What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QLD Side for Game 3

NPK

Bench
Phillips said:
1. Schifcofske
2. Slater
3. Tate
4. Berrigan
5. Sing
6. Lockyer ©
7. Thurston
8. Nutley
9. Smith
10. Civoniceva
11. Crocker
12. Thorn
13. Wagon

14. Marsh
15. Bowen
16. Flannery
17. Ross

18. Harrison

Not Considered: Price, Webb, Carroll

Don't agree. Bench is too small. Harrison is way better than Wagon.

jc155776

Coach
salivor said:
Tonga and Berrigan are the current Australian centres. Bowman isn't, simple.

Tonga has been injured AND out of form before he was injured too, Bowman is the better player by far at the moment.

salivor

First Grade
jc155776 said:
Tonga has been injured AND out of form before he was injured too, Bowman is the better player by far at the moment.

I'm well aware of the long injury spell but same goes for the likes of Carroll and for the NSW perspective Johns, you'd bring in class like that in a heartbeat regardless of very little game time under their belts. I don't question that Bowman isn't the best defensive centre in the game but he offers very little on attack and we've been outscored in terms of tries in both matches to date and I don't see NSW's backline slowing down for game 3. A backline of Slater, Williams, Berrigan, Tonga, Sing, Lockyer and Thurston is more than capable of the 25+ we're going to need to beat NSW.

Broncodroid

Juniors
2005 Season

Metres Gained - Avg. per game - Tries - Points

C. Schifcofske - 1344m - 192.0 - 6 - 82 (6T-28G-2FG)

M. Bowen - 1649m - 137.4 - 10 - 40

R. Wesser - 2188m - 168.3 - 11 - 44

B. Slater - 1169m - 116.9 - 11 - 44

I think Schifcofske more than holds his own attacking wise and again, coupled with his defence, positional player and ability to defuse the high ball, he will be under consideration IMO.

salivor

First Grade
God I hope not, Slater has to be the QLD fullback, his only replacement will be Hunt in 2-3 years time.

I was dirty on the QLD selectors when they dropped Schifcofske after one SOO game, he was unfairly used as a scapegoat but Schif is never going to bring to the team what Slater can. He's never going to score a try like in game 2 last year and he wouldn't have gone the length of the field like Slater did in Wednesdays game. Slater needs to be in that team somewhere and it's not on the wing for mine as we saw how easily he was exposed in game 3 last year on defence.

Wesser is a nutcase on defence and under the high ball, he'll never play SOO again IMO and Bowen has carved out a nice role now as QLD's answer to Craig Wing coming off the bench while Hunt is too young at this stage.

Broncodroid

Juniors
I am not sure if the position is up for debate, though I think Schifscofske comes into consideration. Sure, he does not offer the explosiveness of Slater from the back though I think Slater was again "jeckyl and hyde" in game 2. Some jaw dropping things, other times I was left scratching my head.

Slater was definately exposed in Origin last season defensively on the wing, good point salivor.

Schif is a great player that will not get as many rep jersey's as his talent deserves. Game 3 is going to be huge, having the safer and brilliant returner of the ball in Schif is not by any stretch of the imagination a "reach" and selectors may be tempted.

salivor

First Grade
Broncodroid said:
I am not sure if the position is up for debate, though I think Schifscofske comes into consideration. Sure, he does not offer the explosiveness of Slater from the back though I think Slater was again "jeckyl and hyde" in game 2. Some jaw dropping things, other times I was left scratching my head.

Slater was average at times, especially the lack of urgency which saw Minichiello score from the kick of the posts but he was great for mine in game 1 and stood up well under the high ball pressure in particular. I strongly feel that we need 25-30 points in us to beat this NSW side in game 3 and Slater will be part of that plan.

Broncodroid

Juniors
Not far off the mark again salivor, 25-30 points in Game 3 is just about right and YES, I am sure Slater figures in that plan. Fullback or wing is the question tossed around in a weeks time, Schifcofske is good for 8-10 points a game (rough guess), again with his solid all-round game he has to be considered.

Pistol

Coach
Everyone was saying Carlaw not to be in the side for game 2 but lets look at this from a neutral standpoint. He is a favourite of selectors. So is Slater. They are unlikely to be moved unless injured.

As for Bowman getting the flick, that wont happen unless the selectors want to go for an all out attacking centre pairing whilst risking the defense on that side of the field.

salivor

First Grade
Broncodroid said:
Not far off the mark again salivor, 25-30 points in Game 3 is just about right and YES, I am sure Slater figures in that plan. Fullback or wing is the question tossed around in a weeks time, Schifcofske is good for 8-10 points a game (rough guess), again with his solid all-round game he has to be considered.

We're not selecting a goal kicker though, it's never been QLD's policy and Smith gets the job done. Nothing against Schif as he wouldn't let anyone down but safe and steady isn't going to win this race.

Bullrider

Juniors
As good as Slater is i think lockyer needs a creative full back, so bring bowen to fullback and if sing isnt fit put slater on the wing and leave Bowman (made over 100m and made 39 tackles) next to slater. Get rid of Mcguire and Carlaw. Bring PJ Marsh to fill bowens spot because he is better at hooker. Thorn to 2nd row and and Stagg there as well and Crocker to 13. And the prop goes to Tronc. So the team.

1. Bowen
2. Williams
3. Berrigan
4. Bowman
5. Sing and Slater if Sing is not fit.
6. Locky
7. Thurston
8. Tronc
9. Smith
10. Petro
11. Stagg
12. Thorn
13. Crocker/ Flannery which ever on you want on the bench
14. Marsh
15. Ross
16. Crocker/ Flannery
17. Nutley

ByRd

First Grade
Willie Tonga is most likley going to return next week against the eagles. If he plays would you put him in the QLD side for origin 3???

salivor

First Grade
>THA BIG WILLIE< said:
Willie Tonga is most likley going to return next week against the eagles. If he plays would you put him in the QLD side for origin 3???

If he plays well and his fitness looks ok then I would. Tonga is world class, a current Australian centre and was brilliant in last years series.

Mal Meninga

Bench
Why has Dallas Johnson fallen off the radar? He could be much more useful than Carlaw. Ash Harrison or Tony Caroll if fit for Casey Mcguire, and Tonga or Hodges in for Bowman. Tate still looks under-done.

Eelectrica

Referee
Bowen to Fullback
Slater to Wing
Prince to Half
Wagon to lock
Thurston to cause havoc from the bench.
That is what needs to be done in order for Queensland to win game 3.

That said if Wagons injury is serious then blood Ashley Harrison. It's not ideal blooding him in a decider but it's doubtful that Carrol would be ready so their might not be any real choice.

TooheysNew

Coach
Slater would get found out defensively on the wing.
Thurston hasn't done much wrong to warrant bringing in Prince, and doesn't offer as much as Bowen from the bench.
Harrison is miles better than Wagon, injured or not.

drake

First Grade
On Webcke,
I heard him interviewed by Fatty, Russ and Sam kicovitch(sp) on MMM Friday night.
He said no before the question was finished.
He will not return to Origin if they come on bended knee. He has made up his mind, and is a man of will who keeps his word.

Every time I see this bloke interviewed I respect him more and more. Added to his career of constant effort, he truly is oone of the game's greats. A smart, tough, and hard working bloke who stands by his beliefs. As a dragons supporter and cockroach, thats hard to say about a banana bending bronco, but with Webcke it's not empty praise.

Thank god he's retired from rep footy says I the NSWelshman.
Too bad he's not playing says the league fan.

Latest posts