What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QLD Maroons 2024

MRN

Juniors
I love how we've been losing players steadily for 10 weeks, a solid handful that were certainties or neck and neck with another player and the media has barely made a pep about the repercussions for QLD. Yet the blues lose a few players in a week or two and all the emphasis is on them being battered and it's all hard times and it's all the RL media is talking about.

ALX25

Bench
AJ Brimson sustained a groin injury that will keep the dynamic star on the sidelines for the next six to eight weeks; whilst scans have confirmed Phil Sami sustained a Grade 2 hamstring strain, which will see him miss the next month.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
I think Fotuaika and Welch are in line for selection, to join Collins, Carrigan and Cotter.

Below that our middle forwards are not really Origin quality but we've already had the cream skimmed by injury.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
It's a tough one.

For a touch of class Mam is certainly demonstrating that in a good team. For all out effort, toughness and reliability, Dearden is your man. But playing in a poor team is hurting him.

I generally have faith Slater will find the right mix.

King hit

Coach
Probably will go with Dearden. Been there and done it. Not origin related but I wouldn’t be surprised if Mam goes down the Milford route eventually.

Big Pete

Referee
I'd lean towards Dearden and his leadership qualities. As Slater demonstrated last year, he isn't overly concerned with form and will back his coaching ability to get the performance he wants. With Reynolds out, Mam is just starting to develop as a key playmaker so I'd allow that to happen and get him around camp.

The Broncos have the bye for Games I and II so Mam would be ideal for 18th man and Slater should bring in Walker for Game III.

Big Pete

Referee
This was the squad from earlier in the year:

Queensland Maroons Pre-Season Squad
Jai Arrow South Sydney Rabbitohs
AJ Brimson Gold Coast Titans
Kurt Capewell New Zealand Warriors

Pat Carrigan Brisbane Broncos
Daly Cherry-Evans Manly Warringah Sea Eagles
Xavier Coates Melbourne Storm
Selwyn Cobbo Brisbane Broncos
Lindsay Collins Sydney Roosters
Reuben Cotter North Queensland Cowboys
Tom Dearden North Queensland Cowboys
Tino Fa'asuamaleaui Gold Coast Titans
Beau Fermor Gold Coast Titans
David Fifita Gold Coast Titans
Thomas Flegler The Dolphins
Moeaki Fotuaika Gold Coast Titans
Dane Gagai Newcastle Knights
Tom Gilbert The Dolphins
Harry Grant Melbourne Storm
Valentine Holmes North Queensland Cowboys
J'maine Hopgood Parramatta Eels
Corey Horsburgh Canberra Raiders
Ben Hunt St George Illawarra Dragons
Felise Kaufusi The Dolphins
Heilum Luki North Queensland Cowboys
Ezra Mam Brisbane Broncos
Cameron Munster Melbourne Storm
Jeremiah Nanai North Queensland Cowboys
Corey Oates Brisbane Broncos
Kalyn Ponga Newcastle Knights
Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow The Dolphins
Murray Taulagi North Queensland Cowboys
Sam Walker Sydney Roosters
Reece Walsh Brisbane Broncos
Christian Welch Melbourne Storm

So that leaves 26 players (knock on wood). Outside of this squad I'd say Su'A has been the stand-out performer and if we're nominating players from our own club, Jensen's been in career best form for the Broncos.

This would be my side at a glance.

1. Reece Walsh
2. Murray Taulagi
3. Valentine Holmes
4. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow
5. Xavier Coates
6. Thomas Dearden
7. Daly Cherry-Evans
8. Lindsay Collins
9. Ben Hunt
10. Reuben Cotter
11. David Fifita
12. Jeremiah Nanai
13. Patrick Carrigan

14. Harry Grant
15. Christian Welch
16. Moeaki Fotuaika
17. Beau Fermor

Cobbo can consider himself unlucky, but he's still adjusting to that left centre position while the Hammer allows the Maroons to assert more pressure on the Blues.

The forwards could use some work. The starting pack are all definites, it's just a matter of whether certain players start or not. I'm a big believer in having two traditional props off the bench and so I've just gone with Welch and Mo at the moment. After a slow start, Fermor has started to come into his own and his work-rate on both sides of the football has won me over. He'll take on Piakura this Sunday, so it'll be a good audition for him against another Maroons prospect.

Latest posts