What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Priddis and Puletuea given permission to look elsewhere

EzyG

Juniors
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22034581-5006066,00.html

MATTHEW Elliott has reached the lowest point of his coaching career, indicating the clean-out at the foot of the mountains is far from over.

The Panthers are destined to receive their second wooden spoon in six years after Friday night's 43-26 loss to the Wests Tigers - the club's 11th loss in 13 games.

Elliott spoke candidly about the on-field woes and back-room upheaval that is likely to see six 2003 premiership players leave next season.

Asked if some players were underachieving, Elliott said: "If the guys that were here played with everything they possibly could for the last two years, I wouldn't be here.

"If the level of commitment was at a really high level, then probably the previous coach (John Lang) would be still here because they would've been making the semis.''

Elliott failed to confirm rumours that fullback Rhys Wesser and former Test forward Trent Waterhouse would be next out the door, following Craig Gower (Bayonne) and Joel Clinton (Brisbane).

Hooker Luke Priddis and second-rower Tony Puletua have been told they can negotiate with other clubs, and young gun Peter Wallace has signed with the Broncos.

"There's no doubt that this is the lowest I've felt,'' Elliott said.

"It's not easy, there's no-one here enjoying it as far as the position that we're in. We're going through a period of change. When you're enduring change, it's not easy.

"I certainly didn't anticipate this. My expectation is by this stage of the season we'd be flying, be a team that was in the top half of the top eight.

"But I guess if you're going to do this job for a long time, you're going to have to endure this period.''
Elliott denied the impending exodus had affected team morale, before saying he had the total support of the board to make changes.

Test prop Petero Civoniceva and Newcastle centre Brad Tighe have been signed for 2008 as part of the culture change at Penrith.

"We're all sharing the responsibility at the moment,'' Elliott said.

"What we're doing is we're growing our first grade ranks by bringing a lot of highly talented juniors through ... and there's more on the way.

"Call it what you like, but the fade of the club ... isn't exactly a short-term issue. It's something that's gone on for a few years and we need to make sure we have personnel available to us that's going to help us (make the semi-finals).''

The prospect of Puletua, Priddis or Gower finishing their careers at Penrith in premier league is a distinct possibility.

Elliott said he wouldn't forfeit the club's chances of winning any game but would maintain a distinct focus on preparing for the future.

"We're definitely already doing that,'' he confirmed. "You need to look at our team selection, but we've also got to give ourselves the best opportunity of winning.''

Anchored to the bottom of the ladder with just four wins, Elliott admitted he feared the effect that claiming the wooden spoon would have on the club.

"I'd like to say that I'm not worried about it. We do this job and we're in this industry to win, not to come last,'' the coach said.

"I would like to think my motivation for the rest of the year isn't about avoiding the wooden spoon, it's about playing our best footy and climbing back up the ladder.''

Share this article
What is this?Digg this Post to del.icio.us Post to Newsvine

EzyG

Juniors
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,22031680-5012431,00.html

Penrith has betrayed me: Priddis
Stuart Honeysett
July 07, 2007

LESS than four years after guiding Penrith to a fairytale premiership win in 2003, veteran hooker Luke Priddis says he feels betrayed after being told yesterday he is no longer part of the club's future.
Priddis and Panthers backrower Tony Puletua were officially told by Penrith football manager Mick Leary yesterday that after consultation with coach Matthew Elliott, they were free to negotiate with other clubs.

When asked if he felt betrayed Priddis said: "Yeah. I'm not happy and I presume T's (Puletua) not."

"I can't speak for anyone else. But at the moment I'll just have to stick it out here. I've got a wife and four kids that I've got to feed and if it means I've got to stay here and play premier league or whatever that's what I do.

"At the end of the day I play football because I love playing it."

The news continues the turmoil for the bottom-placed club with halfback Craig Gower heading to France to play rugby union at the end of the season, and Joel Clinton and Peter Wallace signing with Brisbane for 2008.

It is a staggering move by club management given Gower, Puletua and Priddis were all named as part of the club's leadership group at the start of the season.

