What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QLD doesn't need another team

Storm13

Juniors
Moreton Bay or Brisbane seem to be the smarter options. SQ sounds too generic when there is already 2 other teams in SEQ and risk it becoming GWS
Moreton Bay is a terrible idea. The time of Brisbane 2 has come and gone. The Broncos, Gold Coast and Cowboys rivalry is at a low right now.

mongoose

Coach
Having lived in Perth for well over a decade yeah, I know a lot more about it than someone who refers to it as "Southern".

Both Union and League did compete quite successfully with the AFL, the Reds used to average crowds of 18000 during the time, so too the Force prior to the absolute shambles of the ARU at one point brought in crowds in the 20000+ range, even last year running friendlies against international sides they were bringing in crowd averages of 15,000.

The dumbest thing that gets said about Perth by people who've never lived there is that it's some AFL crazy state like Victoria. It isn't, the AFL only dominates because of all the major sports they're the only ones who haven't been undermined by interstate administrations that made it impossible to succeed. The Reds were forced to pay other teams to play against them, paying airfares and accomodation for visiting teams was an absolute joke, the same was true for the Force, made to play with a lower salary cap than other Australian teams to limit their access to top flight talent. The Glory pulled in 56000 this year for their grand final against Sydney and 18000+ crowds during their home finals. They do pull shit crowds averaging the 10,000 mark, this is endemic to the A-League in general though who have seen a massive drop in support and interest ever since access to Premier League and UEFA Champions League has been made available to Soccer fans wanting to watch the highest level of the sport.

On a grassroots level WA has had massive support for both League and Union historically and the only times either code has had a drop in interest at the club level has been when admin in the East f**ked them around. 36 Rugby clubs across WA with 22 based in Perth and 27 Rugby League clubs across WA with 12 based in Perth (and multiple applications for new clubs being processed) demonstrates the support for winter sports outside of the AFL.

okay then

but my point was this. Brisbane 2 is up against Reds, Lions and 3 existing QLD NRL teams. When Fremantle and Port came into the AFL they were really only up against West Coast Eagles and Crows respectively.

Stallion

First Grade
Moreton Bay is a terrible idea. The time of Brisbane 2 has come and gone. The Broncos, Gold Coast and Cowboys rivalry is at a low right now.

Brisbane 2 is an overdue but still wise move. 18 team comp is a short term must! Expand to twenty teams later on.

Storm13

Juniors
Brisbane 2 is an overdue but still wise move. 18 team comp is a short term must! Expand to twenty teams later on.
I use to think that. Now I don't really see that much of a demand for it. Perth is a must and if that includes Brisbane 2 than so be it. Any talk of Moreton Bay or Redcliffe is going to fail. Sunshine Coast might be a good bet, and might be a good rivalry with the Gold Coast.

Stallion

First Grade
I use to think that. Now I don't really see that much of a demand for it. Perth is a must and if that includes Brisbane 2 than so be it. Any talk of Moreton Bay or Redcliffe is going to fail. Sunshine Coast might be a good bet, and might be a good rivalry with the Gold Coast.

The demand and business opportunities are potentially massive. It's the Brisbane Broncos that are thwarting any chance of this "must do " happening.

siv

First Grade

Maybe a name that better reflects things

Gold Coast-Tweed

Sunshine Coast-Redcliffe

The Great Dane

First Grade
No second team is not going to come close to having what the Broncos have, so get that idea out of your head. It will take decades to compete with them if ever at all.

'Man City will never be as successful as Man Utd again', 'Fremantle will never be able to compete with the Eagles', 'the Cowboy's will always play little brother to the Broncos', 'the people of Sydney will never support the Swans in numbers', 'there's no chance that there'll be a professional RL club in Toronto in our lifetime', etc, etc, etc.

The same sort of stuff is repeated over and over by those that are incapable or unwilling to envision a future where the current status quo is radically changed.

Sure a second Brisbane club may only average 20-25ish k a year instead of the Bronco's 30k, maybe they don't pull in as much money for selling sponsorship space, maybe their ratings are a bit lower, etc, etc. But the money, support, and will is all there in Brisbane to create another club that is of similar scale to the Broncos, and so long as everybody plays their cards right there's no reason why the NRL and it's partners couldn't achieve another club of a similar scale to the Broncos creation.

However if the NRL go with a regional or suburban club that's what they'll get, and it'll be a massive waste of a place in the comp and every bodies time and money.

A brand new neutral franchise is most likely going to be comparable to the Titans or Cowboys when they first entered. The Broncos are the biggest, richest, most supported club in the NRL.

No, a new club on the Sunshine Coast or in CQ would be comparable to the Titans or Cowboys: a regional population that is spread over a relatively large geographical area without any real central location population wise to base in, without the high amount of corporate or sponsorship interest in the region that is natural in regional areas, etc.
Which, BTW, is why the NRL shouldn't even bother with the SC or CQ (or other regional markets in QLD and NSW) while markets like Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne, and the Cities in NZ, are under supplied.

