What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Put up or shut up, ASADA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
well that sthe key thing isnt it. WADA.

they make these rules. this is now banned. so things that happened in the past are now banned retroactively.

what a wank.

carcharias

Immortal
CRONULLA chairman Damien Keogh has warned against drawing any comparison between events at Essendon and the possibility of charges being laid against the Sharks and some officials.

Keogh said he was hopeful the likely lack of action against the Essendon players would be reflected at his club, which is also the subject of an Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority investigation.
The Bombers have vowed to fight the charges while a leading academic has questioned whether the AFL has any power to use evidence acquired by ASADA.
Keogh doesn't think the Essendon case is a guide for what might happen to the Sharks.
"I would say that where we're at in relation to the AFL and Essendon, it is too early to draw any conclusions or comparisons," Keogh said. "I think the dynamics and the way it has unfolded have been significantly different and contrasting. There seems to be a sense that Essendon and Cronulla are the same - one in the AFL and one in the NRL.
"I think it's significantly different and significantly different in a whole lot of ways. It's too early to draw any conclusions at this stage.
"If it's right that the players aren't in trouble at Essendon, I would think that's hopefully not too bad for us."
ASADA is continuing interviews with players from Cronulla and other clubs in the NRL, with the process expected to be finished by the end of this month.
While the AFL has been involved in a slanging match with Essendon coach James Hird, there has generally been an air of cordiality and co-operation between the NRL and the Sharks.
Martin Hardie, a lecturer in law at Deakin University, yesterday questioned whether the AFL would be able to use any of the evidence in the interim report against Hird or other officials at Essendon.
Of particular concern for Hardie is the level of co-operation between ASADA and both codes. Representatives of both the AFL's and NRL's integrity units have been in the rooms during interviews with players from both Essendon and Cronulla.
"There is no basis for there to be a joint investigation," Hardie said.
"All the legal problems about the report and the joint investigation undermine everything and could make it all null and void.
"I don't think they can use the interim report for the disrepute charges. The act says it can only be used for the purpose it is done - and the purpose was to provide a report on somebody other than the athletes or support people.
"I think the AFL have found themselves between a rock and a hard place. I think their lawyers have probably thought to themselves, 'I don't know about pushing ahead with this because it's going to be hard to stick'.
"Why any lawyer in their right mind would proceed with this case I don't know. If I am right about the joint investigation ... it could blow the Cronulla investigation out of the water as well.
"I don't think the NRL or AFL have the power to sit in the interview room. ASADA can only do what is in the statute. The statute says the sporting bodies aren't meant to get involved until the ADRVP (anti-doping rule violation panel) process is over."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...-cronulla-sharks/story-fnca0von-1226697372606

Tyko7

Juniors
Interesting discussion on yesterday's Offsiders

Offsiders Sunday 18 August
Australian Broadcasting Corporation
Broadcast: 18/08/2013
Reporter: Gerard Whateley

Gerard Whateley is joined by Caroline Wilson from The Age, Roy Masters from the Sydney Morning Herald, and John Stanley from 2UE Weekend Breakfast.

http://www.abc.net.au/sport/offsiders/content/2010/s3828166.htm

Watch from 3:10 to 18:30

Very interesting. Caroline Wilson really has it out for Essendon and James Hird.
I can't wait til this asada bull dung finally disappears. Take Flanno and Gal but please don't ruin our club.

Weaponhead

Coach
Very interesting conversation. As usual Roy Masters makes the most sense. Wilson has AFL goggles and can't see anything else and John Stanley is a Dragons supporting imbo.

cussy

Juniors
So what he is saying is that the original board did the right thing but then got ousted for a new board?

Card Shark

Immortal
So what he is saying is that the original board did the right thing but then got ousted for a new board?

There was a smear campaign run against the old board & a lot of people were frightened into not re-electing them. They obviously punted the 4 for a reason.

The Unity ticket should not have based their campaign on reinstating the 4 when they did not know the ins & outs of the situation, nor did the public.

The old board obviously made some errors as any board does but I truly believe they were turning the club around from a perilous financial position. 1 of the errors they made is not holding everyone's hand & doing their job (with integrity?) for them.

Cron-Null-Ified....

Sharks finish up

Interviews by Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority investigators with Cronulla players are believed to have wound up after skipper Paul Gallen was quizzed on Thursday. Gallen prepared for the interview with a boxing session with Tony Mundine. Teammate Ben Pomeroy was also interviewed on Thursday, with hooker John Morris in on Wednesday. ASADA is due to complete the interviews with 31 NRL players, including 11 current Sharks, by August 28.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/contract-sport-20130822-2sehy.html#ixzz2ckImMLkR

Hopefully a load of their minds.

Quigs

Immortal
I bet once Tony gets in Manly never get an interview.

