What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QLD doesn't need another team

Canard

Immortal
That’s just long winded bs

you said which team you thought would be team 17

it wasn’t Brisbane

your mates that said the same thing are all saying now they knew Brisbane 2 was a shoe in
Should be easy to find posts saying this then.

Put up, or shut up.

Take a look at the crap people were saying earlier in this thread.

Both arguments for a second Queensland team fall flat; if it's another composite Brisbane team that plays out of Suncorp what attracts people to them who weren't already Broncos fans?
If it's an upjumped QRL team, who supports them outside of their local area and that's assuming those fans don't already follow an existing team.
Real expansion needs to happen outside areas that already have access to regular top-flight games. Queensland already has 3 teams.

If it's a location based one like Redcliffe then it's over before it begins because people from Ipswich, Logan, etc. Aren't going to get behind Redcliffe.

But that was a team formed a few years after the Broncos when the BRL/anti-broncos crowd was in full swing. Now you'd be entering a market with people who are 32 and under who would've always been Broncos fans.

If the aim is to expand rugby league, Brisbane2 can easily be skipped in favour of Perth and Adelaide where a team will attract new people to the game.

How is there money in a second Brisbane team? who's going to support them? because the broncos supporters are not going to. i think it will be a big fail

Do not ever again refer to Perth as a southern capital you absolute chode. It's also a load of bullshit that Perth has nothing but the AFL. WA have the biggest BBL and NBL crowds and strong support for smaller sports across the board. It's glaringly obvious that you're talking out of your ass. WA and SA simply have better sporting cultures than the East. From tennis to soccer they beat everyone on a per capita basis and often on just a pure attendance basis.

Both Union and League did compete quite successfully with the AFL, the Reds used to average crowds of 18000 during the time, so too the Force prior to the absolute shambles of the ARU at one point brought in crowds in the 20000+ range, even last year running friendlies against international sides they were bringing in crowd averages of 15,000.

The dumbest thing that gets said about Perth by people who've never lived there is that it's some AFL crazy state like Victoria. It isn't, the AFL only dominates because of all the major sports they're the only ones who haven't been undermined by interstate administrations that made it impossible to succeed. The Reds were forced to pay other teams to play against them, paying airfares and accomodation for visiting teams was an absolute joke, the same was true for the Force, made to play with a lower salary cap than other Australian teams to limit their access to top flight talent. The Glory pulled in 56000 this year for their grand final against Sydney and 18000+ crowds during their home finals. They do pull shit crowds averaging the 10,000 mark, this is endemic to the A-League in general though who have seen a massive drop in support and interest ever since access to Premier League and UEFA Champions League has been made available to Soccer fans wanting to watch the highest level of the sport.

On a grassroots level WA has had massive support for both League and Union historically and the only times either code has had a drop in interest at the club level has been when admin in the East f**ked them around. 36 Rugby clubs across WA with 22 based in Perth and 27 Rugby League clubs across WA with 12 based in Perth (and multiple applications for new clubs being processed) demonstrates the support for winter sports outside of the AFL.

I use to think that. Now I don't really see that much of a demand for it. Perth is a must and if that includes Brisbane 2 than so be it. Any talk of Moreton Bay or Redcliffe is going to fail. Sunshine Coast might be a good bet, and might be a good rivalry with the Gold Coast.

Great to see Perth well in front. It's been a no brainer for so long, surely it's got to be coming with the next TV deal.

With the absence of the Force in WA,the crowds for both SOO and now the Bledisloe, IMO Perth is showing up Brisbane 2 for entry into the NRL.

Last edited:
Expansionazis

not true expansionists

The only reason they want the ARLC to prioritise Adelaide and Perth ahead of every other market is so they can win code war arguments on The Roar and Reddit. RU, A-League and AwFuL trolls are always giving RL fans shit about not being a national sport.

RU fans gloated for years about Super Rugby having a more national footprint than the NRL. They lost one of their expansion clubs and are about to lose another. AwFuL is struggling to gain a foothold in Western Sydney and Gold Coast. I have no doubt the ARLC is aware of the financial struggles of the Force, Rebels, Giants and Suns and will be apprehensive about taking on a similar project in Adelaide and Perth.

Perth's bid haa been dealt a huge blow by the debacle over the Commonwealth Games cancellation in Victoria, Olympics stadia backflip in Queensland and suburban stadia funding backflip in NSW. It's shown just how risky it is to rely on a state government for financial backing.

Perth's Lord Mayor put in a bid for the Commonwealth Games. He got no support from the WA Gov. Not a good sign for the Perth consortium bidding for an NRL licence.

Does Perth get a team without any commitment from the WA Gov to build a high performance training centre and an upgrade of PRS?

It would cost over $100m to fund both projects.

What are the odds of the WA Gov throwing that sort of money at upgrading PRS and building a high performance training centre for the Pirates?

