What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Prince on the bench and webb, lillyman, marsh dropped!

icewind

Juniors
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/nrl/story/0,26746,23790242-5003409,00.html

"SCOTT Prince will be the shock beneficiary of Darren Lockyer's stunning State of Origin comeback, as the Maroons plan to salvage the series by blasting the Blues off the park with attacking brilliance. Controversially overlooked for Origin I by selectors who feared he would not gel with halfback Johnathan Thurston, Prince is set to be named as Queensland's utility back for the second game of the series at Suncorp Stadium on June 11.

Lockyer sealed his return to the Maroons helm with his match-winning display for the Broncos on Friday night, guaranteeing he will reunite with Johnathan Thurston for their 10th Origin together in the halves.
But with doubts the champion Test captain will be able to last 80 minutes in the Origin furnace, Prince will be brought into the squad to give the Maroons a much-needed extra play-making option while Lockyer is rested on the bench.

With star centre Justin Hodges almost certain to miss the match due to suspension, Queensland selectors will reshuffle the backline to include Karmichael Hunt at fullback, and Centenary Test No.1 Billy Slater on the wing.

In other selection news, The Sunday Mail has learned:
North Queensland enforcer Carl Webb seems likely to be axed, with his place in the squad taken by Melbourne's Antonio Kaufusi;
Maroons selector Gene Miles was in Melbourne last night to watch Kaufusi first-hand, and insiders said only a blinder in last night's match against Penrith would save Webb from the chop;
Bronco PJ Marsh and Cowboys forward Jacob Lillyman will be the other selection casualties from Origin I."

Likely team:

1. Karmichael Hunt
2. Billy Slater
3. Greg Inglis
4. Brent Tate
5. Israel Folau
6. Darren Lockyer
7. Jonathan Thurston
8. Steve Price
9. Cameron Smith
10. Petero Civeniceva
11. Michael Crocker
12. Sam Thaiday
13. Dallas Johnson

14. Nate Myles
15. Antonio Kaufusi
16. Ben Hannant
17. Scott Prince

icewind

Juniors
yeh, only gripe is nsw could have a field day down our left hand side defence. Though the loss of Gasnier has gotta help.

Dazzat

First Grade
Great team. Big forward, fast backs and smart halves ... just need them to play well on the night.

Charlie124

First Grade
Dont mind the look of that team, a lot of positional mistakes were made in Origin 1 so it looks like Mal might have it right now.

Drop Hannant though, he was ****.

Charlie124

First Grade
Better option than Webb at least..he was rubbish! At least Hannant makes metres!

Nutley.

as for Hannant being some kind of metre eater.

Webb - 7 runs for 56 metres
Hannant - 8 runs for 67 metres

wow!! i stand corrected!:sarcasm: he made 1 more hitup for 11 metres, definatly a better option to go with the rookie.

both players only played 30mins.

Dazzat

First Grade
The different between Webb and Hannant is that Webb's been in Origin more times, and isn't showing any improvement. In fact, he's going backwards.

It was Hannant's first game. He'll only get better.

Wonder how tackles went. I think I read somewhere that Webb made about three.

Charlie124

First Grade
For starters, i didnt say "drop Hannant and keep Webb" i said "drop Hannant".

It was Hannant's first game. He'll only get better.

Wonder how tackles went. I think I read somewhere that Webb made about three.

What do you have to back that up? you just said that Webb has been going backwards, what tells you Hannant will only get better based on one poor performance?

As for the tackles, Webb 13, Hannant 17

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
far too much Tate in that side.

he shouldn't be within 1000kms of that side

RABK

Referee
Oh dear God, Not Lillyman! Not LILLYMAN!!!

Seriously, what a ****ing Nuffy.

badav

Bench
That looks like a far better side than game 1. Enough with the quota of North Queensland nuffies. Lillyman and Webb should not have been picked in the first place.

Wouldn't even mind seeing a prince and lockyer halves combination. Getting kind of sick of seeing Thurston the so called best player in the game looking like he has no idea what to do when he has the ball and just crabbing across field and throwing a meaningless pass. Its pretty much been the story of his game this year so far.

Latest posts