What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price - 5 game test

RONG

Juniors
The BIG problem is Peter the D he will never admit chinless can't coach, not after his ridiculous resigning last year. If he was to be replaced it would only be another job for the boys. Doust does not have to answer to anyone he is untouchable and that is the main problem.

Nealo 12

First Grade
Come on.... someone say it, "when Saints are doing well the NRL is doing well" Bwaahaaahaaahaaa

St.Mono

Juniors
I don't know where all these ideas of 5 or 6 weeks and then off come from. Our club does not publicise any of their in-house decisions. It's all bullshit and rumours.

I can tell you from inside the club, that they are not sitting idle waiting for Price to succeed/fail, they have talked to other candidates.

BrissyRedV

Bench
I can tell you from inside the club, that they are not sitting idle waiting for Price to succeed/fail, they have talked to other candidates.

Any names?

Are they external candidates with any cred?

Or has Doust just gone to Mary or C.Young and said if we suck we will lay all the blame on Price and you will have the head coach gig?

Price was always destined to fail as he had absolutely no support from within the club with regards to recruitment and quality support staff. And unless the next coach recieves the correct support they will fail also.

TonyTrugett

Juniors
It is too early for suggestions that St George Illawarra coach Steve Price has only six weeks to save his job, but if his players don't show greater commitment in the opening premiership matches, the pressure will mount quickly.
With so much expected of the team after recruiting Gareth Widdop, Sam Williams, Dylan Farrell, Joel Thompson and others to add to the signing of Josh Dugan midway through last season, St George Illawarra were a massive disappointment in their 38-20 Charity Shield defeat to South Sydney.
A hat-trick of late tries may have enabled the Dragons to avoid the record losing margin for a Charity Shield match of 26 points, but it couldn't disguise the problems they had against a Rabbitohs outfit who were simply too big, too strong and too good.
Advertisement
Playing without the new first-choice halves combination of Adam Reynolds and Luke Keary, Souths signalled they would again be serious premiership contenders by racing in seven tries to one to lead by 38-4 at one stage.
In contrast, the view of most of those at WIN Stadium was that the Dragons are in for another long season and the defeat predictably sparked speculation over Price's future, particularly as Kangaroos coach Tim Sheens is understood to be keen on a return to the NRL.
While it will understandably take time for St George Illawarra's new combinations to gel, the Rabbitohs appeared hungrier and more committed than their opponents.
Price and skipper Ben Creagh admitted as much at a post-match news conference where they struggled to hide their disappointment at attacking Souths' line without success for the opening seven minutes and conceding two tries in the first two sets of tackles they had to make.
''I don't think we were committed enough to start the game and that won't be good enough during the season,'' Creagh said. ''We have got a bit of work to do over the next two weeks to get that right and there has to be better commitment from all players across our side in regards to that. We have got some work to do before round one.''
Price added: ''We sort of fell into a bit of a false sense of security there where we had a few sets and we panicked a little bit, we took a number of hit-ups more than we should of but it is a trial and that is what trials are for - to get it right - and we have two weeks to get it right for the Tigers in round one.
''There were some positive signs there but, in saying that, you get a lot of confidence through your defence and we have got a lot of work to do in that regard.''
The positives were the performance of right-edge back-rower Leeson Ah Mau and replacements Adam Quinlan, Peter Mata'utia and Michael Witt, who is in contention to start with Widdop in the halves after providing better direction for the team when he replaced Williams.
But with Price's contract only extended for this year, he will need an improved effort quickly.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/

BrissyRedV

Bench
I see it this way, If the Dragons don't win games and make the top eight. Then the NRL will suffer more than us fans, with poor crowd attendance, low merchandize sales, bad TV ratings.
It is up to the NRL to make sure the Dragons perform well in 2014 or demand that Price is sacked!

Price is a fake!!!

No, I am pretty sure we will suffer the most.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Could you honestly see Kevin Walters coaching our club?