A new club in Brisbane would/should be most comparable to the Crushers before the SL war really kicked off, or the Fremantle Dockers and Port Adelaide Power.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Regional clubs worked in nrl when you only needed $10mill to run a club, now you need $30mill plus it is unlikely a start up would be viable.
It’s one reason AFL has stuck to the big cities due to their club running costs always being a lot higher.

I agree re brisbnae2, everyone said the dockers wouldn’t be able to survive with the eagles being such a huge club, last year they had a revenue over $50mill and made over $8mill profit with an avg crowd of 40k.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Regional clubs worked in nrl when you only needed $10mill to run a club, now you need $30mill plus it is unlikely a start up would be viable.
It’s one reason AFL has stuck to the big cities due to their club running costs always being a lot higher.

I agree re brisbnae2, everyone said the dockers wouldn’t be able to survive with the eagles being such a huge club, last year they had a revenue over $50mill and made over $8mill profit with an avg crowd of 40k.

And every club in the NRL would sacrifice their left nut to pull the sort of numbers that the "little" club in Perth is pulling.

mongoose

Coach
And like i was saying earlier in the thread, Brisbane in 2019 is a much different market to what Perth was in 1994. I want Brisbane 2 but if you think it's going to be a case of just add water and they will be a big successful club from the start then I think you are going to be disappointed.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I want Brisbane 2 but if you think it's going to be a case of just add water and they will be a big successful club from the start then I think you are going to be disappointed.

Nobody said that it would be easy, however it definitely won't happen if we don't even try!

Dakink

Bench
Having lived in SE QLD/Far North NSW for 35 years, there is most definitely an appetite and market for a 2nd Brisbane team. I think now is even more a relevant time for a 2nd team to be introduced. We need more QLD players exposed to the highest level.

Perth Red

Post Whore
And like i was saying earlier in the thread, Brisbane in 2019 is a much different market to what Perth was in 1994. I want Brisbane 2 but if you think it's going to be a case of just add water and they will be a big successful club from the start then I think you are going to be disappointed.

Dockers weren’t successful from the start, quite the opposite losing money off field and losing games on it. Took a couple of decades of building. thing Is if you never start you don’t get anywhere!

mongoose

Coach
Having lived in SE QLD/Far North NSW for 35 years, there is most definitely an appetite and market for a 2nd Brisbane team. I think now is even more a relevant time for a 2nd team to be introduced. We need more QLD players exposed to the highest level.

that's true, there is 14 teams in QLD cup all feeding into 4 NRL teams (Storm are the 4th). I realize any NRL club is free to sign players from QLD but I wonder how many talented players are being looked over in QLD.

flippikat

Bench
Perth dominating the fans poll on where next expansion should be

View attachment 32127

Great to see Perth well in front. It's been a no brainer for so long, surely it's got to be coming with the next TV deal.

I'm surprised that PNG is up there.. they're surely not capable of sustaining an NRL team right now.

Interesting too that there's sizable demand for a Central Coast team. The big question is whether that should be a relocation or entirely new team. (I'd prefer relocation, the ratio of NSW to interstate/NZ is already too skewed to NSW).

Brisbane 2 is well in demand too (if you add Brisbane 2 and Ipswich/Logan, it's neck and neck with Central Coast).

I get the feeling from that survey that if one Sydney team is relocated to the Central Coast, and we add Perth and a 2nd Brisbane team, we'd be set for the next few years.

Beyond that, it's neck-and-neck between the potential locations for the following expansion (Adelaide, Wellington, Central Queensland, Fiji for some reason..).

I'd be intregued to see what the poll would say in 5 years time if we had Brisbane 2, Perth & Central Coast all in the NRL and they asked to vote between the remaining options for the next expansion phase.

flippikat

Bench
Isn't Ipswich/Logan the same as Brisbane 2?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.. and it kinda muddies the poll. I just resolve that by lumping it together, and it's close to the vote for Central Coast.

If you do that, the signs are very clear that Perth, Central Coast & Brisbane 2/Ipswich/Logan are streets ahead of anywhere else in public opinion.

We need those 3 ASAP. Then it's time to lay down some groundwork for the following expansion and/or relocation wave.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Perth dominating the fans poll on where next expansion should be

It's great that Perth is winning and all, but honestly who cares who is winning the fan poll.

These fan poll's are basically asking the most ill-informed, emotionally corrupt, and just outright biased people their opinion on any given subject.

The fact that the CC is coming second in that poll, Ray Warren is coming second in the best play-by-play commentator poll, and an illiterate moron like Joey Johns is coming first in the best TV analyst category, should be all you need to see to realise that fan poll's like this aren't very valuable measures of anything.

taipan

Referee
With the absence of the Force in WA,the crowds for both SOO and now the Bledisloe, IMO Perth is showing up Brisbane 2 for entry into the NRL.
If Greenberg has half a Brian in his current research as to where the NRL goes next, and his recommendations to the Commission, one would have to propose a Perth NRL team is a no brainer..
And I say this despite me having past shots at you know who, there is a vacuum in Perth ,that needs to be filled.

Latest posts