What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Put up or shut up, ASADA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vin Fizz

Bench
Good post Ronnie. All that might be true but at its core it assumes we cant afford to pay damages in the event that we are unsuccessful in defending our positon. Id expect a drawn out legal battle and if we had to pay it could be many years away. I reckon we could cover that to be honest. BTW dont be too presumptious about our Mr Smith.

Last edited:

Feej

First Grade
Here's how I visualize our predicament in my old, warped mind (Think Indiana Jones, it'll help):

We're at the edge of a massive ravine. A rope bridge stands in front of us to take us to safety (a solid future) on the other side of the ravine. Behind us are hundreds of angry natives (ex players, legal, NRL) trying to kill us, as we have wronged them.

We take a few tentative steps on the bridge and it seems to be holding. Hearing the angry mob behind us, we start running the length of the fragile structure to make it to safety. We smell smoke, and notice that the natives have set fire to the bridge.

Can we make it to the other side before the bridge drops from under us, sending us to certain doom?

Apologies to those that can really write... :)

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Good post Ronnie. All that might be true but at its core it assumes we cant afford to pay damages in the event that we are unsuccessful in defending our positon. Id expect a drawn out legal battle and if we had to pay it could be many years away. I reckon we could cover that to be honest. BTW dont be too presumptious about our Mr Smith.

I like Smith. A lot. He's razor sharp.

You could be right on the legal front. Those f**kers never lose a customer. the longer it drags on, the richer the bottom feeders on the bar get.

Vin Fizz

Bench
I like Smith. A lot. He's razor sharp.

You could be right on the legal front. Those f**kers never lose a customer. the longer it drags on, the richer the bottom feeders on the bar get.

I think he works to his capacity and has an element of expertise that has been foreign (excuse geographical reference / pun) to the NRL / ARLC in the past. He knows his business i have no doubt. His approach as i understand it has created friction. But that's beside the point. Many of the clubs are being run by amateurs and whilst we were considered by the commish to fit that description that i understand is far from the case now. I genuinely believe the ARLC want the ASADA biso over with for the good of the entire game, and I’m convinced they aren’t interested in moving us or taking us on. Quite the contrary, I think they are happy to let us keep on keeping on. This ASADA stuff is masking many of the deeper financial and governance issues that are facing many other clubs. That will be the ARLC focus shortly imho.

Card Shark

Immortal
This ASADA stuff is masking many of the deeper financial and governance issues that are facing many other clubs.

Interesting point of view Vin.

2 things in light of the last statement above :

1. The fine is too harsh considering lack of governance in most clubs (& even the NRL), which leads me to the 2nd point;

2. The NRL must accept a % of the blame for this. Dank was in the game for 4 or 5 years before he got to us. I know they don't seem to think anything untoward went on there but there were documents floating around 11 months ago stating the NRL knew of Dank & his operations, yet failed to adequately warn us or others.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Funny how only ex players not playing anymore are suing.

That comment from him was so well scripted by shine lawyers I nearly cried.

Not at all. Why would a current player try and sue thereby virtually admitting to taking these substances? They would risk sanction by litigating. Past players who are not involved in sport are not staring down the barrel.

They may well line up to get on the bandwagon when they have left.

chewsta

First Grade
If he must sue someone it should be his parents for calling him Broderick.
Brrrrodgerick... shit name.

Vin Fizz

Bench
Bloody good point Cardy. They smelled a rat and didn't act. Frenz alluded to a point earlier in the thread, that we copped the maximum fine for the offence. That is true but I understand the NRL didn't attach fines to other possible breaches. What's more the conditions to achieve the reductions that are available to us are "come to work stuff" and I would be gobsmacked if we didn't get at least the reduced fine. So maybe, drawing on Ronnies points, this is how the NRL/ARLC are saving face but also admitting to be implicit albeit covertly. Dunno boss.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Bloody good point Cardy. They smelled a rat and didn't act. Frenz alluded to a point earlier in the thread, that we copped the maximum fine for the offence. That is true but I understand the NRL didn't attach fines to other possible breaches. What's more the conditions to achieve the reductions that are available to us are "come to work stuff" and I would be gobsmacked if we didn't get at least the reduced fine. So maybe, drawing on Ronnies points, this is how the NRL/ARLC are saving face but also admitting to be implicit albeit covertly. Dunno boss.

Now we have a genuine red herring.

NRL players are contracted to the NRL. It's a standard format contract which links a player to a club but ultimately sees them as NRL employees. If I was Iggy, Brod or Josh I'd be getting Shine to have a run at the NRL too.

The Popper

Bench
Yep. One year tomorrow since the then Fed. Govt. announced the issue to get the stuff ups off the front page. They certainly did that. Trouble is, it gives each one of us another ulcer. Still, we're Sharks fans. We get kicked in the guts again, and again, and again.................and we still get up so they can throw more krap at us. I trust our court case results are positive. I've heard a whisper that we could stand a pretty good chance. Hope that whisper's right. And no, it wasn't from Gillard, Lundy or Clare....or Wilson, Hooper and whoever the other character is (I forget the name).

Ausguy

Coach
Not at all. Why would a current player try and sue thereby virtually admitting to taking these substances? They would risk sanction by litigating. Past players who are not involved in sport are not staring down the barrel.

They may well line up to get on the bandwagon when they have left.

Ahhhh yeah that's my point. :sarcasm:

fizman

Bench
From a Club perspective, it has been proven that the Board of Directors were unaware of any illegal practices - on that basis, does that clear the club of any wrong doing?

If there are "rogue" employees working outside the systems and structures of an employer - who is then to blame?

Is this the argument that the Club can put forward to have the penalty reduced?

It has been established that Flanagan stopped the injections, but continued the program through creams and tablets for a further 4 weeks.

There are so many levels of responsibility that in my view it will have to be a case of all or nothing.

Eion

First Grade
From a Club perspective, it has been proven that the Board of Directors were unaware of any illegal practices - on that basis, does that clear the club of any wrong doing?

If there are "rogue" employees working outside the systems and structures of an employer - who is then to blame?

Is this the argument that the Club can put forward to have the penalty reduced?

It has been established that Flanagan stopped the injections, but continued the program through creams and tablets for a further 4 weeks.

There are so many levels of responsibility that in my view it will have to be a case of all or nothing.
The problem fiz is that we all know the clubs systems and structures were shite which make it easier for rogues to operate.

That said, the nrl knew this and didn't care and knew about dank and didn't care until a year ago so I agree they are not without blame.

But really, the gazillion dollar lawsuits being thrown about by some is just crap. They will need to prove long lasting ill effects, physical or emotional and I don't see it. All gainfully employed, careers not disrupted. Low level cash grab, with the hope the sharks will panic and cough up big to get rid of the press.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
The problem fiz is that we all know the clubs systems and structures were shite which make it easier for rogues to operate.

That said, the nrl knew this and didn't care and knew about dank and didn't care until a year ago so I agree they are not without blame.

But really, the gazillion dollar lawsuits being thrown about by some is just crap. They will need to prove long lasting ill effects, physical or emotional and I don't see it. All gainfully employed, careers not disrupted. Low level cash grab, with the hope the sharks will panic and cough up big to get rid of the press.

Hope Brodrick Wright makes a better real estate agent than footballer. Wasn't a footballers arse-hole. Would have to imagine that the other two are on a better wicket financially with their mining jobs also. Would be more concerned if these guys lost their earning capacity as a result of sanctions etc. but basically the reason they are real estate agents and miners is they didn't cut the grade as profession footballers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts