What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Premiers !!!!!!!

hindy111

Post Whore
The thing is no one would of stopped us laste year bar mablourne..But in 07 i reckon para may of beaten Manly-They gave melbourne a better run than manly did so i mean what do you do there.. I guess you give parra the 07 title as well :)

SAF

Juniors
Do you guys really want a Premiership by default?
YES !!! :D

Seriously they should give it to someone otherwise the last 5 years of the NRL should be termed as null & void due to the Storm having an influence in each and every game.

Should the Manly team of 2008 keep the Premiership ?? Think about it, they beat a team which should of been banned who in turn beat the Cronulla Sharks who were prevented from appearing in the grand final by the cheating Storm & so it goes on & on

One team should be given credit for being the best team of the year. Either Parramatta or StGeorge who won the minor premieraship.

A similar precedent has happened in Italian football, although they do not play playoffs but the team which won the title Juventus was stripped of the title due to match fixing and the team which came second Inter Milan claimed the title the next year.

I agree it is not a nice way to win a premiership & it will never feel the same, but I think someone deserves to be named the best team of 2009, 2007 etc

Only my opinion

hindy111

Post Whore
By the way i was taking the piss above... But you can understand what im saying?
You cant tell what will or would of happend you can only guess!

What is the point of them playing this year thou?

IFR33K

Coach
This is a very sad day for our team and our game. There are 2 sides of the argument that make valid points. At the end of the day, we didnt win, hence why we cant be made premiers. But we may never make the GF again, and have a chance to win it like we did last year. Thank f**k the storm didn't win it for the last 4 years, otherwise it would of ripped the heart out of the game.

Captain BF

Juniors
How would it be by default? The other team CHEATED, they didn't just slip over Bradbury style ffs.

I understand that they cheated Mickdo. I get it. I was there and i saw it, like you were. But i still reckon it would be a hollow win to be given it now. F*ck that! Not interested. Am i pissed about? You betcha i am! Am i pissed that Joey Johns may possibly have been off his head when he and Kennedy tore us a new one in 01? You Betcha!

We lost the Grand Final dude. 23 - 16. A mate theorised that it may have been Slater and Inglis involved... Take them and the points they scored out and we win 16 - 14. I'm going to enjoy greatly watching them turn out every week for nothing and watch with even more enjoyment when that team is finally dis-assembled as it shouldn't be together anyway.

p.s. Bradbury still claims that he was racing to his tactics and that is what got him home. He would have looked pretty silly if they hadn't have fallen over.

salvy71

Juniors
The joy of winning a title consists of a win in the grand final , lap of honour , celebrations all night long followed by several days of celebrations .
For that reason I would think the players themselves wouldn't consider it a title and nor should any fan that's reasonable .
I just hope that we don't end with 12 asterisks as premiers over the last 20 years cos I seriously doubt that Melbourne are the only team cooking the books .

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
I posted this after the grand final last year and as far as it goes it still stands... This is an issue with News Limited and there dabbling with Melbourne Storm. The Eels were ripped off by News Limited from both the Storm's Salary Cap rots and its influence over Referees.... The Eels must be given the premiership....

05-10-2009, 03:32 PM

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showpost.php?p=6168910&postcount=23

Re: The NRL have it in for us

How true this comment is....

A BREACH OF CONTRACT?
By Casper The Ghost
Monday 5th October 2009

To bring the best out of each team in a grand final, the referees must adhere to the rules from the first round until the final whistle of the grand final, around 7 months later. In doing so, the standard is set for all teams to adhere to the rules AT ALL TIMES.

This creates a true Level Playing Field for all concerned.

The referees, the coaches and the players are clear what the rules are and a "FAIRNESS" prospers in the NRL for all teams.

BUT, THIS IS NOT THE CASE with yesterdays Grand Final between The Melbourne Storm and the Parramatta Eels.

Parramatta's strength is in their open attacking play and fast play of the ball and they have played games this season where the other team was penalized for not keeping their distance and for not getting off them quick enough.

Last night's refereeing favoured Melbourne in that Parramatta didn't get the chance to play their strengths but had to start playing like Melbourne which they were not trained to do. The "it's a Grand final" excuse does not wash - why are the rules different in the Grand Final and, if they are, why are we (the consumers) not given full disclosure about it before purchasing these NRL GF tickets?

When the rules are changed for the Grand Final, the unique talents of every player that have been honed in readiness are unable to blossom on a changed playing field. Even if the blossoming doesn't occur (come to the fore) until the 65th minute, the rules from the first round of the NRL should be applied from the 1st second of the start of the NRL Grand Final until the final whistle is blown to end the game. This is what we call a "FAIR LEVEL PLAYING FIELD"!

