What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QLD team for Game 2

Hmmm I think Mal has realised that the QLD forward pack can't go over the NSW, so he's chosen a mobile pack to go around them............. Interested to see how this plays out. Personally I think the Tamou loss is huge for NSW, the QLD forward pack genuinely feared his size, mobility and power. Hopefully Woods steps up.

Maroon4life

Juniors
Hmmm I think Mal has realised that the QLD forward pack can't go over the NSW, so he's chosen a mobile pack to go around them............. Interested to see how this plays out. Personally I think the Tamou loss is huge for NSW, the QLD forward pack genuinely feared his size, mobility and power. Hopefully Woods steps up.

He's using what he has, QLD front row stocks are embarrassingly low right now.

parky88

Juniors
Mobility is stupid. Hasn't worked for NSW when they had their backrower fetish and it won't work now. All the best teams have at least 3 props.

This. Props are an essential part of rugby league, how some people don't get this baffles me.

Mobility is stupid. Hasn't worked for NSW when they had their backrower fetish and it won't work now. All the best teams have at least 3 props.
I said before Game 1 we would lose.
Why would you change the winning formula of a 4 prop rotation to follow NSW's LOSING formula of smaller forwards.
I just don't understand it.

chigurh

I said before Game 1 we would lose.
Why would you change the winning formula of a 4 prop rotation to follow NSW's LOSING formula of smaller forwards.
I just don't understand it.

Beats me, too.

Surely you can pick Hannant and Scott and still go the mobility route?

It would still leave six backrowers in the team - that should be plenty.

If we manage to win game 2 I'll be very suprised if it is because of the "mobility/versitality" chosen.

big hit!

Bench
I agree with what you're saying but some of Scott's best games for QLD have been 30 minute stints in the first half before comming off, if he can produce one of those it sure's up our middle alot more. Like i said earlier their asking Scott to have a big game.

I think people are underestimating the starting pack. It will get on the front foot and i believe win the opening 20 minutes, The impact of Teo and Papali vs Fifita and Merrin will be the worrying factors leading into half time. Gillett just shouldn't be there, i still think hes cashing in on his rookie of the year award. Having Hannant come on would keep us golden the whole game.

Daley will be rotating Gallen, Woods, Bird, watmough, Fifita, & Merrin through the centre all game. They won't play more than 50mins individually. Scott can't take them all on his own.

The balance in the QLD forwards is f**ked not just because there aren't any other props, but more because the back rowers picked are primarily edge forwards. Parker and Papallii are the only two that are effective in the middle third every week for club. Thaiday plays there but he's shit and should stick to his old right edge position for the whole game.

Based on balance of middle to edge, only two (three max) of thaiday, McQueen, Gillett and t'eo should be in the team. Hannant should be there, as well as one of shillo or Kennedy.

Shorty

Staff member
Also Slater, Thurston, Harrison, Thaiday, Shillington aren't as good as what they use to be from 06-11. Still good players but not as good. Also the Cronk/Thurston combo is overrated imo, even for aus, it's the best australia has no doubt and is better than NSW's halves pairing, but it's no Thurston/Lockyer either. That alongside NSW being hungrier, players that are actually threatnening is what has evened up the playing field massively.
Slater and Cronk have been subpar all season but Thurston is usually inconsistent at times and then pulls out a big one for origin.
I don't think the Cronk/Thurston is the most flashy combo but they get the job done.

Who would you suggest lines up for Aus?

big hit!

Bench

Since NSW has gone the mobile route, It has been proven that they are consistently short of one big man. The impacts are felt when they don't win the set count and end up being worn down by the bigger pack.

Game 1 was the only game where QLD couldn't do it via the forwards and that was more to do with balance and personnel. They've repeated these mistakes for game 2.

But hodges proved that the lighter pack can still be exposed. The physical toll in tackling bigger guys all game has an impact. Hodges ran amock around the ruck later in the game. If they picked a unit that was better through the middle, they would eventually grind NSW down.

timka4

Bench
Slater and Cronk have been subpar all season but Thurston is usually inconsistent at times and then pulls out a big one for origin.
I don't think the Cronk/Thurston is the most flashy combo but they get the job done.

Who would you suggest lines up for Aus?

If you read my comment I said that it is the best Aus can produce at the moment, probably more of a comment on the lack of great, experienced halfbacks at the moment

DeeJ

Bench
The real issue here is if QLD managed to luck out with a win through enthusiasm we will pick the same small side for the decider and be beaten.

Meninga you fool.

Shorty

Staff member
If you read my comment I said that it is the best Aus can produce at the moment, probably more of a comment on the lack of great, experienced halfbacks at the moment
Yes but you also said they were fairly ordinary even for Aus, that's somewhat contradictory.

Dazzat

First Grade
This. Props are an essential part of rugby league, how some people don't get this baffles me.

It is assumed that the Origin is a different type of game, therefore negating the need for big boppers because of the sheer pace of the game.

This is ridiculous.

All 17 players in the game are used to playing a certain style of game that is based on 3-4 hit-ups in the middle. Asking these players to throw out what they have grown up with, and play every week, for a different faster style is ridiculous.

Hannant played the house down on Monday night, is a very mobile front rower, and made more metres than Gillett even though Gillett was playing on the fringes. Hannant could quite easily play 50-60 minutes of the game. Leaving him out is the worst selection mistake Queensland has made for a long time, and will come back to bite us.

Loyalty ... to McQueen. Really? McQueen was probably the worst performer of the four bench players in Game 1, yet gets promoted to the starting side ...?

McQueen would not have been chosen for Game 1 if Hannant hadn't have been picked - that's a fact. He should have made way for Hannant.

Reidy87

Juniors
Yep - Shillo was soft first game and deserved to be dropped, but I would have gone with Hannant AND Kennedy AND Papalli. We have gone with four props for years and laughed at NSW for their obsession with mobile forwards...now we do the same thing.

McQueen should have made way for Hannant - Myles back row, Kennedy on the bench for Cherry Evans because Inglis covers halves and FB - Teo and Gillett cover centres...it's easy Mal!

Our side still looks better than NSW with no Hayne, Tamou or Fergo - we are very lucky in this regard. if we win this game, bring back the big fellas for the next one.

timka4

Bench
Yes but you also said they were fairly ordinary even for Aus, that's somewhat contradictory.

It is though, imo Thurston and Cronk have never properly formed a dominant halves pairing, been good but not dominant

Dazzat

First Grade
It is though, imo Thurston and Cronk have never properly formed a dominant halves pairing, been good but not dominant

When you have a backline like Queensland, the halves would be looking to ignite the likes of Slater, Hodges, Inglis, Tate and Boyd, rather than make all the play themselves.

Had act to follow after Lockyer though.

Latest posts