What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QLD Back Line 2005?

bender

Juniors
Johns Magic said:
bender said:
Paul Bowman is the best centre in the world at the moment and should be the first person chosen in any team. He has never let Queensland down before and never will.

Are you a Cowboys fan?

They arent my number 1 team.

The fact is that Bowman has never been outplayed by an opposing centre at origin level. I agree that there are flashier attacking options, but so what. A centre first and foremost needs to be defensive and Bowman is the best defensive centre going around. In attack, he is underated. He scores tries, sets up tries, and does everything everyone else who are from time time considered better does. Eg Tate, Lyons, Gasnier, Hooper, Hodges, Vagana, Girdler, Gidley or whatever player happens to be the media darling of the moment. Overall, he is more consistent than all of them, and is a better defender. I see him as quite a bit better than any other centre going around at the moment.

Mad Dogg

Juniors
bender said:
A centre first and foremost needs to be defensive and Bowman is the best defensive centre going around.
De Vere's the only one who can argue with that. But of course he's - a) not a Queenslander; b) been injured much of this season; and c) going to England next year.

nz_novacastrian

Juniors
Bowen/Hunt
Slater
Berrigan
Tate
Sing
Lockyer
Prince/Seymour

I suppose there is also a chance if they don't have a kicker that Berrigan goes to half and Hannay to centre? Hunt bracketed with Bowen because Bennett felt Hunt wasnt ready this year and i'm not sure if he will be next year?

Azkatro

First Grade
Tonga only got two games last year because Bowman and Tate were injured at different times. Bowman and Tate are the first choice centres and unless something really bad happens to one or both, they will play all three games for the Maroons in 2005.

Further to that Matt Sing has proven that his pairing with Bowman is absolutely impenetrable and I can't see the QLD selectors moving away from that. The only other contentious wing spot is the other side of the field with Tate. I guess you would go with Slater to add some speed and attacking venom to the side.

If Tate or Bowman are injured, I think the next choice would have to be Hannay for his defensive skills, followed by Tonga if he's still on form.

In fullback it's a toss-up between Wesser and Shifcofske. Keep Bowen coming off the bench I say.

You can't not have Bowman in the side. NSW ran down his side in game 2 last year and he made 37 tackles, missing none. No coincidence that NSW lost narrowly I believe.

oxenham

Juniors
Bell certainly would not look out of place in the Qld backline - one of the most underrated players in the NRL.

Anyway, candidates. (in order of who I think is better)
Fullback
Bowen
Slater
Hunt
Wesser
Schifcofske

Wing
Slater
Sing
Hegarty
Hunt

Centre
Tonga
Bell
Hannay
Bowman
Tate
Berrigan

Fiver-eighth
Lockyer
Lockyer
Lockyer

Halfback
Fien
Prince
Seymour
Witt
Marsh (depending on form and injuries)

So mine would go
1 Bowen - If still in form that he's in now also an excitment machine.
2 Sing - In red hot form.
3 Bell - Someone new, Tate and Berrigan are overrated.
4 Tonga - See Bowen, also has the experience before.
5 Slater - Shoe in, unless MASSIVE form slump.
6 Lockyer - Shoe in even if he has a form slump.
7 Fien - See Bowen and Tonga.

17 Berrigan - Even though I say he's overrated he can play just about anywhere.

Earl

Coach
1. Matt Bowen
2. Matt Sing
3. Brent Tate
4. Willie Tonga
5. Billy Slater
6. Darren Lockyer
7. Nathan Fien

If the game was played tomorrow, that would be the backline.

Premiers_04

Juniors
Not being a qld fan myself however their backline for next series is looking very dangerous with a potent mixture of both attack and defence.

If lockyer happens to get injured though as he did in game 1 this year depth at 5/8 again could be a problem for QLD. Who do you think will fill that position if that happnes to be the case my bet would be either flannery or thurston depending on how well he plays for north qld next season, thats why thurston knocked back the chance to play with the kiwis as he is a queenslander.

stubbsie

Juniors
I don't think Flannery is a good fill in for Five Eight he dosn't have a good passing game or vision. But some like Thurston is a quality Five8 but it all depnds on his form for North QLD. He does need more First Grade Experiences though

Tidus_Raider

Bench
I have revised my backline:

1.Bowen
2.Slater
3.Tate
4.Tonga
5.Sing
6.Lockyer
7.Prince/Seymour-Whoever is in the better form.