It is true that the best team won on the night because Parramatta were not able to beat Melbourne under the "NEW" conditions as set by the referees. The strengths of the Eels players were not able to shine under these NEW unexpected conditions.

NRL is big business and businesses are bound by the corporations act. The NRL promised to deliver a footy game (A PRODUCT) with all the usual rules and then delivered one (A DIFFERENT PRODUCT) in which the rules were not as advertised.

It is very clear for ALL to see that the NRL have breached the "Trade Practices Act". They have broken their contracts with their consumers?

How would you or anyone else feel if you ordered a pink Holden Commodore with green seats but were supplied a red Toyota Camry with black seats, despite having paid in advance????? Wouldn't you want the product you ordered or your money back?

Casper suggests that the Parramatta Leagues Club, Football Club and supporters sue them for breach of contract!

Is this another ploy to get more NRL support in Melbourne?

I guess so, and The Eels were sold out.

So much for business. Is business more important than the spirit of fair play. And what about the spirit (OF MAN)???? just throw it in the garbage bin when the needs of commerce call?????

Condolences goes to all the Eels players, coaches, officials and fans. In a true level playing field, you could have beaten the Storm last night particularly in the second half. You all played against the tyranny of the NRL but you were ALL not to know that! "It Stinks"!!!!

[Disclaimer: This post does not represent the opinions of the owners or moderators of this forum including the Parramatta Leagues Club, Football Club. Players, Coaches, Officials, Staff and ALL supporters/fans of the Eels]

Casper The Ghost

Loudstrat

Coach
It is ours. Why knock it back?

I remember seeing the Winfield cup in the Leagues club - geez it made me feel proud - not because of a victory on one particular day - but because we were the best of the year.

We were the best on 09. Noone could defeat us. Now, that magnificent run is forgotten. The Hayne Train, Fui's blood curdling charges, and a host of young'uns playing out of their skin.

We won it fair and square.

And face it, the Telstra Cup won't be on show in the Melbourne club after today. Where should it go? The tip?

It should got to Parramatta Leagues. It might be hollow, but it's ours. 81 was somewhat hollow with Ray Price hobbling aimlessly on the victory lap. 84 was somewhat hollow with Price and Crow retired.

I want that glory run immortalised in history.

There will be no asterisk - we didn't win a rebel comp.

I want the history books to show:

YEAR PREMIERS
2006 Brisbane
2007 Many
2008 Manly
2009 Parramatta

Captain BF

Juniors
It is ours. Why knock it back?

I remember seeing the Winfield cup in the Leagues club - geez it made me feel proud - not because of a victory on one particular day - but because we were the best of the year.

We were the best on (the second half of)09. Noone could defeat us. Now, that magnificent run is forgotten. The Hayne Train, Fui's blood curdling charges, and a host of young'uns playing out of their skin.

We won it fair and square.
Pretty sure we lost the GF. While i would agree that we played fairly and probably not on the same playing field (money wise).

And face it, the Telstra Cup won't be on show in the Melbourne club after today. Where should it go? The tip?

It should got to Parramatta Leagues. It might be hollow, but it's ours. 81 was somewhat hollow with Ray Price hobbling aimlessly on the victory lap. 84 was somewhat hollow with Price and Crow retired.

Do you mean 1986? When Pricey and the Crow went out as legends like those two were and still are!

I want that glory run immortalised in history.

There will be no asterisk - we didn't win a rebel comp.

I want the history books to show:

YEAR PREMIERS
2006 Brisbane
2007 Many
2008 Manly
2009 Parramatta

Sorry mate, i have to disagree with alot of what you have said here... We didn't win. We were probably ripped off, but we didn't win.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Bugger off Swifty you troll...what about the Broncos, who is to stop them claiming it as the side who would have made it? Or the side who finished 9th? They could have finished 8th if not for the Storm cheating, they might have been the one to go from 8th to the Grand Final.

It would be ludicrous to give us the premiership and anyone who says otherwise is just being stupid.

Exactly. Thank you Bazal.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
A breach of contract?

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=346493

05-10-2009, 10:40 PM

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showpost.php?p=6169999&postcount=17

Re: A breach of contract? If the same rules are applied in the GF as they were over a whole season it doesn't matter if the Eels let in 2 one on one soft tries and one uncontested ball soft try and are well behind the 8 ball chasing points for the first 65 minutes of the game.

