies" piece a couple of weeks back was bad, your snide pseudo-attack on Robster, in a semi-final no less, was worse.

Madunit wrote this in response to griffo346's suggestion of a softc*ck of the year award:

I like the F7s, I like the good-natured banter between players and teams and I like the unanimous support offered by genuinely nice people.
Sportsthought mate, I'm only a rookie with 100 posts to my name, but I don't think sarcastic, patronising one-upmanship has a place here.

Thanks for the feedback Amadean. I'll let ST respond in full but I'll admit, the topic was always going to push buttons. In ST submitting it we've submitted it as a team and it echoes our sentiments about our former team mate and the value he brings to a squad and a forum. The internet is a tough medium in which to gauge sarcasm, irony or other tone but I believe that the article was written as a neutral observer would, to convey that Robster is a good guy with a lot of enthusiasm for both forms of the game. If it's missed the mark and offended, well apologies, I'd hate for that to sour the rivalry. That said, if Robster has a problem with it, I'm sure he's able to come out and say something and we'd be happy to address it.

As for your thoughts on ST, he stirs the pot that's for sure, but I feel a couple of those comments were out of line. That said, he's a big boy, if he has a problem with it I'm sure he'll pipe up and say so.

Once again, best of luck next week against the 'bags and I hope that this is water under the bridge.

Wow...that was a heck of a lot of hot air for someone that was going to allow another to reply in full...

Titanic

First Grade
Titanic wades into the debate ... Ray as you know and the site administrators know, we have had issues over this issue as a team and resolved them privately amongst the team. The Warriors publicly rejected his request to return to your team so the hypocrisy of ST's article smacks of a cheap shot.

Jesbass

First Grade

As captain of the team in question, I ultimately have to cop the blame. I definitely read it in a different, more positive light - but I can certainly see how it has been viewed in this manner. However, might I suggest that this would all be better sorted out (if still necessary) via private means?

Rob, mate, if you read this, (and I'm assuming you will), don't be discouraged. I saw the piece as a positive form of encouragment on the whole. I don't think offense was intended, and as opposition captain, I sincerely apologise if it was received.

Now, with all of that out the way, congrats to the Titans on a deserved victory. Bgdc's article stod head and shoulders above the rest, and was deserving in its POTM award. Good luck against them schemin' 'baggers next match, Titans - you'll need it! ;-)

Pistol, thanks for the fair marking. After full time, I suspected this woud be the result, so I guess real life now mimicks the F7s Warriors. :D

Ah well, there's always next year... \\\\:D/

Last edited:

Jesbass

First Grade
Captain's Knock:

And so the playing field has been leveled, with the Titans winning the match and squaring the ledger.

To Pistol, many thanks for your prompt and fair marking, even if it means we've stumbled one match short of the grand final, just like our real life counterparts. Enjoy the time off from refereeing as you work to make the World Cup a tournament to remember. :thumn

To the Titans, congratulations on the victory and your debut grand final appearance. This is what folk like me aspire to. Good luck in the big one! :D

To the Warriors, our season may be over but we've given the competition a good shake. Third place is nothing to be ashamed of, and we refused to go gentle into that good night. I would like to take this opportunity to personally thank the players who have donned the black and silver e-jersey of the Warriors in season 2008: rayroxon (11 matches), byrne_rovelli_fan82 (9 matches), sportsthought (8 matches), MKEB... (7 matches), JonB (3 matches), Misanthrope (2 matches), Bay Vikings (2 matches), and Swanley (1 match). :clap: It has been an honour to lead you all into battle, and I hope to do so again in 2009.