What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Preliminary World 7s Squad

Anyone have any early ideas for a World 7s squad this early on? Presuming Tony Butterfield and the players association don't boycott the weekend, most teams have a good chance to just parade around some youngsters for a bit of fun and maybe even some early combinations for the halves to the backline.

We have a few dilemmas in the backline coming in to next year. We've bought a heap of them and already have a few coming to the twilight of their careers. Then there's the injuries...

The team I'd take and why... Is there a limit on squads? I'd consider taking basically two teams down. Last year they went horribly on the Saturday and ended up throwing (literally with O'Davis' blown try) their Plate (?) game the next day to ensure they wouldn't lose player to injury. Taking two teams will at least ensure players get the feel of the team and if they do stuff it on the first day again, they can play the rest of the games just to give them some experience out in the middle. These are in no order or position, either.

1. Russell Richardson - Must have. He's experienced and has what it takes to be a first grader, but he's going to need to work hard in the off-season if he wants to start there.

2. Josh Smith - Big year coming up for this guy. I'm not sure he was too impressed with his first grade performances so far, but since he started there in the World Club Challenge you've got to wonder how many more chances he's going to have.

3. Kurt Gidley - Still needs to cement a position in the top grade. Has the inside running on 5/8 with Rudder leaving, but still faces questions of where he's going to play long-term. Every start he's ever had is when someone else has been injured. I wouldn't waste Johns in this tournament, so let him be the first receiver.

4. Steve Witt - Outside chance of getting the starting 5/8 role, but he'll have to work pretty hard in the pre-season. Let him and Kurt duke it out in each game until Round 1 next year, I say.

5. Luke Quigley - Handy kicker and will obviously do the running from dummy-half. He also needs to find out where he'll be contributing to the Knights this year. I wouldn't take Buderus to the SFS, like Johns he should be rested.

6. Daniel Abraham - Good running back-rowers always go well in these tournaments. No reason not to send him. If he's to have a representative year, he's going to have to show he's keen.

7. Robbie O'Davis - He always seems to enjoy the weekend. Let him have another go to show off. It'll get it out of his system for the season proper. He can also help bring the backs on for his retirement.

EDIT: This next one must have been cropped accidently.... and by me this time.

8. Blake Mueller - On the verge of more game time and at 21 (next year) he's got to start performing. Here is a chance, up to him to take it.

9. Clint Newton - Will he be ready? This is probably the biggest year he'll face to date. He has to _perform_ in everything.

10. Jamie Fitzgerald - Can play anywhere if we need him in these games. He also needs to work out what he's going to do for us next season. Give him a fair go in the pre-season, I say.

11. Anthony Quinn - Form was down at times in 2003, will need some more confidence now that MacDougall is gone and he is officially* the winger for good. (* = See next player)

12. Craig Hall - Well, maybe Quinn isn't the replacement afterall. Without injury, this guy is a force. With injury, he still goes alright. I'm looking for a big year from Hall and I'm going to tip him to end the year on the wing, barring injury.

13. Michael Ennis - Hard worker and will probably get a look at for a bench spot sometime through the year. Good chance for him to get in with the boys and just get ready for his chance somewhere down the line.

14. Timana Tahu - Will need game time after an ordinary finish to 2003. Barring risk of injury, I'd give him a go to be his flashy self. Throw the ball to him a lot to let him work on his handling too.

Jedda

Juniors
Has a date been set for the Footy 7's next year?

Any idea where I can find out more about it?

Sounds like it was a great couple of days last year - would be interested in making the trip over just to have a look-see.

Here's hoping the Knights can field a more competitive team next year, although it didn't really help Paramatta much, did it?! :shock:

(Sorry about that last remark G_G :( )

roopy

Referee
I don't think we tried to win the sevens last year, and i don't know why because we have the players to do it.