They could have played crap as far as I am concerned but what does matter, is the Eels performing on a level playing field of fairness that would have given them the possible (but more than likely) opportunity of mounting a sustained attack which could have led to tries in the last 15 minutes, yet alone at any given point of time during the game.

At any time the pendulum can swing either way and we have all seen this natural occurrence in most NRL games going back at least ten years.

Getting penalties for deliberate slowing down of the ball could have assisted The Eels in scoring 3 tries in the last ten minutes which is not unheard of these days and most definitely not beyond the reach of the Eels possibilities.

It is very clear for ALL to see that The Eels were robbed of the opportunity of using their brilliant attacking skills "when they really needed it & were very desperate to perform said skills", but Wrestlemania put an end to this.

If the Eels could be beaten in 1998 by the Dogs in the final 11 minutes of the GF preliminary when leading 18 to 4 then the brilliant attacking Eels of 2009 could have beaten The Melbourne Storm in the final eleven minutes as well.

Unfortunately and at great cost to the Eels they did not have a level playing field to provide them with the environment to put on a final 11 minute blow away the Storm spectacular.

As I said........... The NRL has a lot to answer for their "Lack Of Duty Of Care" to ALL their consumers/customers. They should be sued "BIG-TIME" by everyone who loves and supports Rugby League.

Without fairness we have Tyranny/Dictatorship determining outcomes and that is exactly the policies of a dictatorship I witnessed being supported and carried out by NRL employees, representatives and contractors at last nights NRL grand final.

-------------------------------------------

05-10-2009, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by distortedchaos
No they don't. Consistency is one of those things that every sporting code yearns for but none achieves, and no game ever will achieve. You just deal with it and live with it.

Bullsh*t, you are saying that the NRL has two referees who can't count in seconds before a penalty is issued for taking too long to get off the ball player.

Bullsh*t, you are saying that the NRL has two referees and two linesmen who can't measure out 10 meters for the defence, particularly with a playing field marked out in ten meter stripes across it which can easily be used as reference points for the ten meters.

By applying LOGIC you get PRACTICALITY and from that you get much much closer to CONSISTENCY (CERTAINTY) than the NRL is presently dishing up to its paying customers/consumers, that being UNCERTAINTY and INCONSISTENCY.

And then we have another referee looking over the game like God, with access to every TV camera to adjudicate quickly any major 50/50 decision if he so chose to quickly step in. Geees, they could have two video refs operating in all major games, one for checking play-backs while the other checking real-time. Both could whisper in the ear of the refs on the field if something is terribly wrong effecting the outcome of a game. The refs already allow 2/3/4/5 play the balls to ensue and then go back to an earlier error/indiscretion of the Rules that went against the attacking team.

If the NRL can't take "full responsibility" for the duty of care they have entrusted to them by their paying customers then get rid of the NRL and bring in a group who will take "full responsibility".

As mentioned with a previous post...."What We Love Comes With Full Responsibility At-All-Times Otherwise It Ain't Love."

Does the NRL love Rugby League or is this "supposed" love misplaced elsewhere, more love on business, law and commerce than on the love for the greatest game of all????

05-10-2009, 11:55 PM

Re: A breach of contract? Quote:
Ok - name a professional sport that has total consistency throughout a season that lasts at least 6 months, has different human umpires/referees for each game and has at least half as many variables in decisions As we do in league.

If you can do that, then I may start listening to you. Until then, you haven't sold me on your idea.

This discussion/debate is about the love for rugby league we (members of this forum) have. We are not talking about other professional sports because they have NOTHING to do with Rugby League unless you are into having an affair with a mistress, bringing in a 3rd party (a stranger) not involved in this marriage (contract) between supporters of rugby league and the administrators who are supposed to represent the best interests of the supporters (paying customers) of rugby league.

Consistency comes from an attitude to give/create/provide the very best without compromises/short cuts/excuses/justifications, etc, etc.

You can argue for all the limitations you have and sure enough they are yours! If the fruits of the tree are rotten season after season then its best to chop down that fruit tree and replace it with a tree that will grow into producing fruits that are not rotten, season after season.

If your standards are to accept second best all-the-time and you are armed with a series of excuses and justifications that will maintain your second best standards then you are no different to the fruit tree which produces rotten fruit every season.

There is a prevalent "ATTITUDE" problem awash in the NRL and this has impacted the organisation that operates and governs NRL referees!!!!

