What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Premier League countdown and pre-season sledging thread.

Macca_

Coach
Bumble said:
Yes...you did well for half the season without Henry and RVP. The sh!t half came after they were injured.
Mate your opinion won't change but be careful writing them off... There's a number of very good youngsters that got plenty of action due to injuries etc and they'll be so much better for it. A player like Eduardo will score goals with his work off the ball and the service he will get. Van P will be enormous now he's the 'main' man and as someone said, Theo has been going great guns since his surgery. As I said, Ferguson believes we'll be better now TH has gone. It does remain to be seen, but there's a number of positives that out weight the one negative people give - Henry leaving... Will see what happens, but don't be to quick to write them off...

Macca_

Coach
Tonearm Terrorwrist said:
eduardo is hyped on his under 21 national team form.
Actually just on the one piece of worthwhile comment you did make, at least he does have some hype. The question I posed to you about players being 'proven' still remains. A lot of the time, Arsenal signings aren't proven, nor do they come with any hype. But he is 24 now. Probably seen the best of him at under 21 level ala Rosicky at Dortmund.

Macca_ said:
Struck a nerve? :lol:

I just thought you might have had something given that you said NP was to young to see Rosicky's apparent 'best form'. Thought wrong, your best is above and how good is it! :lol::lol::lol:

hmm. amongst all the laughing smilies i thought something was funny but by golly molly i haven't found it yet

enjoy your battle for inter toto qualification

Macca_

Coach
hmm. amongst all the laughing smilies i thought something was funny but by golly molly i haven't found it yet
I'm affraid it's not the only thing you're missing there mate. You'll get there though, maybe.

enjoy your battle for inter toto qualification
Somebody put him out, he's on fire!

It'd be better if you had something to back it up, but you appear to excel at talking cr*p. Which to your credit, you do well.

Hopefully Wenger sells Rosicky seing his past it. Might be able to bring someone in to help us with Inter Toto quals.

Tom Shines

First Grade
So, the pre season sledging has begun!!!

Just for the record Tonearm, support anyone in the Premiership?

funny how i never said he was past it i said his best form was with dortmund dickhead. he might eclipse his performances with dortmund he might not only time will tell but his national team and club performances were superior when he was with borussian than since at arsenal

9 months to go, what excuses do you have lined up for being 30 points off the pace from chelski and man u?

wheesly. i don't really support any premiership team like you guys do i just really watch the games and enjoy them from a neutral perspective. i like getting into the underdogs, usualy recently promoted sides. i kept an interest in villa since the bosnich days and i don't mind bolton. as a staunch hater of man united man city are my friends and love nothing more than city ripping into man u. i'll support anyone playing chelski, liverpool and man united

Macca_

Coach
funny how i never said he was past it i said his best form was with dortmund dickhead.
Struck a nerve? Poor dear.

You talk about excuses in 9 months time for Arsenal yet you say only time will tell with regards to Rosicky exceeding what he done at Dortmund or not. I'll go with time will tell for both of them and leave you to name calling. It's what you're good at.

Nevcost

Juniors
Macca_ said:
And you've been where for the past decade? Past 2 seasons they were 4th, before that under Wenger they hadn't finished outside the top 2. Perenial 4th placers... :lol:

Henry is a past era now. I'll look at the positive side and think we can be better with out him. Alex Ferguson seems to think we will be too and his opinion is sometimes worth listening too.

Where have Arsenal been the past 2 seasons, at least Liverpool won the FA Cup in 2005/06. I'm not confident on Liverpool taking out the Premier League unless we sign a new CB and LB.

Macca_

Coach
Nevcost said:
Where have Arsenal been the past 2 seasons, at least Liverpool won the FA Cup in 2005/06.
That doesn't make them perenial 4th place getters though... As I said, the 6 or 7 seasons before that they finished top 2 and won 3 FA Cups. Every team goes through 'rebuilding' stages and it's hard to continuously be at the top. Bringing on a 'new' squad is what Wenger has been doing the past couple of seasons. It's a credit to them that they have stayed in the top 4. The new crop is just about ready, a new era is about to begin for the club. I think they'll surprise a lot of people this season. Not meaning they'll go and win a few trophies, but they won't take a fall like some are predicting.

Bumble

First Grade
Macca_ said:
Actually just on the one piece of worthwhile comment you did make, at least he does have some hype. The question I posed to you about players being 'proven' still remains. A lot of the time, Arsenal signings aren't proven, nor do they come with any hype. But he is 24 now. Probably seen the best of him at under 21 level ala Rosicky at Dortmund.

I think he will be a success (I'm contemplating buying him in Fantasy) but he really hasn't proved anything yet. the HNL is a nothing league, but I guess he can only do the best with what he's given.

In my mind, there are 7 teams who have the management, financial strength and fan support to win the league. Those are: Spurs, Newcastle, Arsenal, City, United, Chelsea and Liverpool. It would be amazing to see all 7 fighting hard for the top 4 spots...but realistically I think it's gonna be 2006/07 all over again - except perhaps with Chelsea winning.

Macca_

Coach
For sure, despite any rilvaries, that would be great for the league.

On Eduardo, he scored 34 goals in the Croation League last season. As you say, it's not a patch on the EPL but nor is the standard of player around him re service. How many of Henry's goals could you attribute to the play of Fabregas etc? If Eduardo does the work off the ball and gets into the positions he does to score bags of goals, he'll net plenty in a side that has in the past created a lot of chances. Last season with Van Persie and Henry out in the second half of the season, Adebayor, Baptista, Aliadiere and a raw Walcott simply didn't finish enough of the chances that were created for them. Van Persie, Eduardo, Adebayor, Bendtner and an improved Walcott, I believe will net far more often. As long as we keep providing the chances, which I see happening with the likes of Rosicky, Fabregas, Gilberto, Denilson and Diaby.

Re the fantasy teams, it will be interesting to see what price they put Eduardo up at... I haven't looked into any yet, but will be. Will also be interesting to see if Wenger gives him a lot of starts early... Adebayor and Van Persie did link well together when paired last season on a few occasions.

Kiwishark

Juniors
I think Eduardo has scored 8 goals in 12 Euro 2008 qualifiers for Croatia, including one against England. Something like that.

Internationals are at a higher standard than the Croatian League.

It will be interesting to see how he goes this season, early mumbles are positive.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
I don't follow any EPL side, however with the signing of Bianchi I may jump on the Man City bandwagon.

Apparently Sven has bidded for Giorgio Chiellini (Juventus) and Manuel Blasi (Fiorentina) as well. Nice Italian contingent there.

And that away kit is sex.

Tom Shines

First Grade
hybrid_tiger said:
I don't follow any EPL side, however with the signing of Bianchi I may jump on the Man City bandwagon.

Apparently Sven has bidded for Giorgio Chiellini (Juventus) and Manuel Blasi (Fiorentina) as well. Nice Italian contingent there.

And that away kit is sex.
You know what Hybrid, maybe there's hope for you yet.
;-)

Dragooner

Bench
I'm same with Macca, after injuries to King and Lennon I had to change my squad (no spurs now :D ) and saw it, much better than before, it was BORING!