What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QLD Team 2017

big hit!

Bench
this is what i'd be most worried about as a blue (assuming forced changes)

1. slater
2. oates
3. boyd
4. chambers
5. holmes
6. norman
7. cronk
8. mcguire
9. smith
10 wallace
11 papa
12 thaiday
13 gillette

myles hess napa morgan

boyd as a centre is interesting. when was the last time he played there?

all of QLD's major wing options are primarly left wingers.........boyd, oates, holmes.......all lefties when on the wing, aren't they? feldt is a rightie......and gagai played there really well for QLD there in last season's series.

furthermore, I'd say they'd want to keep Gillet on the field the entire match so he'll be in his customary right edge role for QLD. Mcguire will probably be the middle forward (13).

thaiday is a middle rotation player now. he'll come off the bench. same with papalii where he's always done his thing for QLD.

for props and the 3rd middle player bench rotation, they'll probably be 3 of Myles, Napa, Lawrence, Wallace, Lillyman. Haven't seen much of Hess yet tbh. Is he middle/prop rotation? Could he still be a bit raw?

isaiah

Bench
Plenty of time for candidates to put their hand up (Napa, Holmes, Glasby, Friend). The real concern is the lack of genuine forward options after that.
glasby had a chance to shine taking bromwich's starting role. didnt notice him doing much

simmo05

Bench
Personally I wouldn't be against playing an extra ball playing forward to be honest. If we are taking a punt Coen Hess would be in the frame. Don't see QLD needing a utility so to speak but I do feel we will pick one. Just not sure who that is.

Don't be shocked to see Thurston named and given till Monday-Tuesday before SOO1. That is why I feel it will be Morgan at 6, and someone like DCE who has done the 14 jersey before.
TBA?

simmo05

Bench
As a blue i would not like to see norman at 5/8, morgan with the utility role on the bench or hess on the bench. He is a machine and can score a try.

RazorRam0n

Juniors
boyd as a centre is interesting. when was the last time he played there?

all of QLD's major wing options are primarly left wingers.........boyd, oates, holmes.......all lefties when on the wing, aren't they? feldt is a rightie......and gagai played there really well for QLD there in last season's series.

furthermore, I'd say they'd want to keep Gillet on the field the entire match so he'll be in his customary right edge role for QLD. Mcguire will probably be the middle forward (13).

thaiday is a middle rotation player now. he'll come off the bench. same with papalii where he's always done his thing for QLD.

for props and the 3rd middle player bench rotation, they'll probably be 3 of Myles, Napa, Lawrence, Wallace, Lillyman. Haven't seen much of Hess yet tbh. Is he middle/prop rotation? Could he still be a bit raw?

He played the entire 2008 season there at the Broncos and most of 2007... Played 1 game To dragons before Hornby was made a halfback

Bronco18

Juniors
[Boyd] played the entire 2008 season there at the Broncos and most of 2007... Played 1 game To dragons before Hornby was made a halfback

Nope.

Filled in sometimes, but Steve Michaels and Hodges were the centres. Stagg and Moon then took over after Michaels' injury. Boyd played primarily on the wing with Kemp.

Last edited:

RazorRam0n

Juniors
Nope.

Filled in sometimes, but Steve Michaels and Hodges were the centres. Stagg and Moon then took over after Michaels' injury. Boyd played primarily on the wing with Kemp.

wrong sunshine.

played 12 games in 2008 in centres 9 on the wing 3 at fb.

big hit!

Bench
Kevvie has decent little head ache going into this series that Meninga/Hagan really never had.....what with injuries and returns of players who weren't available last series.

slater, boyd, holmes, chambers, gagai, oates, munster, etc all vying for back line positions, and all will do extremely well there too but 7 doesn't go into 5, and then there is the composition of the 5 too.

and with thurston's injury, he has to decide on whether to take in DCE Milford or Morgan into the halves. i think he'll opt for milford, basically because he's a left side player at the broncos and will slot in there for QLD with Thurston a left side player in that structure too. plus he has a bit of an x-factor.

then the forwards with scott injured and parker retired, two big shoes to fill in the middle of the field right there. mcguire will be the MF, so he won't have to think too much about the #13, but he still needs to bring 2 players into the rotation. does he persist with myles, does he punt on lawrence, does he go for wallace, will he call on lillyman again?

FB: Slater
RW: Gagai
RC: Chambers
LC: Boyd
LW: Holmes (or Oates, but maybe Test incumbency may tilt it in Valentine's favour)
RH: Cronk
LH: Milford
AH: Smith
RF: Gillet
LF: Papalii (or he goes with Guerra and saves Papalii for interchange middle rotation where he's done plenty of damage against NSW in the past - then one of Lillyman and Wallace miss out)
MF: McGuire
PF: Napa
PF: Myles
IC: Morgan
IC: Thaiday
IC: Lillyman (Papalii)
IC: Wallace (Papalii)

Last edited:

RazorRam0n

Juniors
Kevvie has decent little head ache going into this series that Meninga/Hagan really never had.....what with injuries and returns of players who weren't available last series.

slater, boyd, holmes, chambers, gagai, oates, munster, etc all vying for back line positions, and all will do extremely well there too but 7 doesn't go into 5, and then there is the composition of the 5 too.

and with thurston's injury, he has to decide on whether to take in DCE Milford or Morgan into the halves. i think he'll opt for milford, basically because he's a left side player at the broncos and will slot in there for QLD with Thurston a left side player in that structure too. plus he has a bit of an x-factor.

then the forwards with scott injured and parker retired, two big shoes to fill in the middle of the field right there. mcguire will be the MF, so he won't have to think too much about the #13, but he still needs to bring 2 players into the rotation. does he persist with myles, does he punt on lawrence, does he go for wallace, will he call on lillyman again?

FB: Slater
RW: Gagai
RC: Chambers
LC: Boyd
LW: Holmes (or Oates, but maybe Test incumbency may tilt it in Valentine's favour)
RH: Cronk
LH: Milford
AH: Smith
RF: Gillet
LF: Papalii (or he goes with Guerra and saves Papalii for interchange middle rotation where he's done plenty of damage against NSW in the past - then one of Lillyman and Wallace miss out)
MF: McGuire
PF: Napa
PF: Myles
IC: Morgan
IC: Thaiday
IC: Lillyman (Papalii)
IC: Wallace (Papalii)

hot tip is munster will be picked.

this is based on consultation with cronk and smith and based on slater's inclusion

QLD has 6 or 7 match winners. Origin match winners to call upon and next to no Origin duds who are being considered.

NSW has one occasional Origin match winner( if he can be bothered turning on that is). Besides that one individual they will select 5 or 6 Origin duds. Players who will either have a slightly sub par Origin game or a horrendously sub par Origin game.
With 2 games in QLD, I know which team I'd be inclined to bet on.

Latest posts