What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Priddis and Puletuea given permission to look elsewhere

Caged Panther

First Grade
From a forum post by Rob Weaver

Just checked with the Footy Office - Priddo is not being released.

He has been told he can talk to other clubs. Tony Puletua has been told the same.
This doesn't mean they won't be with us next year. It all depends on what else is on offer.

http://www.panthers.com.au/Forum/Topic59741-18-2.aspx

It seems quite obvious to me now that a few players were given an opportunity with the arrival of Matt Elliott to find some form. Now that they haven't they're being given the chance to leave.

I know some will be upset by this move but as much as the two players have given the club in the past they're also part of a team that has conistently underachieved in the past few seasons and is only getting worse at the moment. It may be a hard decision for some fans to stomach but I feel it's the only way for the club to move foward.

EzyG

Juniors
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,22028530-23214,00.html

League

on error resume next if (plugin Priddis to leave Penrith

By Andy Withers
FOXSPORTS.com.au
July 06, 2007
PENRITH co-captain Luke Priddis has been told to look for a new club next season, FOX SPORTS has reported.
Priddis, 30, is contracted with the Panthers for 2008, but he is reported to have been told that he does not feature in the club's long-term plans.
The hooker has recently been on the outer at the club, missing selection in both first and reserve grade.
Priddis, who won the Clive Churchill medal as man of the match in the 2003 grand final, in which the Panthers defeated Sydney Roosters 18-6, is the second of Penrith's three co-captains appointed at the start of the season to be leaving the club.
Craig Gower announced recently that he would leave Penrith at the end of the season to play rugby union in France.
Tony Puletua was the other co-captain named.
Grand final-winning prop Joel Clinton and rising star Peter Wallace will also leave the club at the end of the season, with both players to join Brisbane for the 2008 campaign
Priddis joined Penrith in 2002 from the Broncos, since when he has played 135 matches for the Panthers.
He has also played for New South Wales and Australia, making five State of Origin appearances for the Blues and playing two Tests for the Kangaroos.

Can any1 back this?

The Tank

Bench
From Rob Weaver on the OS forums:

Just checked with the Footy Office - Priddo is not being released.

He has been told he can talk to other clubs. Tony Puletua has been told the same.

This doesn't mean they won't be with us next year. It all depends on what else is on offer.

EzyG

Juniors

I know some will be upset by this move but as much as the two players have given the club in the past they're also part of a team that has conistently underachieved in the past few seasons and is only getting worse at the moment. It may be a hard decision for some fans to stomach but I feel it's the only way for the club to move foward.

[/quote]

yeah, I'm with you on that

Panthagrey

Juniors
With all the player movements and this story floating around all i know is penrith better make the 8 next year or there will be more asking for reasons to why the club is doing this......im not saying i dont understand why but from a business point of view it seems a little strange...?:crazy:

richie8u

Juniors
Unless we sign new and better players whats the point, if you dont perform drop them, and if "Managment" come out and say it was because of salary cap.....
This will end up like last year, we have heaps of money, we arent going to pay overs for players and end up missing them all, the only good is Petro, and we had to release the Capt to do it,

Q Dave

Not exactly a gentle tap of the shoulder either.

As predicted, the old firm is now well into the process of being broken up and sold as scrap.

3 and a half years of centrifugal movement is coming to a close.

The excuse of a looming spoon can now be used to full effect.

Pockets of brilliance followed up with very flat performances with no prevailing rationale.

A small moment on Luke Priddis.

Clive Churchill Medalist.
One of the few genuine 80 minute footballers in the game
A variety of skills and abilities
Father of four
Involved in autism foundation

Tony P

Stood in for Gowie magnificently.
On his day can be the best player in the entire game.
A heart bigger than CUA stadium.
Youth worker, carer about ordinary people.

I would not have thought that these two had met the end of their era's but thats Rugby league.

My guess is that Shane Richardson has rung at least one of them.

parra_jesus

Juniors
i love both these players , but puletua is one of the softest second rowers in the nrl atm and priddis isnt half the player he used to be.

*Sandy*

First Grade
I am still of the belief if that Priddis was left alone to play his full 80 mins we wouldnt see this currant form drop of his...

Kilkenny

Coach
As Fibroman can corroborate we were told this news at the Broncos game last week. Much to my personal disappointment we were also told Rhys Wesser would be given the same opportunity. I guess we will find out shortly what is happening with Rhys.

Using my PI alter ego I posted the news in limited terms on PI and was bagged as having posted unsubstantiated rumours and was inundated with abusive personal messages.

Kilkenny is not in the habit of posting BS.

Kingytek

Juniors
Can someone tell me what the hell is going on out Penrith way?
Please tell me they have been doing some major recruiting otherwise it might end up with the St Mary's team plus Petro in the Pathers 17

Fibroman

First Grade
The broom has been extracted from the cupboard. I am disappointed about Gower leaving, however, no great loss with the rest. Petro makes up for Clinton, and we have plenty of talented backrowers and hookers to fill the void of Priddis and Puletua.

always a raider

Juniors

Elliott took over from John Lang at the start of 2007, and Priddis said several playmakers had been told in the pre-season to reel in their natural games under the new coach's style.

"At the start of the year, the more creative players were told that we need to put our tricks away in our bags in order to try and get the structure Matty wanted us to play," Priddis said.

"Most of the boys have gone away from their natural game and are playing the way that he wanted, and that's what I thought I was doing.

"Whether that was to the detriment of my own personal game or whatever, you put the team first - and that's what I was doing."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,22030525-23214,00.html

Dave Q

Coach
Its dissapointing for Priddo.

He bought in the area and settled down. He was confident that his proven ability would see him out for a few years yet.

And as far as I know, it was the Panthers that were seeking his good graces last year not the other way around.

Now it seems he's deemed "excess to requirements."

Penrith are closed for business.

Its stocktake time and you'd think the Camel, House and Sugar are expecting the icy tap on the shoulder any time soon.

The fuse it lit and burning brightly.

The 2008 Panthers will be almost unrecognisable from this years squad.

Given that this squad has failed to meet expectations, some would be welcoming the sea change.

So long as they dont throw the baby out.

Latest posts