What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QLD doesn't need another team

flippikat

Bench
Is it the end of this season when the NRL announces their review about expansion?

I sure hope so. The endless fan speculation, and huge field of increasingly impatient bids make expansion one of the off-field areas where the game have spectacularly dropped the ball.

The Great Dane

First Grade
is it just me who thinks nothing will come of it? just more games taken to Perth, more games taken to CC and Christchurch, more games to the bush. To be re-reviewed in 2022.

No you aren't the only one who thinks that way.

We can dream though.

Diesel

Referee
is it just me who thinks nothing will come of it? just more games taken to Perth, more games taken to CC and Christchurch, more games to the bush. To be re-reviewed in 2022.
The public backlash will be huge if nothing changes

Diesel

Referee
Most fans will be happy I suspect. If you support a small club the last thing you want to see is another broncos and storm entering the comp.
I doubt most fans want the game to go backwards. Most fans want to see their team play in the premier RL competition.

Relocations would guarantee their survival and clubs will need to do a cost analysis to see if it is worth them moving and sponsorship available. I’m sure the NRL is doing the same, but while clubs are getting a $13m grant to cover a $10m salary cap, there is no incentive to move.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I doubt most fans want the game to go backwards. Most fans want to see their team play in the premier RL competition.

Relocations would guarantee their survival and clubs will need to do a cost analysis to see if it is worth them moving and sponsorship available. I’m sure the NRL is doing the same, but while clubs are getting a $13m grant to cover a $10m salary cap, there is no incentive to move.

Yeah, you haven't interacted with enough fans in the wild. . .

Don't let this and other bubbles online trick you into thinking that there is a huge demand for expansion, rationalisation, and just general growth in the fan base, because their really isn't.

When it comes to expansion most average fans, especially fans of Sydney clubs, are emotionally corrupt fools who couldn't care less about what is best for the sport and it's growth, and only care about how it'll effect "their" club.

Last edited:

mongoose

Coach

Don't let this and other bubbles online trick you into thinking that there is a huge demand for expansion, rationalisation, and just general growth in the fan base, because their really isn't.

When it comes to expansion most average fans, especially fans of Sydney clubs, are emotionally corrupt fools who couldn't care less about what is best for the sport and it's growth, and only care about how it'll effect "their" club.

Hopefully they will care when the money starts drying up and players like Kalyn Ponga, Latrell Mitchell and Tom Trbo are considering switching to Rugby because they can no longer get paid 900k+ a year in League.

flippikat

Bench
Hopefully they will care when the money starts drying up and players like Kalyn Ponga, Latrell Mitchell and Tom Trbo are considering switching to Rugby because they can no longer get paid 900k+ a year in League.

Either that, or they see more earning potential in the Superleague once North American teams rise to the top tier.

We're already seeing the Wolfpack sign some pretty well known names (albeit towards the back end of their career) - just see what happens when they get the cash and the profile of a seat at the "big table" and sign a star NRL player at the height of their career.

Diesel

Referee

I get what you are saying and I agree. The problem with the current administration is they’re not capable of making unpopular decisions

VictoryFC

Bench
Either that, or they see more earning potential in the Superleague once North American teams rise to the top tier.

We're already seeing the Wolfpack sign some pretty well known names (albeit towards the back end of their career) - just see what happens when they get the cash and the profile of a seat at the "big table" and sign a star NRL player at the height of their career.

Hilarious that people think SL will be able to compete financially with NRL. Even more hilarious is that this supposed growth is coming from NA.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
I saw an article recently that the AFL will probably be introducing a Tasmanian team from 2023, with the Hawks and Kangaroos 1 game per year deal fininshing in 2021 and not being reinstated. The murmur is that this gives Tasmania 2022 with no AFL in order to drum up the hype for the new Tassie team, with inclusion into the league by 2023.

This means that the AFL will have added 3 teams within the space of 10 years and the NRL can barely get 1 going in 15-20. Expansion of the NRL is becoming a myth.

VictoryFC

Bench
I saw an article recently that the AFL will probably be introducing a Tasmanian team from 2023, with the Hawks and Kangaroos 1 game per year deal fininshing in 2021 and not being reinstated. The murmur is that this gives Tasmania 2022 with no AFL in order to drum up the hype for the new Tassie team, with inclusion into the league by 2023.

This means that the AFL will have added 3 teams within the space of 10 years and the NRL can barely get 1 going in 15-20. Expansion of the NRL is becoming a myth.

Tasmania, yes, which is about as attractive to broadcasters as eating dogshit.

It seems like auskick is scrambling. It knows that broadcasters overpaid, which is why it's trying to extend its broadcasting deal by an extra two years, and trying to create another timeslot by adding another game through two new teams. The only reason they're going to Tasmania is because they're tapped out. Nowhere else to go.

The NRL, should it opt to expand, has two of Australia's five largest markets to consider.

The NRL is walking to the next negotiation in a much stronger position than auskick.

The A-League also just expanded..... And I'm pretty sure the NBL is about to as well.

So you're pointing to a competition that is on its knees as an example that the NRL should expand?

flippikat

Bench

Hmm.. with a quick google search, I'm getting articles suggesting AFL team 19 being Tasmania in 2023, then a 3rd Queensland team to be team 20.

Beats me why they're suggesting Queensland 3 instead of a 3rd WA team, or 3rd Sydney team, or Canberra - you think any of those other options could earn more.

Interesting times if AFL put in a 3rd Queensland team, though.

Last edited:

greenBV4

Bench
Hmm.. with a quick google search, I'm getting articles suggesting AFL team 19 being Tasmania in 2023, then a 3rd Queensland team to be team 20.

Beats me why they're suggesting Queensland 3 instead of a 3rd WA team, or 3rd Sydney team, or Canberra - you think any of those other options could earn more.

Interesting times if AFL put in a 3rd Queensland team, though.

Surely they would go with Canberra over QLD 3.. or maybe they are keeping that option open for a fully relocated GWS if needed.

Where in QLD did it mention? It'll be a sad day if they get in a 2nd Brisbane day before us.

Latest posts