Why not, he's spent the last couple of years as Bellamys assistant improving the skills of Widdop at 5/8. If Widdop is our main playmaker and possibly future captain, then why not renew this Walters/Widdop partnership using all the expertise of a successful Storm structure. Also Walters has been appointed as an Assistant to Meninga for QLD Origin with the view to succeed Big Mal. He must have some ability and credibility to warrant this position. Can you seriously see our current 1/2 price coach ever achieving this level. It just could be a coach & captain combination that has plans and structures to build the team around.

BrissyRedV

Bench
Why not, he's spent the last couple of years as Bellamys assistant improving the skills of Widdop at 5/8. If Widdop is our main playmaker and possibly future captain, then why not renew this Walters/Widdop partnership using all the expertise of a successful Storm structure. Also Walters has been appointed as an Assistant to Meninga for QLD Origin with the view to succeed Big Mal. He must have some ability and credibility to warrant this position. Can you seriously see our current 1/2 price coach ever achieving this level. It just could be a coach & captain combination that has plans and structures to build the team around.

I am not suggesting anything about is coaching skills and in fact think he would be a good choice. I am more suggesting his previous playing history and I see him more likely going to the Broncos. Could you imagine say Hornby coaching for the Broncos?

And as for the Mal comment, Price could have succeeded with the current QLD squad and do you remember Mals coaching record with the Raiders? You don't need that much cred.

Last edited:

Coffs dragon

Bench
I am not suggesting anything about is coaching skills and in fact think he would be a good choice. I am more suggesting his previous playing history and I see him more likely going to the Broncos. Could you imagine say Hornby coaching for the Broncos?

And as for the Mal comment, Price could have succeeded with the current QLD squad and do you remember Mals coaching record with the Raiders? You don't need that much cred.

If Doust keeps extending Prices contract then maybe Hornby would possibly consider an opportunity to coaching elsewhere if the money was right. As for Meningas coaching record at Raiders, yes it was ordinary but at least it was not inept like Pricey. Meninga as a coach is 50% legend and 50% bull sh.t

pinkmoon

Juniors

Walters applied at the Wests Tigers and Cowboys and was knocked back by both clubs. I don't think rookie coaches sit back and wait for a job to present itself at the club they formally played for, they simply take any opportunity that comes their way.

BrissyRedV

Bench
Price won't be extended, we all know that. It would take a premiership to stop his replacement at the end of the year. Hopefully Doust goes with him and the coach we recruit gets the full support required of the job and gets to select his own assistants etc.

As for Hornby I honestly don't think it would be such a bad thing for Hornby to leave the club and get some experience under some different coaches. He could be a great coach as I believe Bennett stated. But then again, he might not be such a good judge himself.

FlameThrower

Bench
So much for the offseason and team building.

"The Dragons meanwhile played like a team that had met one another for the first time on Saturday morning in a game that actually matters to their fans.

A packed WIN Stadium collectively winced as Josh Dugan had to be helped off by two trainers when his leg came off second best in a collision with George Burgess’s head as the Rabbitohs hulk crashed over for a try."

BennyV

Referee
Price won't be extended, we all know that. It would take a premiership to stop his replacement at the end of the year. Hopefully Doust goes with him and the coach we recruit gets the full support required of the job and gets to select his own assistants etc.

As for Hornby I honestly don't think it would be such a bad thing for Hornby to leave the club and get some experience under some different coaches. He could be a great coach as I believe Bennett stated. But then again, he might not be such a good judge himself.

Hornby and Young will be great coaches, both in their own right and as a team. I'll bet that Dragons NYC do very well this year. But none of them should be dragons coach until all the starting 13 from their last year have moved on - ie Creagh, Hunt, Moz, Flo. Any experience outside of the club is a bonus.

BrissyRedV

Bench
Hornby and Young will be great coaches, both in their own right and as a team. I'll bet that Dragons NYC do very well this year. But none of them should be dragons coach until all the starting 13 from their last year have moved on - ie Creagh, Hunt, Moz, Flo. Any experience outside of the club is a bonus.

I agree. They should not be expected to players who were once their peers.

If you look at pretty much all coaches floating around the NRL and the successful coaches, pretty much all have served some form of apprenticeship at different clubs and under different coaches and even different competitions. It all would all add to the experience and give different ideas and techniques to both Hornby and Young. I really think they should not be fast tracked and be expected to gain employment under some different coaches.

Latest posts