What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Premiers !!!!!!!

Runaround Man

Juniors
I feel for any Melbourne players that got tatooed with "2009 Premiers" or "2007 Premiers" somewhere on their body.

They would be embarrased to show it now

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
It is ours. Why knock it back?

I want the history books to show:

YEAR PREMIERS
2006 Brisbane
2007 Many
2008 Manly
2009 Parramatta

Sorry Loudstrat, this doesn't work.

This ISN'T like the Olympics, where the next fastest wins, because the next best might not even be in the Grand Final.

If Melbourne aren't there (or are in the Finals but aren't as good), then the top 8 is totally different, and who knows what happens.

There is just as much of a case for the history books to show:

YEAR PREMIERS
2006 Brisbane
2007 Parramatta
2008 Manly
2009 Parramatta

because we were a Kris Inu boot away from being 4 down with 10 to play against Storm in 07 prelim, whereas Manly had their butts handed to them in the GF. After GF everyone said that the Prelim was the real GF, if you recall.

strider

Post Whore
oh casper .... i hope you enjoyed wasting your time writing/pasting those posts, cos I, and I'm sure others couldn't be stuffed reading all that :lol:

Gronk

Staff member
oh casper .... i hope you enjoyed wasting your time writing/pasting those posts, cos I, and I'm sure others couldn't be stuffed reading all that :lol:

Yeah sorry Casper, but I CBF reading any of your posts either. May I suggest a short summary with bullet points ? :lol:

RockWheel

Bench
Haven't gone through the mass of posts here so don't know if it has been brought up befor, but when I think of the 02 premiership and the Doggie's scandal seeing the Roosters take out the title, I always think of them holding the "Clayton's" cup for the premiership.

Would feel even worse to have it awarded to us now.

In saying that wouldn't mind the record books to show (manly) and (parramatta) in brackets for the respective years, to somehow acknowledge their efforts, with an asterix led explanation that Melbourne were stripped of the title for cheating.

Never understood that. The Roosters won it fairly, like every other team in every other season, bar '07 and '09 (and 1990 I suppose). But I do agree we shouldn't be given the premiership. If it makes people feel better we were the best team that didn't cheat in 2009. As it is, may as well move on.

2006 - Brisbane
2007 - not awarded
2008 - Manly
2009 - not awarded

That's how it should look.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
i agree that it wouldn't feel like a real premiership or breaking the drought since 1986, but i don't think the nrl can afford to have an asterix against the melbourne storm's name in the history books. it recognises their acheivement still which in 20-30 years should be avoided like the plague, it's a black mark in the games history that should be avoided.

RockWheel

Bench
i agree that it wouldn't feel like a real premiership or breaking the drought since 1986, but i don't think the nrl can afford to have an asterix against the melbourne storm's name in the history books. it recognises their acheivement still which in 20-30 years should be avoided like the plague, it's a black mark in the games history that should be avoided.

Just have it as 'not awarded' or something like that.

Swiftstylez

Bench
I spoke to a mate of mine who is relatively close to the club and players and asked him his opinion, he said and I quote.."if someone knocked on Hindy and Caylo's door and was told that they won the premiership here's ya ring, 1 would of thrown it over the fence the other would of flushed it..

I then decided right there and then that I don't want it, I'll take the bridesmaids medal any day of the week ahead of it,

If that is true then I am fine with us not getting the premiership, it's the players that come before the fans. I'd like to see a few interviews though first.

I think what Casper is trying to say is that there was something internal in the NRL that allowed this to happen, mainly news limited. Conspiracy. I dunno. I skimmed it, sum it up Casper lol.

Also I know it's just the one or two, but I don't see why a couple of you are vehemently opposing people that are upset about this news. We played by the rules whilst the Storm did not. It's disgusting.

Last edited:

Parra Guru

Coach
If you award the Eels the Grand Final due to the opposition cheating, you would also need to award Penrith their Round 2 game against the Bulldogs, who lost their points for having 14 players on the field when the winning try was scored. This would then mean Parramatta would not have made the Top 8.

At least you Eels folk could then claim an achievement unlikely to ever be repeated.....winning the premiership without having qualified for the finals.

If the Storm were stripped their points in 2009, wouldn't that mean the Panthers finish 7th and the Eels still 8th? I still believe Penrith should have been awarded the 2 points.

I don't want them to give us the premiership like that, but your rebuttal makes no sense.

Dragons_#1

Bench
Answer me this?

How can parra take the premiership when Melbourne cheated the whole season, not just in the grandfinal. Since Melbourne cheated the whole season, if they had been found out then the top 8 would have been totally different... Teams would have played different opponents ect...

Parra Guru

Coach
They're not taking the premiership, and most of us don't want it..... but no one else would have beaten us last year.

Ossie has said Parra will cop the decision on the chin, i was hoping he'd come out all guns blazing.

Food for thought - maybe a case of - People in glass houses.......

I hate to think it, but, I have my suspicions that there are a few teams that are probably doing it.

This could make things interesting for players, managers & clubs currently negotiating contracts?

Gronk

Staff member
Food for thought - maybe a case of - People in glass houses.......

I hate to think it, but, I have my suspicions that there are a few teams that are probably doing it.

This could make things interesting for players, managers & clubs currently negotiating contracts?

Oh yes, it's been going on for years. I heard Alan Jones this morning rant about the same thing. His example was the victorious 2000 Brisbane GF team. How did this bunch ever get under the cap ??

Darren Lockyer 1 Fullback
Lote Tuqiri 2 Wing
Tonie Carroll 3 Centre
Michael De Vere 4 Centre
Wendell Sailor 5 Wing
Ben Ikin 6 Five-eighth
Kevin Walters (C) 7 Halfback
Shane Webcke 8 Prop
Luke Priddis 9 Hooker
Dane Carlaw 10 Prop
Gorden Tallis 11 Second Row
Brad Thorn 12 Second Row