Its all about taking "FULL-RESPONSIBILITY" but the NRL employees, contractors, representatives and its referees are provided with "legal havens" that washes their hands clean of all their self-created dirt and to which allows them to "PASS-THE-BUCK".

With back-doors available to be used at any given moment we have an organization using it like a revolving-door..... which means they have no commitment to the dream that is the love of rugby league, which also means they do not give a stuff about the millions of supporters who love the greatest game of all.

No marriage/contract can survive while back-doors exist!!!!!

The NRL has a lot to answer for..............

06-10-2009, 09:16 PM

Re: A breach of contract? At first impression it appears that the better team won but could the Eels have won the game if there was a level (fair) playing field which did not restrict the Eels attacking game????

I was at the game and in contrast to the Eels previous weeks performances I felt for the first 60 minutes in the GF the Eels generally played poorly, were nervous and were a bit disorganized. Melbourne were the better team and were definitely on top. But if the Eels attacking game was not restricted could they have effected the course of the game and could they have mounted a sustainable comeback in the last 20 minutes or so to win the GF????

How are any of us to know when the opportunity for the Eels to attack was consistently being hindered by the referees who turned a blind eye to blowing the whistle for Melb Storm offenses which in most other games during the 2009 NRL would have produced penalties and eventually a sin-bin for serial offenders.

Its clear that the referees determined the outcome of the game by supporting the strengths of one team while hindering the strengths of the other!!!

From the beginning of the game would it not have been better to consistently issue penalties to either team who broke the rules? Don't you think that eventually the players would get the message to stop the infringements or eventually end up in the sin-bin or being hooked by the coach for jeopardizing the chances of their team winning the GF. At least the winner would have won on a level (fair) playing field. Is this not what all supporters want to see happen in every game of the greatest game of all????

By the referees turning a blind eye to the rules in the GF they severely damaged the team most effected by such blatant ignorance of fair play!!!!

06-10-2009, 11:56 PM

Re: A breach of contract?

Originally Posted by EELICIT
Just my 2 cents, but a bunch of legends of the game shook their heads at the 76th minute penalty as archer wasn't playing the quick play the ball all game so it was a complete contradiction to the style of game that was being played. And secondly and also more importantly archer ruled hand in the play at first by doing that gay fist movement and then re'negd and changed his decision to holding the man down. There is another point as archers touchie shouted and signaled knock on but archer ruled hands on the ball. Which directly links itself to his first ruling which was incorrect. Conspiracy theory ???? I think not. Special dispensation to keep the storm alive, and special dispensation due to news limited stocks going through the roof on GF weekend. you make the connection. yes we did lose by missing one on ones etc but there comes a point in time where a second half performance like ours and possibly a drawn game must come into consideration. When that happens we will all be monkeys uncles !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your comment EELICIT says it all!!!!!! :clap::clap::clap:

Like I said the NRL has a lot to answer for............

09-10-2009, 12:01 AM

Re: A breach of contract? Quote:

Ok - name a professional sport that has total consistency throughout a season that lasts at least 6 months, has different human umpires/referees for each game and has at least half as many variables in decisions As we do in league.

If you can do that, then I may start listening to you. Until then, you haven't sold me on your idea.

You are getting away from the fact that there was a "HUGE" disparity with the application and enforcement of the "RULES" between the 2009 GF and almost all the previous games of the NRL 2009 season, particularly all the semi/preliminary finals.

Why Is That?????

I agree that it is very difficult for the NRL to have total (perfect) consistency. I can accept a small bandwidth of error due to human nature etc BUT the bandwidth applied during the 2009 GF was not due to human error..... IT WAS INTENTIONAL!!!!! The bandwidth was "HUGE"!!!!!

As I said over and over again the NRL has a lot to answer for.........

Last edited:

natheel

Coach
lets get over it and concentrate on this weeks game ffs melbourne cheated they r the ones who have to deal with the consquences not parramatta and not any of the teams melbourne knocked out in 09, 08, 07, etc

hindy111

Post Whore
yeah i went home and i cried that night..... If we won i would of been rotten drunk and kissed some strange women

jono

Juniors
What I feel most pleased about is the fact that we got within 7 points of the cheating bastards with our fait and legitamite team.

TheFrog

Coach
If you award the Eels the Grand Final due to the opposition cheating, you would also need to award Penrith their Round 2 game against the Bulldogs, who lost their points for having 14 players on the field when the winning try was scored. This would then mean Parramatta would not have made the Top 8.

At least you Eels folk could then claim an achievement unlikely to ever be repeated.....winning the premiership without having qualified for the finals.

Last edited:

Latest posts