What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Publishing Player Salaries

POPEYE

Coach
I see no advantage, it’s just public voyerism to judge if you think someone is worth what they are getting paid.

Players should have to sign a salary declaration to the nrl though, then if salary cap cheating is found out players can be held accountable as well as the club.
Enough said . . . no more pisstake value here

Travitoh

First Grade
Anyone in favour of it, would you post your income in this forum with credible evidence for all to see?

Spot On

Coach
Are individual players being asked to logon and declare their earnings through the LU website? What a silly thing to ask.

My income is published for all to see like millions of others in Australia.

Its not unusual.

Sorry but would you publish your personal details in a rugby league forum? No one is suggesting that players sign up to LU specifically, use their real name and publish their tax return and show their monthly bank statements so we can see how they spend their money.

I can see no good reason why the way each teams cap is divided up each season is so sensitive and why tpas are treated like top secret spy documents.

Can you?

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
On the TPA's yes I can. The NRL works hard to paint a picture that all clubs are equal and anyone can win the comp. This creates hope in fans and buy in to clubs. If fans, of say Newcastle, knew that Roosters had an effective salary cap that was $2mill more due to TPA's would they be happy? I doubt it. Better to keep people blissfully ignorant lol

some11

Referee
Are individual players being asked to logon and declare their earnings through the LU website? What a silly thing to ask.

My income is published for all to see like millions of others in Australia.

Its not unusual.

Sorry but would you publish your personal details in a rugby league forum? No one is suggesting that players sign up to LU specifically, use their real name and publish their tax return and show their monthly bank statements so we can see how they spend their money.

I can see no good reason why the way each teams cap is divided up each season is so sensitive and why tpas are treated like top secret spy documents.

Can you?
But tell us how you really feel.

Noname36

First Grade
On the TPA's yes I can. The NRL works hard to paint a picture that all clubs are equal and anyone can win the comp. This creates hope in fans and buy in to clubs. If fans, of say Newcastle, knew that Roosters had an effective salary cap that was $2mill more due to TPA's would they be happy? I doubt it. Better to keep people blissfully ignorant lol

That's the thing though, we're not blissfully ignorant at all. Newcastle fans all know there are clubs that have squads worth millions and millions more than ours. Trust me, it's not fans of clubs like Newcastle that wouldn't want them posted. It's the likes of Brisbane, Roosters and Dogs...and of course the NRL who could no longer live behind their bullshit lies that all is equal lmao.

Burwood

Bench
I see no advantage, it’s just public voyerism to judge if you think someone is worth what they are getting paid.

Players should have to sign a salary declaration to the nrl though, then if salary cap cheating is found out players can be held accountable as well as the club.

Wouldn’t having player contracts on public record negate the need for them to sign any type of declaration?

Melbourne players could claim innocence because all they had to say was that:
a) the contract they signed was for X amount, but the club then lodged a contract of lesser value to the NRL; or
b) they have no idea what every player in the squad earns, so how would they know if their contract value put the club over the salary cap?

It’s pretty hard for players to claim ignorance when salaries are public and they can very easily see if what they earn is the amount registered with the NRL.

Vee

First Grade
Anyone in favour of it, would you post your income in this forum with credible evidence for all to see?
I'm in favour of ot and No, I wouldn't post mine here but I'm not part of a billion dollar game that can have its integrity undermined by dodgy deals.

As I'm a government employee, my entitlements are easy enough to verify for anyone with the interest to do so.

fourplay

Juniors
I would be a big fan of it. I think it would increase fan engagement. It would be really interesting to have an objective ranking of the top players in the game and how clubs perceive the players value. It would also allow fans to more objectively compare players and how they are contributing to their team.

kbw

Bench
Most contracts are not just simply $x a year. There are bonuses and targets. There are also percentages that count. The same with TPAs the actual amount can depend on numerous factors.

The average gronk would not be able to determine the "real" value anyway

nick87

Coach
I'm in favour of ot and No, I wouldn't post mine here but I'm not part of a billion dollar game that can have its integrity undermined by dodgy deals.

As I'm a government employee, my entitlements are easy enough to verify for anyone with the interest to do so.

Spot on
There is no reason not to publish salaries. These guys earn a the wage they do due to the fans, they play out of/train out of publicly funded infrastructure, and as history shows, the current system does not stop cap cheating

More over as a fan who has pumped endless thousands into my club I feel I am entitled to know how the front office I support is actually faring at the negotiating table, at the absolute very least they should be publishing TPA’s by club... the fans are absolutely entitled to know just how stacked the deck is or isn’t against their club.

Salaries are the next step. That level of transparency ensures not just the public, but the reporters know who earns what and if something doesn’t pass the sniff test, investigate and out the cheats

When you have that level of transparency it’s very hard to cheat the cap. The risk of being caught is exponentially higher and risk/reward matrix flips

It’s accountability for players too... easy for cam smith to say he had no idea what others were on so he didn’t know they were cheating... if it’s made public any player found with a dodgy contract will have no excuse and can and should be punished to the fullest extent, including life bans

As I’ve said 10000 times, if LeBron James, Tom Brady and Leo Messi can handle people knowing their income from clubs, then our two bit idiots can too

And fwiw - I’m a SOGC.1 in ACT Gov
You’re all welcome to google the Enterprise Agreement and find out to the dollar what I earn. Absolutely could not give a single f**k

Johns Magic

Referee
As I’ve said 10000 times, if LeBron James, Tom Brady and Leo Messi can handle people knowing their income from clubs, then our two bit idiots can too

And fwiw - I’m a SOGC.1 in ACT Gov
You’re all welcome to google the Enterprise Agreement and find out to the dollar what I earn. Absolutely could not give a single f**k

If you're so happy for everyone to know what you make why don't you just state it outright?

moffla

Bench
You're posting figures, but I dare say no one on here actually knows who either of you are. That's the difference.

I wouldn't imagine a 19 year old rookie would be happy if all his mates knew how much he was on...professional athlete or no, that shit's private if you want it to be