I'd build the team around the passing game of Johns. We don't need guys like Matt Gidley who also have a good passing game, just Johns.
Next I'd put in Robbie O mostly for his cover defence and Tahu, Witt and Kidley for their evasive running skills. The rest of the squad would be fit and fast forwards - Kennedy, Lowrie, Buddy Jaques, Newton if fit, Esatheo if fit, Buderus for sure, Mueller for his high workrate and massive fend which makes him hard to stop once he is in the clear, Fitzgerald and maybe Simmo if we need some size in the team.

I honestly wouldn't waste Buderus if he's got a nagging Achillies problem. If he holds up after the tour I'd only give him light running right up until two weeks before the season proper. I've also never liked the idea of using Johns in the 7s either. Especially when we treated it so lightly last year. It just wasn't worth the risk.

I wouldn't go with too many forwards either. Especially Ben Kennedy with his track record of injuries. Lowrie is a good choice, but I get the feeling Estatheo is on his last chance so he might not want to risk it in the 7s.

antonius

Coach
O'Davis
Tahu
Hall
Quinn
Ennis
Kidley
Richardson
Witt
Abraham
Newton
Matt Kennedy
Simmo
Quigley
Price
Lowrie

We should should go all out to win the thing God knows the club could use the money.

Kaz

junior
I just hope my team takes the 7's seriously.

In all the years the 7's have been played, the Broncos have had their flights booked well in advance.

They are always home before the Final is played. :shock:

Anonymous

Juniors
Well goign on past trends, whoever wins the 7's goes shitty in the real thing.

;-) ;-) :lol: :lol:

So I'll be rooting for the Roosters.

Alan Shore

First Grade
You don't need Johns to win the 7s.

Witt is the best 7s player in the world, and won the title for Parramatta last year.

aqua_duck

Coach
I think we need more outside backs, this year we really struggled, anfd we had absolutely no speed what so ever in the team without T. He'd be looking to give some of the young backs a go, a guy like Tremain-Cannon could be a real success with his pace, and it'd be good for Michael Young to get some experience.

Can you imagine a full strength panthers team, imagine Campbell and Wesser playing together in 7 a side, scary.

Big Tim

First Grade
Didnt take it seriously last year?? We took it damned serious, Hages just took the wrong players. After we lost the first game and couldnt Win the thing outright, we rested all our "better" players.

We need speed, speed, speed and did I say speed?? In a squad of 14 u need 4 playmakers (2 that can play hooker, and others that are first recievers) 3-4 fast and strong backrowers, with good defence. The rest are speed men, who can chase kicks and go up for the high ball.

That is the way to win the 7's. Good playmakers, from hooker aswell, strong defence, big running backrowers that go over the top of people and fast men out wide that can score from anywhere. One of the problems is that we can use the 7's to play some of our youngsters, but that may lower our chances of winning. But it is a great experience to play in front of that many people.

Dilemmas, dilemmas, dilemmas. :? :? :?

Second phase play is what really wins these games. If you can attract two or three players and get away an offload then you're on your way to easy points.

roopy

Referee
Ennis is someone I forgot about.
He should be a sensation at 7s because he can sniff out a try from anywhere.

He's in my squad. He'd work hard in defence too, which while not as important in 7s could come in handy just for a bit of effect.

antonius

Coach
Yep Ennis was one of my first picks.
What about Fortier, he's got a bit of speed, and he's evasive, anyone know if his leg would be fixed by then?

Big Tim

First Grade
I saw Mike at Surf City a few weeks ago (God he was hot!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ) and he was walking, so I guess that is a good sign, I'd assume running too. You are right though, he would be a great guy for 7's.

DMC, defence is so important in 7's. Well 1 on 1 defence anyway. If you can tackle your man, 1 on 1, everytime he gets the ball, he aint gonna score points. The whole idea of 7's is to draw a man and pass the ball to the one in the clear. Centres and wingers have to trust each other to make tackles or it all falls apart in a matter of seconds.

Latest posts