What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Premier League side v Newtown

roopy

Referee
3rd placed Knights v 11th placed Newtown

Knights have Karawana back in and willie Tupou back on the bench - the wingers Uate (injured) and Poleo (playing for country) are out and this Johnson guy who came down a few weeks ago from the cowboys squad is in - and Terrence will be out of the named side i suppose - but it is basically the side that has been winning and winning well - against a Newtown side that has been dropping down the ladder steadily since looking good early in the season.

Hinton
Gordon
Franze
Hession
Johnson
Karawana
Dureau
Natusch
Seu Seu
Laban
Hartman
Steel
Brown

Thurston
Ling
Larry Tuafua
Sorrensen
Willie Tupou

Sacrolishes

Juniors
geat to have Tupou back..be good to see him have some luck and no more injuries..that way he can continue to show his promising form!! great to see Marvan back too he was looking the goods!!

this obviously at home roops?? be good to see a lower grades game for once..been a while!!

roopy

Referee
Sacrolishes said:
be good to see a lower grades game for once..been a while!!
It will be good to see what they are doing right.
The forwards are babies - with Timmy, Hanan, Terrence, Larry, ling and sorrenson (for Parra) all in Flegg last season - and hartman and steele the year before - and even Brown not being that old.
It will be interesting to see how Hartman goes after 10 or so games in the forwards - he was a sh*t winger.

Sacrolishes

Juniors
It will be interesting to see how Hartman goes after 10 or so games in the forwards - he was a sh*t winger.[/quote]

haha so true!! been hearing he's been playing wide on the ruck and been rnning some good meters..saw him at beach the other day freakin solid as!!

it may be the only good game to watch!!!:?

hot frost

Juniors
roopy said:
It will be interesting to see how Hartman goes after 10 or so games in the forwards - he was a sh*t winger.

He was never a winger before he joined the Knights. Always played in the centres as a junior and in first grade for the Ghosts and carved up. It would be good for anyone who will be at the game to give a report on how he's going.

girvie

Staff member
It's very interesting to see Karl Johnson named on the wing.

He played for North Sydney last year and was outstanding. He won Player of the Year and the Players' Players award. He is a great attacker and very physical in defence, often treating defenders like a rag doll.

I hope he shows the form he did at Norths with Newcastle and breaks into first grade.

Skinner

Coach
girvie said:
It's very interesting to see Karl Johnson named on the wing.

He played for North Sydney last year and was outstanding. He won Player of the Year and the Players' Players award. He is a great attacker and very physical in defence, often treating defenders like a rag doll.

I hope he shows the form he did at Norths with Newcastle and breaks into first grade.

Is that the same Karl Johnson girvs ? I thought he was at Nth Qld playing for the young
guns.

Cheers
Skinner

Jono078

Referee
There is also a Karl Johnson who signed with the Sharks for 200k a year from the Bulldogs, may be thinking of him girvie? Apparently he is the next SBW...

knights9

Juniors
Jono078 said:
There is also a Karl Johnson who signed with the Sharks for 200k a year from the Bulldogs, may be thinking of him girvie? Apparently he is the next SBW...

Isn't that McNichol ?

Jono078

Referee
knights9 said:
Isn't that McNichol ?
:oops:

You're right, I was talking about someone about Karl Johnson and they mentioned the Sharks signing him.

I blame them for that confusion! :shock:

jhonny bravo

Juniors
I have been watching Karl Johnson play the past few weeks at Wests and this bloke is HUGE for a centre/ winger very simlar build to that of Ben Smith but a bit quicker. He has got the player player in 3 of the 4 weeks he has played. He does have tendancy to do what Quinny used to do and run across field. Given that he is extremely skillful and can break a tackle. He can offload very similar to SBW its a bit freakish sometimes but knows when and how to run a great line. You will see him play a bit of centre this week too. He will play first grade next year too. Very exciting

roopy

Referee
Pole'o is another huge Islander who is really making a mark. He scored 2 tries for country against a Jim Beam cup side just the other day - the only problem being he is 27 i think.

We have some Islanders for the backline next year.

Carmont (Samoa)
Uate (Fiji)
Naigama (Fiji)
Vuna (Samoa)
Johnson
Pole'o

Our potential Islander side for firstgrade.

Naigama
Uate
Johnson
Vuna
Pole'o
Karawana
Sammy Stewart (Flegg)
Royal
Seu seu
Laban
Tuafua (Tonga)
Tuafua (Tonga)
Taia (Cook Islands)

roopy

Referee
Brilliant win 19-18
Newtown was up 18-0 10 minutes into the second half.
Hard to say what we were doing wrong - just not getting the bounce of the ball i think - but led by Dureau, Brown and Thurston the guys dug deep and stole the game with Dureau setting up the first try by chipping ahead for himself, regathering and putting a guy over under the posts - then both Thurston and Brown scored tries with dummy half runs from 5 out after selling big dummies - Dureau slotted 3 from 3 and popped over the winning field goal from 35 out like shelling peas.

roopy

Referee
stand out players;

Johnson - a huge guy who did most things right - but he was tested under the high ball three times and spilt it three times
Karawana - some very strong defence
Dureau - outstanding kicking game - the best in any grade all year - and good passing game as well - best player on the field by heaps
Laban - the best forward i thought - no mistakes now and really strong and hardworking
Brown - lock is his position, and he looks a lot bigger this year

Thurston - did a lot of good work
Sorrensen - powerful guy - a brick sh*thouse - had a great game

Burwood

Bench
I got to the game with about one minute before Newcastle scored their first try of the night (very good timing on my behalf) and I was very impressed with Brown- he must be close to earning a recall to first grade. And I didn't see much of him, but that #5 is a massive lump of a guy.

roopy

Referee
Burwood said:
but that #5 is a massive lump of a guy.
He is huge, but if he can't learn to catch a high ball he will never play firstgrade as a winger.
He could play second row though.

roopy

Referee
hot frost said:
How did Hartmann go?
He wasn't a standout, but he did a good honest job as a forward and looked like breaking the line a lot without quite getting through.