What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QLD Team Game Three

Timbo

Staff member
What about Darren Smith, still going strong, playing like a 20 year old.

Or maybe Jason Smith, so he can fulfill his commitment to the Raiders.

Or maybe a REAL bolter, pulling someone from the QLD cup perhaps?

I agree Bman, Steven Bell hasn't had a mention and his form warrants selection. On current form Bowman is behind Bell and Hodges, but the selectors obviously think otherwise.

Broncodroid

Juniors
I posted in another thread, the logical option is Tony Carroll if he comes through unscathed on the weekend, though given we are carrying three forwards already, my three bolters would be from one of; PJ Marsh, Scott Prince or Tim Smith.

Why?

Well, PJ Marsh has been killing them for the Eels off the bench. He would not let us down and has "been there, done that" before. Craig Wing type role for QLD. My preferred option.

Scott Prince is in better form in 2005 than he was in 2004. Jonathon Thurston could be used in the role of a Craig Gower for the Blues and Prince can start. If not PJ, select Prince.

Tim Smith is a rookie, perhaps 1,000,000-1 to get the nod though his meteroic rise at half, you cannot discount him even though we are heading to the biggest game of the season barring the Grand Final. He could be used from the bench...doubtful, unlikely etc. though I would not be surprised either.

Be all end all, this TBA BS is not needed in the decider, games 1 or 2 maybe, in the decider, this speculation at camp is not warranted.

Shifty

Juniors
Flannery provides cover for the centres, 5/8 and lock and Mick Crocker can move to hooker if required. Harrison can provide spark off the bench and there is no need for another utility.

Casey McGuire and Matty Bowen on the bench for Game 2 was a huge blunder. Without Price there they definitely need three big forwards on the bench. It's no good having PJ Marsh coming on if the front-rowers are too stuffed to go forward. They may as well have left Bowen on the bench and retained Slater if they go that way.

Parker and Ross are good toilers, but the Maroons need a big forward on the bench who can provide impact......enter Nate Myles.

NPK

Bench
Nah, Mick Crocker isn't a hooker. They've tried that before and he doesn't give good service from dummy half.

Shifty

Juniors
I agree that Crocker isn't ideal at dummy half, but Smith should be out there for 80 minutes barring injury. Taking the gamble and having to resort to Crocker at hooker is better IMO, than leaving the forwards inadequately covered and wasting an interchange on Marsh.

Having Harrison and Marsh, is not too much different to having McGuire and Bowen on the bench.

I don't think the TBA is disruptive to the maroons camp if Hagan goes in from session 1 and tells the players what will happen if Carroll is fit, and what will happen if he isn't.

No matter what, Qld really needs to blood some new forwards, ie props, or find some for next year. Nutley, Webcke (not even available), Price, Petro, not exactly spring chickens.

Shifty

Juniors
Rastus_in_Melbourne said:
I don't think the TBA is disruptive to the maroons camp if Hagan goes in from session 1 and tells the players what will happen if Carroll is fit, and what will happen if he isn't.

No matter what, Qld really needs to blood some new forwards, ie props, or find some for next year. Nutley, Webcke (not even available), Price, Petro, not exactly spring chickens.

.....enter Nate Myles.

insider

Juniors
you know what i think??

they should ban players coming out of retirement for the decider

if chu not eligible for the first 2 games, your not eligible for the last

if only i was in charge of the game

Rastus_in_Melbourne said:
I agree Bman, Steven Bell hasn't had a mention and his form warrants selection. On current form Bowman is behind Bell and Hodges, but the selectors obviously think otherwise.

More to do with his linking up with his Cowboys teammates.

Still going for QLD but pissed off that they dropped Slater. Big mistake I reckon.

camsmith

Juniors
UndertakerMike said:
More to do with his linking up with his Cowboys teammates.

Still going for QLD but pissed off that they dropped Slater. Big mistake I reckon.

Ofcourse its a big mistake, the fact the NSW are happy now they dont have to plan for Billy to be playing tells even the most stupid person that dropping billy was the wrong thing to do.

(Dropping to the wing is fine... but not out of the whole team!)

simostorm

Bench
This is a good kick up the butt for Billy,
now after the shock, they might add Billy to the 17 as tba
so he performs up to scratch.

Dazzat

First Grade
Why do Queensland need three lock forwards - Harrison, Flannery and Carroll (or Norton). Seems they are trying to copy NSW who have picked backrowers instead of front rowers.

Nate Myles is the man ... reminds of a less intimidating version of Gordon Tallis. Can play back row or front, damaging runner and has some speed.

Yeah a rookie ... but so was Carl Webb when he scored that try at Lang Park three or four years ago. So was Thurston when he won MOM in the first game. Means nothing.

Agree about Justin Hodges and Steven Bell ... both far better players than Bowman. Making 40 tackles in a match seems to put you on the selectors good side.

mickdo

Coach
Dazzat said:
Yeah a rookie ... but so was Carl Webb when he scored that try at Lang Park three or four years ago. So was Thurston when he won MOM in the first game. Means nothing.
Means everything. Name all the rookies who have performed well in a deciding third game. I'll bet you the list is short, if not empty.

Meanie

Juniors
mickdo said:
Means everything. Name all the rookies who have performed well in a deciding third game. I'll bet you the list is short, if not empty.

Trends were made to be broken.

Kiwi

First Grade
Dazzat said:
Why do Queensland need three lock forwards - Harrison, Flannery and Carroll (or Norton). Seems they are trying to copy NSW who have picked backrowers instead of front rowers.

Why do NSW need 3 back rowers on the bench?

And last Time I checked, Ben Ross is a front rower and on the QLD bench, giving the maroons 1 more front rower than the blues.

Pistol

Coach
I like the selection of Bowen at fullback. HE offers a different style of attack to Slater, playing like a second 5/8 or half. He has a pretty good kicking game. He set up a few tries last year in the semi v the Dogs and has set up a few this year.

But Slater getting axed is a big blow to him. He didnt deserve to be dropped but he wouldnt have been as effective off the bench. Centre would have been the only other option as he dislikes playing on the wing

camsmith

Juniors
dislikes playing on the wing... but he scored imo the best origin try in history on the wing so im sure he'd take it.

Latest posts