Will the ARLC trust the WA Gov to do the right thing after being f**ked over by the NSW Gov?

Despite all of the shit Perth Rat and mongoose heap on the Brisbane Tigers' bid, there's a lot to like about the club. They own an NRL standard high performance training centre. The best rectangular stadium in the country is just a few kilometres away from their training base. The club has more than $100m in assets under its name. Importantly, it has the backing of Ch9. It might not get the 18th licence, but I'll be surprised if it doesn't get one of the other two.

Red rat felon 🤣

I remember RedsFalon arguing that the English rugby union competiton is bigger than the NRL. When I showed him the actual worth of its broadcast deal, salary cap and low TV ratings he f**ked off.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Nah Bunniesman is a legend. But yeah feel free to ignore me - I'm a one eyed Manly supporter since primary school, and my opinions may not match yours.

Re. Alt account - I don't have one. Been on this forum longer than you have, but you seem to have more time on your hands to post. I was on Reddit for a while but then got booted for expressing opinions similar to what I posted above, by people similar to you.
Let's pretend I think you're genuine for a moment.

A lot of your reasoning for your opinions is indefensible on face value, and the fact you're so quick to hide behind the 'it's my opinion man' defence shows you're aware of that on some level.

Nobody is trying to silence you, you're not a victim, nor are you a radical fighting the establishment. Your position, or near enough to it, is the establishment opinion, always has been, probably always will be.

Canard

Immortal
Let's pretend I think you're genuine for a moment.

A lot of your reasoning for your opinions is indefensible on face value, and the fact you're so quick to hide behind the 'it's my opinion man' defence shows you're aware of that on some level.

Nobody is trying to silence you, you're not a victim, nor are you a radical fighting the establishment. Your position, or near enough to it, is the establishment opinion, always has been, probably always will be.
It's funny how those fighting hard to sell the NRL position of 'don't bother' adding any team outside of SEQ, think they are the forward thinking anti-establishment types.

I also love how there is people on LU literally gloating about how great the NRL expansion plans are, when in the last 30 years the code has added two teams, both from SEQ.

MugaB

Coach
It's funny how those fighting hard to sell the NRL position of 'don't bother' adding any team outside of SEQ, think they are the forward thinking anti-establishment types.

I also love how there is people on LU literally gloating about how great the NRL expansion plans are, when in the last 30 years the code has added two teams, both from SEQ.
I think the gloating is more PVL fans, where a chairman has actually listen to its fans, and expressed a desire to expand into areas we should have had teams decades ago, without diminishing whats currently there (addition) do I agree with PVL mostly, do I gloat about seq, sometimes, depending on the circumstance, having a 2nd presence there in brisbane should have been done long ago, and we should have been pushing a 3rd one by now, but not ahead of other areas that lack even an NRL presence.
Everyone wants a dots left on the map approach, (I.E Perth, Adelaide, Christchurch) which is fine if the code has enough players to circulate to keep the bulk of the competition competitive over a somewhat 5 year span expansion club, but if we say there's 22 club comp that they are striving for there's only really 5 slots left, those 3 areas wont produce a meaningful instant 1st graders for decades, to add to the circulation of that said player pool, (maybe Christchurch could with the other areas of NZ)
So there would need to be an expansion nessesary in a place like QLD that could help drive that player number up while all the other expansion areas can evolve, just like what the dolphins are doing, I could see another seq team as no.20 or 21

Canard

Immortal
I think the gloating is more PVL fans, where a chairman has actually listen to its fans, and expressed a desire to expand into areas we should have had teams decades ago, without diminishing whats currently there (addition) do I agree with PVL mostly, do I gloat about seq, sometimes, depending on the circumstance, having a 2nd presence there in brisbane should have been done long ago, and we should have been pushing a 3rd one by now, but not ahead of other areas that lack even an NRL presence.
Everyone wants a dots left on the map approach, (I.E Perth, Adelaide, Christchurch) which is fine if the code has enough players to circulate to keep the bulk of the competition competitive over a somewhat 5 year span expansion club, but if we say there's 22 club comp that they are striving for there's only really 5 slots left, those 3 areas wont produce a meaningful instant 1st graders for decades, to add to the circulation of that said player pool, (maybe Christchurch could with the other areas of NZ)
So there would need to be an expansion nessesary in a place like QLD that could help drive that player number up while all the other expansion areas can evolve, just like what the dolphins are doing, I could see another seq team as no.20 or 21
QLD doesnt need another NRL team (yet) to produce RL players, it's doing that now.

And if they did, wouldn't the new team take all those extra resources, so therefore defeat the purpose?

SEQ will get another team, it shouldn't be so soon after the last one though.

Knowing the NRL they will take the lazy option and likely expand a third straight SEQ team.

Latest posts