What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QLD State of Origin Team 2009 Game 1

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Dallas Johnson is what being a Queenslander is all about. Full of heart, passion, puts in 100% every minute and get's the job done.

You blues will never understand that, all full of individuals only interested in money - and it shows come origin

Oh, out comes the pride and passion rubbish again, laughable. :roll:

Dallas Johnson is a myth. Yeah, he's a good defender, but is pathetically mediocre in attack, he offers absolutely nothing at all with ball in hand.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Parker has 25 to Joshnson's 15. As I said, Johnson is a tackling machine, but Parker offers much more in attack. I'm not looking for Parker to replace Johnson, but he definitely deserves a spot.

There is your reason why Johnson, Harrison and Thaiday are the backrow. Parker misses too many tackles, heck I have seen him miss more than his fair share close to the line for Brisbane this year!

Dogaholic

First Grade
Stagg is too similar to Johnson, and I'd rather Johnson as he has runs on the board. Stagg does not scream "pick me", he screams "solid at best", and that is exactly what he is, similar to Michael luck, very solid first graders, a peg below Origin level though

On form this season Stagg is by far the best lock in the game.

As a Canterbury supporter I am glad he wasn't picked. As a NSW fan I am glad that Johnson was picked and Stagg was not.

Mr Saab

Referee
The side is fine for me...except they should have kept Hunt and fullback and Slater on the bench...just like games 2 and 3 last year...which QLD won.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Parker misses too many tackles, heck I have seen him miss more than his fair share close to the line for Brisbane this year!

I think you need to rub out whatever is in your eyes because Parkers goal line defence has been superb this season.

PS is right, you clearly are a spastic

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
There is your reason why Johnson, Harrison and Thaiday are the backrow. Parker misses too many tackles, heck I have seen him miss more than his fair share close to the line for Brisbane this year!

LOL So now it's missed tackles that sees Parker miss a spot? If that is the case one would think Thaiday with his 38 missed tackles should be sitting out no?

beave

Coach
Very happy for Matt Scott making the 18th man. Whilst more than likely he won't get a run, he has been playing wonderful football this year. No injuries definetley helps though, he has been dogged over the past few years. Some recognition for his form, and will add to his experience being around the elite again for a few weeks.

I must admit though, I really think Hunt should start, he is more robust than Slater and can handle the softening up period a bit better (IMO) than billy, but come the 30 min mark, I would be dropping a back rower, Johnson up to the 2nd row, Hunt to lock, Slater in at fullback. IIRC, we did that last year, they need to do it again.

lockyno1

Post Whore
LOL So now it's missed tackles that sees Parker miss a spot? If that is the case one would think Thaiday with his 38 missed tackles should be sitting out no?

No, Thaiday is more dynamic. Parker's attacking play is ridiculously overrated. For every good thing there is a dumb thing the next time. Hot and cold. i'd rather a safe lock in Johnson thanks. Harrison and Thaiday are better 2nd rowers, and Myles can fill up front.

Mr Saab

Referee
Looking forward to seeing how slater chimes in on backline plays. His passing his ????

His bomb defusal is also dodgy.
Slater dropped one vs the dogs....hunt didnt drop one vs the tigers in terrential rain.

Slate will start Locky, but he is not the best fullback for origin

lockyno1

Post Whore
I would be betting Hunt will start, it is how we won the series last time. Slater was named at fullback in game 2- Hunt started the game

hellteam

First Grade
I would be betting Hunt will start, it is how we won the series last time. Slater was named at fullback in game 2- Hunt started the game

Haha well I bet my friend $10 that he will be so fingers crossed.

Meninga surely knows the success he's had starting Hunt.

Big Pete

Referee
Predictible but I'm satisfied.

Johnson has always been an essential figure in the Origin side. He's passionate, tackles hard and makes plenty of them. Just because he doesn't do a lot with the ball doesn't mean he isn't effective.

Parker is a good club player BUT he doesn't deserve an Origin recall as far as I'm concerned. He lacks aggression in defence and he's only capable of one or two good runs before he becomes cannon fodder.

I've been impressed with Stagg, no doubt he's become a much better player than what he was in 2006 BUT it's better to be safe than sorry. Johnson has done the job for 3 years, why would you change a winning formula?

With that said, it's going to be a great series. It's the first time in awhile I believe the series could go either way.

coldhardbitch

Juniors
QLD will win series 3-0. Wonderful side picked here. The forward pack looks impressive.I've no doubt they will contain the NSW forwards mobility, and also provide their own with the likes of Harrison and Thaiday in the pack. It's going to be a fast moving origin, essecially with 2 refs, so it's good to see we have forward who have endurance and can play a high tempo without too many subs.

NSW side looks decent. Bailey and O'Donnell will be big assetts, I just think NSW lacks the origin experienced at this stage to win a series. NSW have thrown too many rookies into the side at once. QLD drip feeds them in so there is a good core of experience and only 1 or 2 debutants come in at any time.

Experience will be the key, in addition to Thurston's irresistable form at the moment. He is clearly the world's best player at the moment, and a 3rd Dally M could come his way if he keeps this form going.

Dazzat

First Grade

Reading Locky's posts is like watching the guy at the side show alley, replacing targets at the shooting gallery. He doesn't really expect them to stay there without being shot down again does he ...?

Big Pete

Referee
I don't know about 3-0 CHB but I hope we prevail. :)

I believe the injection of rookies will help the Blues. It's time for them to wipe the slate clean and start a new. Queensland did a similar thing in 2006. The difference is though their opposition had reached an end of an era with the likes of Andrew Johns and Ben Kennedy calling it quits at that level.

Sleep

Juniors
Stagg doesn't offer much more with ball in hand than Johnson does. Johnson is there purely to chop guys down and he does that perfectly. Why would they bring in another guy who's had his chance and didn't shine for a guy who's got it done everytime?

I like Stagg but Johnson has Origin written all over him. Stagg is just a solid first grader who's flourished in a side that tailors his skills.

QLD did the right thing sticking by their guys. If it's not broken don't fix it.