What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Prepare for some news

Blair

Coach
Just a bit of quick trivia...

What other team/s hasn't made the NRLfinals for last three years in a row? (

JJ

Immortal
Yep, while the table is close, reults similar, and we are at wrong end. To pretend all is positive, and we are a top 6 team is rather strange

vvvrulz

Coach
Yep, while the table is close, reults similar, and we are at wrong end. To pretend all is positive, and we are a top 6 team is rather strange

Don't think anyone reckons it was a positive year, nor that we deserve to be in the top 6.
What I'm getting at is that with this squad we *should* be in the top 6

But hey we're kinda going around in circles :lol:
Agree to disagree methinks

JJ

Immortal
Don't think anyone reckons it was a positive year, nor that we deserve to be in the top 6.
What I'm getting at is that with this squad we *should* be in the top 6

But hey we're kinda going around in circles :lol:
Agree to disagree methinks

Yeah, getting circular - but aside from Canberra who are monumentally shite, and Cronulla who were f**ked by other things, most others could mount the same argument...

But I am not really seeing what's so impressive about our squad tbh

WithTheDawn

Juniors
We have some top, flashy players in the backs, players who can pull out game winning brilliance at times. But really just don't have the gritty consistency across the park, and seem to be lacking in the forwards these days - as many have said, we miss a Luck / Price type player.

Still, its a good enough team to be challenging for the finals every year. We challenged for it this year, so I guess we are in the right place. The potential is there for a top 4 / top 6 team though, if everything could finally click one day.

Scott

Bench
This O'Neill rumour was put out there by the RLW Mole.

He certainly has a bit more class with the ball than Danger (not hard I know), but his defence has been terrible in the past. I see him as a winger, not a centre. Very very quick.

vvvrulz

Coach
Seems like a bit of a weird buy especially if we're also chasing Matai
We'll have some pretty full centre/wing stocks and decent players will be chopped

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
My first reaction was that O'Neill would be second prize in the "we didn't get Matai" sweepstakes.

My second reaction was "where are our forwards, damn it?"

reykaine

Juniors
I guess its the age old issue with the Warrior. How do we get classy players with some experience in NRL to move across the ditch without breaking the bank or being treated as a retirement club. Do we take what we can get? eg O'neill.
The alternative is to take a punt on promising players and hope for the best, eg Maloney, Webb. Trying to think of some others... Lewis Brown, Robbie Mears, and Ian Henderson?

the rebel

Juniors
I guess its the age old issue with the Warrior. How do we get classy players with some experience in NRL to move across the ditch without breaking the bank or being treated as a retirement club. Do we take what we can get? eg O'neill.
The alternative is to take a punt on promising players and hope for the best, eg Maloney, Webb. Trying to think of some others... Lewis Brown, Robbie Mears, and Ian Henderson?

At the moment there are very few marque players on the market. Probably the best strategy would be to look at younger players looking for an opportunity.

I think O'Neil would be an interesting signing. The guy was touted a potential superstar a few years ago. He has genuine class and talent. Only issue would be his defence and the fact he can be injury prone. I hope the Warriors to go after Joel Romelo. Very underrated player.

Also, we need some forwards.

Cold Roses

Juniors
The mole was also saying we signed the Storm under 20s fullback, Tiaan something? Never heard of him. Again, not a forward.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Tiaan Wilkins. Highly rated, got homesick.

190cm and 92kg, he turns 18 in january.

He's a fullback/centre/winger.

Storm talent scout said he had the potential to be the next GI. Sounds like an exaggeration, but the kid has some definite size without lacking speed so who knows.

sup42

Juniors
Oniell is poor defensively when played out of position ( center ) he is an excellent defensive player in his natural position ( Wing ).

The Warriors concede the Majority of their points on the edge.

If you were coach....where would you look to add a defensive player to your roster first?

Prop ? where there is no weakness in conceding try's though the middle ?

No.

The other habit we have as fans is assuming that recruitment in one position somehow limits our ability to recruit in another position.

We made offers to Sam Moa and Sam Kassiono this season.

Both players said no.

Those two are from the top shelf of NRL props. So where do people get this idea that other players the Warriors sign have anything to do with the recruitment plan for props?

I mean....I get why Warriors fans unlike the other 15 clubs have some self limiting magic equation in their heads whereby because of our poor signing history....we believe that each signing means it is less likely we will see others in different positions.

That's the past.

McFadden is something else. He went after a second row forward with the exact C.V. clone type that the Warriors Captain has.

He sacked his friends ( well one wanted to go home for family reasons ) but in the case of Ricky Henry he let him go before a replacement was lined up.....

McFadden allowed a situation where it has been rumored strongly that the club wants rid of Martel and Nielson ( McFaddens silence on the media discussion is unheralded for a Warriors coach.....Ivan / Bluey/ Elliot would have at least offered some cliche nonsense on the matter ).

So....the thing that distinguishes McFadden for me is that I have no idea what he will do next.....equally given his love of sacking people....our players no longer have any control in the dressing room.

I think people over estimate the readiness of our development players in outside back positions.

I base that on the weakness in the Warriors defence as being on the edges irrespective of whether we are talking a decade long veteran in Vatuvei or a half dozen game player in Fusitua.

That's where DEFENSIVE competition for spots is screaming for Journeymen imports to set a defensive standard for New Zealand Rugby league home grown backs to meet the basic defensive standards of the NRL.

Last edited: