What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Projected semi final results if we used the AFL system

Loudstrat

Coach
Yes, this is theoretical. There are flaws in the system. Yes, you may want to whinge. Yes, you can probably do one better.,

This is a hypothetical. I'm trying to see what would happen if we used the AFL finals series instead of the Mac, as lots of people would rather copy theirs than trust ours.

So, I've warmed up the spreadsheet. I've taken the average per game for and against for each club. I've taken their first semi final results under the mac - and calculated their difference. I've compared the differences between teams as they would line up in the AFL system, and gotten a projected score.

See how it pans out over the finals.

Also use it as a discussion point about the pros and cons of each system

Here goes.

WEEK 1. Home teams first

Melbourne 19, Sydney 14

Manly 24, Cronulla 12

Brisbane 24, New Zealand 26

Canberra 12, St George 0

Manly and Melbourne to prelim final.

Brisbane and St George eliminated.

Next week:
Sydney v New Zealand at SFS

Cronulla v Canberra at Shark Park

Azkatro

First Grade
Melbourne lost to 8th place at home, for f**k's sake. What makes you think they would have beaten 4th? :lol:

mxlegend99

Referee
Melbourne lost to 8th place at home, for f**k's sake. What makes you think they would have beaten 4th? :lol:
Storm don't struggle against any team like they do the Warriors.

Of all the teams in the top 8, i think only the Warriors, Sea Eagles and Broncos could have beaten the Storm.

Ghoulies

Bench

Of all the teams in the top 8, i think only the Warriors, Sea Eagles and Broncos could have beaten the Storm.
The Roosters have beaten the Storm in 2 of their past 3 encounters IIRC. I'd say that's as good of a record as anyone.

we beat them in round 3 :cool: infact we beat them last year as well ... 2 out of 3 recently ain't bad is it ?

Azkatro

First Grade
Bloody hell, on one hand it's "the NRL is too predictable", yet here we are trying to decipher a finals system that molly-coddles the top two teams through to the grand final as much as possible?

More weight as far as I'm concerned for my argument that the finals should be scrapped and an end-of-season cup held in its place. Finals are unpredictable, the season proper should not dictate what happens!

RL1908

Bench
It's not the AFL system, it's the original ARL system

Spot on - used for the ARL comp in 1995 (when Bulldogs won from 6th place) and in 1996.

In 1997 the ARL used a 7 team play-offs, and the first NRL comp (1998) was a 10 teams play-offs - where the Bulldogs came from a 8th v 9th semi-final to reach the Grand Final. In 1999 the current Top 8 McIntyre sytsem was implemented.

The AFL didn't invent anything. In 2000 the AFL adopted the ARL system of 1995-96.

Latest posts