17.Hunt

Definately more attack minded than previous QLD teams.

RB30DETT

Juniors
Azkatro said:
Tonga only got two games last year because Bowman and Tate were injured at different times. Bowman and Tate are the first choice centres and unless something really bad happens to one or both, they will play all three games for the Maroons in 2005.

Further to that Matt Sing has proven that his pairing with Bowman is absolutely impenetrable and I can't see the QLD selectors moving away from that. The only other contentious wing spot is the other side of the field with Tate. I guess you would go with Slater to add some speed and attacking venom to the side.

If Tate or Bowman are injured, I think the next choice would have to be Hannay for his defensive skills, followed by Tonga if he's still on form.

In fullback it's a toss-up between Wesser and Shifcofske. Keep Bowen coming off the bench I say.

You can't not have Bowman in the side. NSW ran down his side in game 2 last year and he made 37 tackles, missing none. No coincidence that NSW lost narrowly I believe.

Tonga made the most of his 2 SOO games, and has also made the Australian squad, I really dont think he will be a 4th choice centre for Queensland next year.

lockyno1

Post Whore

That is the post of the year! Wake up they both suck! Wesser lost the series thus year, he did nothing! And Scifoske well what can u say, he has done nothing since 2002!

OMG Hunt or Bowen will get the fullback position. They will leave Slater on the wing! :clap:

borat

Bench
bender said:
Johns Magic said:
bender said:
Paul Bowman is the best centre in the world at the moment and should be the first person chosen in any team. He has never let Queensland down before and never will.

Are you a Cowboys fan?

They arent my number 1 team.

The fact is that Bowman has never been outplayed by an opposing centre at origin level. I agree that there are flashier attacking options, but so what. A centre first and foremost needs to be defensive and Bowman is the best defensive centre going around. In attack, he is underated. He scores tries, sets up tries, and does everything everyone else who are from time time considered better does. Eg Tate, Lyons, Gasnier, Hooper, Hodges, Vagana, Girdler, Gidley or whatever player happens to be the media darling of the moment. Overall, he is more consistent than all of them, and is a better defender. I see him as quite a bit better than any other centre going around at the moment.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Come back to the dragons forum bender and tell us more about our team from your infinite wisdom.

Paul Bowman is 50 in the shade, the slowest man in league without a doubt and was never any more than Ordinary. Actually, he probably fits in well with Qld. Please bring Bowman back next year so Matt Cooper can once again carve him a new ar*e.

Tonga
Berrigan
Tate
Hannay
Bell
Hall
Bowman

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
wouldnt mind a:

1. Matt Bowen (Cowboys)
2. Matt Sing(Cowboys)
3. Willie Tonga(Bulldogs)
4. Ty Williams (Cowboys)
5. Billy Slater(Storm)
6. Darren Lockyer(Broncos)
7. Nathan Fein(Warriors)

17. Josh Hannay(Cowboys)

Looks like the cowb's will be very involved in the match

lockyno1

Post Whore
1. Matt Bowen (Cowboys)
2. Matt Sing(Cowboys)
3. Willie Tonga(Bulldogs)
4. Ty Williams (Cowboys)
5. Billy Slater(Storm)
6. Darren Lockyer(Broncos)
7. Nathan Fein(Warriors)

17. Josh Hannay(Cowboys)

Looks like the cowb's will be very involved in the match

The Cowboys will be very involved but I hate to break it to you Ty Williams will not be picked ahead of Brent Tate or Shaun Berrigan in the centres! :roll:

borat

Bench
1. Bowen
2. Tate
3. Tonga
4. Berrigan
5. Slater
6. Lockyer
7. Prince

Why would Qld consider breaking up their Australian centre combination is beyond me.

Latest posts