There is no reason in the world to interview anyone at the Hartleys of Brookvale.

Why, what for. Dank was only there for how many seasons. 3 or 5 was it.

Narhhhhhhh, nothing to see there.

Card Shark

Immortal
There is no reason in the world to interview anyone at the Hartleys of Brookvale.

Why, what for. Dank was only there for how many seasons. 3 or 5 was it.

Narhhhhhhh, nothing to see there.

Mr Dank was a good boy back then :roll:

As Essendon's supplements saga drags on it is time for ASADA to come clean on its investigation

IT'S time for the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority to come clean.
The authority it must wield and the responsibility vested in it hinge on transparency, competence and accountability.
What is there to fear from the truth about AOD-9604?
Why has ASADA blacked out the status of the drug in its interim report into Essendon? What has it chosen to obscure?
Why are inquiries about AOD-9604 now being referred to the World Anti-Doping Agency?
Where is the public statement it promised clarifying how it would treat the use of AOD-9604 before WADA's intervention?
And why, when confronted with evidence that ASADA advised that AOD-9604 was not a prohibited substance, did it instead answer a question that had not been posed by stating it never gave permission for its use?
It's not the blockbuster story of all out-war between the AFL and Essendon, nor is it the investigation into multiple NRL clubs.
But long after punishments have been meted out it will become a vital aspect: How did ASADA handle the biggest ElephantJuice-in-sport investigations Australia has seen?
As one expert observer put it this week: "This is about the credibility of ASADA.
"Having a robust anti-doping capability is what is important now and we don't have one.

"This is about political and strategic judgments by ASADA. You can't make up anti-doping experience and you can't learn pro sports issues from Centrelink."
ASADA's operational advice on AOD-9604 is documented.
It worked at length with the Australian Crime Commission on the most damning study of sport this country has seen.
On multiple occasions in the published ACC report it was concluded: "AOD-9604 is not currently a WADA-prohibited substance."
For five months all parties remained silent on this until ACC chief executive John Lawler responded to the inquiries of this reporter.
"The ACC sought expert advice from ASADA at the time of developing the Organised Crime and ElephantJuice in Sport report and was advised (correctly) that AOD-9604 is not prohibited under category S2 of the WADA prohibited list."
Until that moment, even those in the highest levels of government believed the documented status of AOD-9604 had been a mistake.

Soon after the ACC report was released, Dr Andrew Garnham sought clarification in his capacity as a member of the AFL's Anti-Doping Tribunal.
His inquiry was not the only one from the AFL. Garnham says he was told: "AOD-9604 was considered under S2 of the anti-doping code and was regarded as not prohibited."
He was very specific in his questioning in regard to the S0 category: "The advice was it was considered under S2 and therefore effectively S0 did not come into play."
Subsequently, Garnham was given permission by the AFL to consult for Essendon.
His technical expertise shaped the drug findings in the Switkowski Report, the credibility of which has never been questioned.
Euphemistically, ASADA's advice has been referred to as incomplete.
WADA simply made it look inaccurate. It issued a statement on April 22 decreeing the drug was a banned substance in the S0 category pertaining to non-approved substances.
WADA owns the banned list. If it says AOD-9604 is banned, it is banned. But history can't be erased.
Even as interviews began at Essendon on May 6, ASADA's lead investigator stood before the assembled player group and said of AOD-9604: "I don't believe it should have ever been on the prohibited list."
ASADA's narrative concludes that 38 players signed consent forms agreeing to one AOD-9604 injection a week last season.

As an actuality it found seven players believe they were injected - including Jobe Watson, who made the admission on national television - and 12 others received a cream containing the drug. All are named in the interim report.
It has created an environment in which Australian athletes engaged in international competition scream of double standards in the absence of infraction notices and consequences for domestic footballers.
The AFL has previously acknowledged the uncertainty pertaining to AOD-9604 and thus virtually nothing in the Statement of Grounds against Essendon hinges on the disputed status.
Critically, a senior ASADA official identifies the delineation before April 22 and after April 22 in the cover letter to the interim report.
"In relation to the issue of AOD-9604, ASADA will make a public statement about its proposed approach in all sports to the enforcement of possible anti-doping violations involving this substance that occurred prior to WADA's media release of 22 April 2013."
To date no such statement has been made.
ASADA's ability to give accurate advice is a foundation purpose. Until it steps forward and formally acknowledges what transpired with AOD-9604, it operates under a cloud at a time when it carries greatest responsibility.

Read more: http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-...#ixzz2cpf3vSZj

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Here comes the crunch for ASADA.
Hey Hoops, Wilson & Massoud, are you feeling like flicking idiot hacks yet>? Feel like you have been used by labor/asada as puppetts? You have you pharkwitts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts