What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QLD Side for Game 3

Eelectrica

Referee
Slater on the wing would be a risk no doubt, but he needs to be in the team. Bowen is in better form at fullback so Bowen goes there with Slater on the wing.

Thurston has been going okay, but we need a game breaker to come off the bench and Thurston will fill in the role nicely. Prince has proven himself at Origin level and should have been in the Side from game 1.

Wagon has been in great form of late, is an 80 minute player who is a defensive workhorse and rarely misses a tackle. This is what Queensland have been missing, especially in the 2nd half of games one and two where NSW have scored 4 tries. If we can reduce NSW to 3 2nd half tries then Queensland have the attack to take advantage.
Also Wagon has been there, done that. He's played finals and a Grand final something that Ashley Harrison is yet to do.
Next year Ashley Harrison should be in the Origin team, but not this year.

Eelectrica

Referee
Another possible line up that I think could work:
1. Lockyer
2. Slater
3. Berrigan
4. Hodges
5. Sing
6. Thurston
7. Prince
8. Nutley
9. C. Smith
10 Civenoceva
11. Crocker
12. Thorn
13. Wagon/Harrison

14. Bowen
15. Carlaw
16. Ross
17. Parker

Tommy Smith

Referee
I disagree Eelectrica.

Harrison has been performing well for 2 years. But all of a sudden Daniel Wagon and the Eels have strung 6 or so wins together so he should get the nod ahead of Harrison? Don't think so.

borat

Bench
The backline definitely needs an overhaul. NSW backs have carved up the Qld backline in 2 games in a row and if they go in with the same backline again you will see a similar result.

1. Bowen must be in the starting team. This guy is just too good to be left with 30 mins from the bench. He must be either fullback or on the wing at the expense of Williams or Sing. Neither Sing or Williams have done much wrong but Bowen is just too damn good to be left out.

3. Qld will never win the next game with paul bowman in that team. If you wanted a tackling machine in the backs why don't they pick Harrison or Stagg there. Bowman stiffles the attack and even though he makes alot of tackles he also misses crucial tackles becuase he does not have the pace to macth it with the likes of Cooper & Gasnier. Even if Tonga is injured you still have Hannay, Bell, Tate or Hodges to choose from. All are a better options than Bowman. Defence in the backs is not going to win SOO3 alone.

4. David Stagg - How this guy has missed out on selection to date is beyond me. he is awesome and must be a better option than Carlaw or Macguire. Rookie or not if he is a standout in the broncos pack he should be there.

Bowman's done nothing wrong IMO, but I'd rather we bring Hodges or Tonga in if available.

Slater has played centres so perhaps Bowen plays fullback and Slater moves into the centres, dropping Bowman.

It's a problem. Bowen is too good to not be in from the word go, but if he is going to be in we need to be able to give him full roaming options.

Forwards. No particular arrangement, but Harrison, Wagon, Stagg all need to be considered seriously. Carlaw should be dropped, he did nothing bad, but those other 3 are playing better.

I still wish Webcke and Jason Smith were available. But time moves on.

Pistol

Coach
There was talk of the selectors dropping Bowen altogether as a way of shoring up the defence. Bad move IMO. Bowen is just wasted on the bench. He should start the game. There was also talk of putting some sparkle and flair in the centres which means that Bowman will probably make way for a Hodges, Tonga (if fit) or Tate, although that appears unlikely due to his ongoing injury concerns.

Mr Saab

Referee
drake said:
On Webcke,
I heard him interviewed by Fatty, Russ and Sam kicovitch(sp) on MMM Friday night.
He said no before the question was finished.
He will not return to Origin if they come on bended knee. He has made up his mind, and is a man of will who keeps his word.

Every time I see this bloke interviewed I respect him more and more. Added to his career of constant effort, he truly is oone of the game's greats. A smart, tough, and hard working bloke who stands by his beliefs. As a dragons supporter and cockroach, thats hard to say about a banana bending bronco, but with Webcke it's not empty praise.

yeah i heard that interview. I feel sorry for the guy having to say no no no no every interview. He has made is mind up and people have to respect his decision. I do. He said no to the 2001 roo tour when the players were asked to boycott, then the ARL backflipped and he still stood by his word.
The world needs more shane webckes!!!!

Azkatro

First Grade
My predicted team

01. Billy Slater
02. Ty Williams
03. Shaun Berrigan
04. Paul Bowman
05. Matt Sing
06. Darren Lockyer
07. Johnathan Thurston
08. Petero Civoniceva
09. Cameron Smith
10. Brad Thorn
11. Michael Crocker
12. Dane Carlaw
13. Tonie Carroll

14. Ben Ross
15. Carl Webb
16. Chris Flannery
17. Matt Bowen

Why oh why oh why can't Luke O'Donnell be a Queenslander? He's *exactly* the kind of player we need in the #12 in my team up there! Also I think Bowman has to be kept this time around, although Tonga may get a look-in if he returns well from injury. The simple fact is, NSW's backline (not including Rooney) is on absolute fire - Gasnier, Cooper and King. If Cooper starts looping around for them to attack down the left every now and again like they did in game 2, we'd be REALLY f**ked if we have anybody but Bowman and Sing on that side.

Azkatro

First Grade
salivor said:
Tonga and Berrigan are the current Australian centres. Bowman isn't, simple.

Kimmorley is the current Australian halfback, so that's not necessarily open and shut.

The Colonel

Immortal
0,1658,5018951,00.jpg
UNDER threat . . . North Queensland fullback Matt Bowen, whose State of Origin squad spot is in jeopardy despite scoring a try in each of the first two Origin matches this year. Picture: Cameron Laird.

Bowen bombshell brewing in Origin
Barry Dick, rugby league editor
20jun05

QUEENSLAND'S State of Origin selectors are steeling themselves for a public backlash, especially from north Queensland, if they bite the bullet and leave Matt Bowen out of the squad for the July 6 series decider.

Bowen has scored a try in each of the first two Origin matches this year, including the winning golden-point intercept in Game One, but his position will be the first reviewed when the selectors meet next week to choose the 17-man squad for Origin III.

There is a strong feeling in the Queensland camp that the Maroons cannot afford to carry Bowen and Billy Slater in the same squad and Slater's position is secure despite a below-par performance in last week's loss to NSW in Sydney.

The major problem the selectors have with Bowen is not his impact off the interchange bench in attack, it is that he is seen as a liability in defence.

Bowen's club coach Graham Murray was shocked yesterday to hear momentum was building for the Cowboys custodian to be left out of the Queensland squad.

"I'd be very disappointed for him if he missed out," Murray said. "I'm not a selector so it's not my business but I know where I would be playing Matty and that's at fullback.

"If it has to come down to a choice between Billy and Matty, I'd leave Billy out but, as I said, I don't have a say.

"I'm not saying Billy isn't a terrific player, because he is, but it really comes down to the Queensland selectors going with the best fullback available to them."

Bowen is an enormously popular player in Queensland, especially in the north, and his axing would not go down well with league fans. Only last week, in a Courier-Mail poll, he was rated the second-best player in the NRL behind Test and Queensland skipper Darren Lockyer.

The Queensland selectors are looking at other changes to their line-up for the decider at Suncorp Stadium with Bronco Dane Carlaw unlikely to make the 17 and utility Chris Flannery struggling to keep his place in the starting 13.

If Test lock Tonie Carroll were to prove his fitness in time he would go straight back into the No. 13 jersey but that seems unlikely so South Sydney's Ashley Harrison probably would come in and Flannery would move to the bench.

Enforcer Carl Webb (groin) will be battling to prove his fitness before the Queensland side is selected but Murray had good news yesterday when he reported Webb had declared himself a possible starter for the Cowboys against Canberra this weekend.

"That's what the player says, anyway," Murray said. "We'll have to see if the medical people agree."

Sharks hardman Danny Nutley is firming as a possible replacement for Carlaw or Webb, especially after Broncos veteran Shane Webcke yesterday, for the umpteenth time, rejected suggestions he make a comeback to representative football.

"I certainly won't be going back on the decision (to quit)," Webcke told ABC Radio. "I'm just a broken down old week-to-week club footballer now.

"I made a tough, hard decision and I can't go back on it. All I'd have to do (to play) is throw my credibility out the window."

With Willie Tonga unlikely to be fit, the backline is likely to remain intact with the selectors ignoring a Phil Gould-inspired push for Melbourne's Steve Bell in the centres. http://www.thecouriermail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,15663119%255E10389,00.html

*For mine I think Bowen may make way for PJ Marsh to return to Origin....

Shifty

Juniors
1 - M. Bowen
2 - T. Williams
3 - S. Berrigan
4 - P. Bowman
5 - B. Slater
6 - D. Lockyer (c)
7 - J. Thurston
8 - P. Civoniceva
9 - C. Smith
10 - D. Nutley
11 - B. Thorn
12 - M. Crocker
13 - A. Harrison

14 - C. Webb
15 - B. Ross
16 - N. Myles
17 - C. Flannery

NPK

Bench
wow..I didn't see that coming! is Nate Myles a Queenslander?
He's injured too..maybe coming back soon, but not in time, even if he was a chance.

borat

Bench
1. Slater
2. Bowen
3. Berrigan
4. Hodges
5. Sing
6. Lockyer
7. Thurston
8. Civoneceiva
9. Smith
10. Thorn
11. Crocker
12. Stagg
13. Carroll

12. Ross
13. Webb
14. Flannery
15. Harrison

Shifty

Juniors
Nate Myles is a Cairns product, he will be a Test prop within a couple of seasons and should be ready to return for the Dogs this weekend.