The Weekend Australian reported last week that Puletua could be the next Panther to leave the club and the Gold Coast has already expressed an interest in the New Zealand backrower.

However, Priddis said he was reluctant to leave the Penrith district given he recently enrolled his five-year-old autistic son Cooper into a class for children with special needs in the area.

"We've also started a foundation out here to help other autistic kids out in the west," Priddis said.

"We've never had any intentions of moving and we still don't. "It's disappointing why it's come to this and reasons why is one of the answers I'd like to know."

Priddis, who won the Clive Churchill medal in the 2003 grand final, said he sought out a meeting with Leary at the start of the week after hearing speculation linking him to English Super League club Bradford.

He said he was stunned after the response came back yesterday he could shop himself around, especially considering last year he signed a two-year contract with an option for 2009.

"I wanted to find out what was going on and why these things were being said and I suppose today I got my answer," Priddis said.

"If they'd told me six or eight weeks ago when clubs were buying and selling maybe there would have been an option for me to find another club in the Sydney area."

The development yesterday caps an unhappy month for Priddis after he was dumped from the first grade team three weeks ago. At the time he was told he was being rested to recover from groin and abdominal injuries.

"Obviously I've been rested for a couple of weeks, my body wasn't 100 per cent, but plenty of first grade footballers play with injuries," Priddis said.

"When I was rested Matty (Elliott) told me that my movement around the park looked laboursome and obviously the injury I was carrying was affecting my game. I disagree with what he said but he turned around and said I needed to rest to get my body 100 per cent, so that's what I've been doing the last couple of weeks."

Elliott took over from John Lang at the start of 2007 and Priddis said several playmakers had been told in the pre-season to reel in their natural games under the new coach's style.

"Most of the boys have gone away from their natural game and are playing the way that he wanted and that's what I thought I was doing."

Puletua is contracted to the club until the end of 2009 and his manager Allan Gainey has already warred with Elliott this season after another one of his Penrith clients, Wallace, was dumped to premier league.

The Titans have expressed interest in Puletua but it is believed they would need the Panthers to pick up a large portion of his $300,000 a season contract.

Puletua last night vowed to play out the final two years of his contract.

"I just said I'm willing to stay here and fight it off," Puletua said after the bottom-placed Panthers lost their fifth straight game, 43-26, to the Wests Tigers at Telstra Stadium.

"I can't see myself looking at any other NRL clubs.

"I've pretty much just said I didn't want to go anywhere. I started here, so I want to finish off here."

Munky

Coach
Note to Big T: your on 300k a year.

You owe us far more than you are currently giving.

panthersballboy

Juniors
It's a hard situation as a fan. These are the guys that are our favourite players due to their heroics a few years ago. But the have all drastically underachieved the last 3 seasons. When you watch the team playing it is these guys that are letting us down and the young blokes trying their best.

I would hate to see T play for another team and would like to see him spend some time with Petero next year. I think he could get the best out of T and get him playing consistently the way we know he can play.

Priddo's situation is a hard one. He is 30+ and we have a lot of young hookers waiting in the wings.

It's unlikely either will get a good deal for next year so I think they will both be Panthers in 2008. The have been put on notice to perform, if their performances are still substandard then they'll both be playing elsewhere in 2009.

Dave Q

Coach
panthersballboy said:
It's a hard situation as a fan. These are the guys that are our favourite players due to their heroics a few years ago. But the have all drastically underachieved the last 3 seasons. When you watch the team playing it is these guys that are letting us down and the young blokes trying their best.

I would hate to see T play for another team and would like to see him spend some time with Petero next year. I think he could get the best out of T and get him playing consistently the way we know he can play.

Priddo's situation is a hard one. He is 30+ and we have a lot of young hookers waiting in the wings.

It's unlikely either will get a good deal for next year so I think they will both be Panthers in 2008. The have been put on notice to perform, if their performances are still substandard then they'll both be playing elsewhere in 2009.

Chop the head off the snake.

Latest posts