What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Puffing Willie sparks controversy

Abz

Juniors
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23141095-5006002,00.html

0,,5868132,00.jpg

Puffing Willie sparks controversy

Article from:
February 01, 2008 12:00am

SPORT stars being paid $1.4 million are expected to be in peak physical condition - and you'd think puffing on a cigarette would see their careers go up in smoke.
Except if you're Willie Mason.
Batten down the hatches in Bondi because, according to the Sydney Roosters, "it's a free world" where Mason is concerned.
Just two weeks out from the start of trial matches, the red carpet treatment is continuing for the Roosters' star recruit - as evidenced by the club's reaction to this photograph taken on Australia Day.
Staying true to his perennial party prince form, Mason spent the national holiday sunning it up on the Harbour aboard a $10 million luxury cruiser stocked with an ample supply of booze, bikini-clad babes . . . and ciggies.
Despite the ridiculous amount of money the Roosters have coughed up to secure Mason's talents, the club clearly don't mind if the NRL man mountain is the one coughing on the field when their first trial game kicks off on February 15.
"It's a free world," was the club's official comment yesterday when Confidential inquired about its stance on Mason's smoking habit.
Incredibly, the star forward himself put in a better defence for his hazy behaviour than the club - making a personal call to try and explain his actions.
"I never usually smoke - definitely not during the season - but it was Australia Day and I was just having a good time out with my mates," Mason said.
"I don't really think it's a big deal."
More concerning for Mason, who is in a long-term relationship with girlfriend Claire Hallinan, was the fact that he had been snapped with other females on board the yacht.
It's not the first time the Roosters have applied a long-leash approach to the former Bulldog, who holidayed in North Queensland while his new teammates were being flogged at pre-season training last November.

Muffdaddy

Juniors
As long as he's not smoking crack or ice, I couldn't give a flying f**k what he does.
And even then...

ozzie

Bench
whoopy doo - tell Lockeyer he can't smoke and the Telegraph has got it wrong again. They were told by the club he had asked for the extra week. A lot of other Australian reps were given the week off as they had been in training longer than a club player. no big deal. If you think that news worthy you certainly have a chip on you shoulder about the Roosters

Abz

Juniors
ozzie said:
whoopy doo - tell Lockeyer he can't smoke and the Telegraph has got it wrong again. They were told by the club he had asked for the extra week. A lot of other Australian reps were given the week off as they had been in training longer than a club player. no big deal. If you think that news worthy you certainly have a chip on you shoulder about the Roosters
...as does every other Bulldogs fan. BTW why are you on my case about it? It was in the telecrap, I just posted it up FFS!!!

bulldog

Bench
Didn't do Cliffy Lyons or Jason Smiths careers any harm. FMD the bloke can't even enjoy a quiet ciggy without hitting the headlines.

Redback71

First Grade
doesnt smoking a cig defeat the purpose of all that hard work of trying to get there bodies in prime condition thru diet and exercise?

DeeGan

Bench
Well they have done their annual Sonny-Bill Williams is "bigger, badder and fitter than ever!".

They have done their Benji Marshall feel good story as he comes back from injury.

They have done Souths to death.

They have done Willie Mason too admittedly and I guess he is at the front of the que on the rotation.

adamkungl

Immortal
Did someone put Bec Wilson in charge for the day? Are all other telegraph writers just her ghost writers? Btw, they had a similar story about Finch last year. Managed to come up with an even shadier looking photo as well lol

Latest posts