Ross and Carlaw provide no go forward when Queensland really need it.

Myles is big, powerful AND mobile, he hits hard, offloads well and would provide the perfect impact off the bench for the Maroons.

Pistol

Coach
The Colonel said:
0,1658,5018951,00.jpg
UNDER threat . . . North Queensland fullback Matt Bowen, whose State of Origin squad spot is in jeopardy despite scoring a try in each of the first two Origin matches this year. Picture: Cameron Laird.

Bowen bombshell brewing in Origin
Barry Dick, rugby league editor
20jun05

QUEENSLAND'S State of Origin selectors are steeling themselves for a public backlash, especially from north Queensland, if they bite the bullet and leave Matt Bowen out of the squad for the July 6 series decider.

Bowen has scored a try in each of the first two Origin matches this year, including the winning golden-point intercept in Game One, but his position will be the first reviewed when the selectors meet next week to choose the 17-man squad for Origin III.

There is a strong feeling in the Queensland camp that the Maroons cannot afford to carry Bowen and Billy Slater in the same squad and Slater's position is secure despite a below-par performance in last week's loss to NSW in Sydney.

The major problem the selectors have with Bowen is not his impact off the interchange bench in attack, it is that he is seen as a liability in defence.

Bowen's club coach Graham Murray was shocked yesterday to hear momentum was building for the Cowboys custodian to be left out of the Queensland squad.

"I'd be very disappointed for him if he missed out," Murray said. "I'm not a selector so it's not my business but I know where I would be playing Matty and that's at fullback.

"If it has to come down to a choice between Billy and Matty, I'd leave Billy out but, as I said, I don't have a say.

"I'm not saying Billy isn't a terrific player, because he is, but it really comes down to the Queensland selectors going with the best fullback available to them."

Bowen is an enormously popular player in Queensland, especially in the north, and his axing would not go down well with league fans. Only last week, in a Courier-Mail poll, he was rated the second-best player in the NRL behind Test and Queensland skipper Darren Lockyer.

The Queensland selectors are looking at other changes to their line-up for the decider at Suncorp Stadium with Bronco Dane Carlaw unlikely to make the 17 and utility Chris Flannery struggling to keep his place in the starting 13.

If Test lock Tonie Carroll were to prove his fitness in time he would go straight back into the No. 13 jersey but that seems unlikely so South Sydney's Ashley Harrison probably would come in and Flannery would move to the bench.

Enforcer Carl Webb (groin) will be battling to prove his fitness before the Queensland side is selected but Murray had good news yesterday when he reported Webb had declared himself a possible starter for the Cowboys against Canberra this weekend.

"That's what the player says, anyway," Murray said. "We'll have to see if the medical people agree."

Sharks hardman Danny Nutley is firming as a possible replacement for Carlaw or Webb, especially after Broncos veteran Shane Webcke yesterday, for the umpteenth time, rejected suggestions he make a comeback to representative football.

"I certainly won't be going back on the decision (to quit)," Webcke told ABC Radio. "I'm just a broken down old week-to-week club footballer now.

"I made a tough, hard decision and I can't go back on it. All I'd have to do (to play) is throw my credibility out the window."

With Willie Tonga unlikely to be fit, the backline is likely to remain intact with the selectors ignoring a Phil Gould-inspired push for Melbourne's Steve Bell in the centres. http://www.thecouriermail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,15663119%255E10389,00.html

*For mine I think Bowen may make way for PJ Marsh to return to Origin....

makes sense seeing as Marsh has played hooker before and wouldnt be out of position. Although I think it would be a shame to see Bowen lose out on an Origin jersey. He is perfect for Origin.

borat

Bench
To me Bowen looks like the only player in the Qld side capable of making a line break or a try. Take him out of the equation and NSW defend OK, Qld will struggle to get over the try line

Bazal

Post Whore
borat said:
To me Bowen looks like the only player in the Qld side capable of making a line break or a try. Take him out of the equation and NSW defend OK, Qld will struggle to get over the try line

Depends who they replace him with. Replace him with PJ and they lose nothing in attack, but gain a lot in defence. If that article is true, this would be my side for the toads, assuming full fitness.

1-Slater
2-Williams
3-Berrigan
4-Bowman
5-Sing
6-Lockyer(c)
7-Thurston
8-Civoniceva
9-Smith
10-Ross
11-Crocker
12-Thorn
13-Carroll

14-Marsh
15-Flannery
16-Webb
17-Nutley/Harrison/Wagon (in that order)

Munky

Coach
Shifty said:
Ross and Carlaw provide no go forward when Queensland really need it.

Ross, no go forward?

Game 1

Hit ups: 15, metres: 135

Game 2

Hit Ups: 11, metre: 108

By comparison, Andrew Ryan

Game 1

Hit ups: 4, metres: 28

Game 2

Hit ups: 7, metres: 55