What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pricey backs Smith return

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/nrl/story/0,27074,25320811-5016547,00.html

Pricey backs Smith return

By David Riccio and James Hooper | April 12, 2009 12:00am

RAY Price, a member of the rebel 3P ticket pushing for control of Parramatta Leagues Club, has flagged the prospect of bringing back former Eels bad boy Tim Smith as a solution to the club's halfback dilemma.

The scenario emerged as Parramatta coach Daniel Anderson denied he is poised to embark on a major player cleanout just four months into the job at Parramatta.

Homesick and eager to return to Australia, Smith is in the second season of a two-year deal with English Super League club Wigan.

Seeking to gain control of Parramatta Leagues Club in the wake of a record $7.8million loss, Price is one of seven club heroes gearing up for the elections from April 24-26.

"Because we haven't got control of the leagues club it's out of my hands at the moment,'' Price said.

"But when we get control of the leagues club I want to know exactly what's going on.

"We're supporting the coach, and we've got to do that at this stage.''

Asked if he would consider luring Smith back to the club, Price said: "We would have to talk with the coach but, yeah, we'd certainly look at it.

"I've got no arguments with Smith, he's got ability we could use. But he would definitely be on a very stringent, behavioural-based contract.

"I can tell you he would be able to have a beer, this current protocol is ridiculous. As soon as this election comes the better.''

However, Price may find opposition, with fellow 3P member and former team-mate Brett Kenny hosing down the prospect.

"He's had his chance,'' Kenny said of Smith.

"I would rather give a young kid in the lower grades that's done the right thing by the club a go and give him an opportunity.''

Anderson's public support for his players may not be enough to spare makeshift halfback Jeff Robson the axe for next Sunday's clash with arch rivals the Bulldogs.

After a week of upheaval and uncertainty surrounding the release of halfback Brett Finch, the Eels emerged like they were playing for contracts in their match against St George Illawarra.

Finding the right halves combination remains Anderson's most immediate issue, with the experiment of Robson and Feleti Mateo failing to provide the necessary direction and creativity.

The Eels may field their third halves pairing in six games next Sunday after Robson was replaced with 21 minutes remaining against the Dragons.

Despite the obvious disappointment with having started the year 1-4, Anderson said he harbours no plans for an overhaul of the Eels' playing roster.

"I'm not moving on anyone - it's all garbage,'' Anderson said.

"I knew what I was walking into when I came here. I obviously started a little bit later than most other people, but staff and players were in place.

"I'm the new boy. I'm trying to find a balance now where staff and players are used to my personality and my style and play a brand of rugby league which is both successful and hopefully rewarding for them.''

The Sunday Telegraph can reveal six Eels - Joel Reddy, Tim Mannah, Broderick Wright, Matt Keating, Junior Paulo and Josh Cordoba _-are unsigned for next season.

Reddy and Keating are close to agreeing to terms, but retaining rookie props Mannah and Wright remains a work in progress.

Next year is when the Eels could see some real generational change. Nathan Hindmarsh, Nathan Cayless, Feleti Mateo, Luke Burt, Eric Grothe, Fuifui Moimoi and Weller Hauraki are off contract, allowing Anderson a window to bring new players in.

Anderson was cautious when talking about the likely team to face the Bulldogs, describing Robson's performance against the Dragons as "solid''.

But the effort of Kris Keating must have mounted a strong case for his inclusion in the starting side.

"I'll wait till I have a look at the video and see how our balance was across the field,'' Anderson said.

"You don't have a bottomless well of players to choose from in the first-grade squad.

"I've got no issues with the effort and attitude and commitment and team ethic that they showed.''

strider

Post Whore
Its alright for 2 different ppl to have a different opinion - even if they are ont he same board.

I'd back Kenny's opinion on this one.

strider

Post Whore
for the love of god, just let the coach decide...
yeah - i'd have to agree with that .... I get a bit sick of pricey talking this sort of sh*t to the media - I mean he can have an opinion, but just watch how you put it to the media ffs - does he want to take over from denis in more ways than one?

scottyeel

Bench
for the love of god, just let the coach decide...
I think that's what he said.
Ray Price said:
"We're supporting the coach, and we've got to do that at this stage.''

Asked if he would consider luring Smith back to the club, Price said: "We would have to talk with the coach but, yeah, we'd certainly look at it.

lewiscook

Juniors
BRINGGGG BACKK TIM SMITHHH!!!!

i've got one question for you guys...
was tim smith in the lower ranks after they brought him down fom runaway bay, whilst daniel anderson was first at parramatta?

eel4life

Juniors
What bothers me is that his ticket partner Brett Kenny doesn't appear to.

so do people on this forum, and it depends on how they ask the question, we do not have a creative half back at the moment, if KK can do this job then ok, but i will say this at the moment we will lose the next 2 ... we do not have any points in us ..

do these reporters do any homework? we are 2-4 not 1-4 it's not hard to check the league ladder to see that. They make me laugh these reporters.

Latest posts