What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QLD Team Game Three

Special K

Coach
aqua_duck said:
My prediction for Nutley next wednesday night

hit ups:22
metres gained:85

He's a hard working player but he epitomises the phrase "quantity over quality"

Against the roosters

hit ups : 17
metres : 126 - the 2nd highest metres gained in the game by a forward (Morley only made 116 from 16..)
tackles : 31

in 65 minutes with a cork and bad groin. Hardly quantity over quality. Nutley goes hard for as long as he is on the field for and lifts those around him. He is built for origin. He'll get belted early but won't stop and will make big yards in the back ends of the game.

Alan Shore

First Grade
Josh Perry could make 100 hitups aqua duck and he'd be lucky to go 100m.

BTW Carlaw is very mediocre and should never have been selected Game II.

Bowen is nothing under the highball, even in the conditions of last weekends game in canberra, he had a shocker, don't be suprised if johns and anasta pepper him all night

Pistol

Coach
Bowen is a livewire. There is no way he would have been left out of the side. He wasnt picked for his defence. He was picked for his attack.

aqua_duck

Coach
Tamazoid said:
Josh Perry could make 100 hitups aqua duck and he'd be lucky to go 100m.

BTW Carlaw is very mediocre and should never have been selected Game II.
Since when was Josh Perry in qld origin contention? BTW Perry makes good hit ups but he just doesn't make many hit ups period.

oxenham

Juniors
VictorTheViking said:
Thats an abysmal call on Slater for Bowen, bowen played like absolute sh*t on the weekend, although he might have scored twice, Slater did nothing wrong to be dropped, what a load of crap

What he said. I would have kept Bowen in the side but not in place of Slater.

Ghoulies

Bench
VictorTheViking said:
Bowen is nothing under the highball, even in the conditions of last weekends game in canberra, he had a shocker, don't be suprised if johns and anasta pepper him all night
And Slater is a better option? Slater pretty much dropped every bomb directed at him in Origin 2.

Azkatro

First Grade
I reckon it had to be done. It's all up to the forward pack now - they have to keep going forward and keep our ruck bloody nice and tight. Picking Bowen at FB will mean a few important things for QLD:

- Smith can stay on the field for 80min, which is crucial for us in the ruck
- Bowen isn't stifled by stints at hooker, a role which he simply isn't suited to
- We have three main points of attack - Lockyer, Thurston and Bowen will all be up in attack. Very hard for the Blues to spot three players
- Not only does Bowen get a bit more space in front of him, he also gets 80min

Possible negatives

- If J.Smith shows up in the TBA position and comes on to replace the lock, we've got four playmakers on the field - too many cooks might spoil the broth
- Bowen will get targeted with high kicks against some pretty tall blokes

I think NSW' defense in close going is pretty solid, so we'll need to try and outfox their backs. They're bigger than us, so they'll be slow to turn around. Grubber kicks close the line will be probably a good option. The only hard thing about that is managing to catch Minichiello out of position!

Broncodroid

Juniors
Hurriflatch said:
XXXX QUEENSLAND MAROONS

1. Matt Bowen North QLD Cowboys
2. Ty Williams North QLD Cowboys
3. Shaun Berrigan Brisbane Bronocs
4. Paul Bowman North QLD Cowboys
5. Matt Sing North QLD Cowboys
6. Darren Lockyer © Brisbane Broncos
7. Johnathan Thurston North QLD Cowboys
8. Danny Nutley Cronulla Sharks
9. Cameron Smith Melbourne Storm
10. Petero Civoniceva Brisbane Broncos
11. Michael Crocker Sydney Roosters
12. Brad Thorn Brisbane Broncos
13. Chris Flannery Sydney Roosters

14. Ben Ross Penrith Panthers
15. Corey Parker Brisbane Broncos
16. Ashley Harrison South Sydney Rabbitohs
17. TBA

Coach: Michael Hagan

Well, surprise, surprise says QLD selectors...Billy Slater dumped from the decider. A tough, tough call though I am happy to have Bowen on the field for 80 minutes as he is the best attacking weapon in the game IMO.

The rest of the side I am happy with though I would prefer Ash Harrison starting for Chris Flannery to be honest, great to see that Danny Nutley FINALLY get's his reward for his consistency. HE WILL COME UP HUGE IN THIS GAME and leave selectors wondering why the doubted him for Game 2.

Hmm...T.B.A. Interesting to say the least.

Tony Carroll is the obvious one there, though in saying that, the bench is 3 forwards heavy now...a utility? A bolter from the blue in which selectors are shielding him from unwanted media attention?

Interesting days ahead, very happy with the side chosen.

Bman

Juniors
a few things i noticed in this thread, people say bowen makes less errors and is marginally better in defence. He has made more errors this season and missed more tackles. few people mention steven bell, bowman has done nothing in recent weeks to remotely warrant selection for cowboys over hannay let alone for queensland. and watch for bowen to be targetted by fitzgibbon, hindmarsh and kennedy like they did to slater, however bowen is smaller and weighs less will get hit harder.

brooksy19

Bench
Harrison could be the utility, he could slot into lock,2nd row, hooker, 5/8 or the centre if required.

Pistol

Coach
Hindmarsh is almost certainly going to be suspended for a tackle on Morley. Even if he takes the early guilty plea, he is still gone.

Broncodroid

Juniors
Agreed Pistol...IF he (Hindmarsh) escapes, there is just one more example as to why the NRL judiciary is in need for a complete overhaul in the off-season.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
PJ Marsh should be number 17. He plays off the bench so he'd have played less than Norton or Carroll, and he's the zippy little impact player that can tackle that QLD said they were after. But as a Parra/Blues supporter, I don't mind if they leave him out :).

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Broncodroid said:
Agreed Pistol...IF he (Hindmarsh) escapes, there is just one more example as to why the NRL judiciary is in need for a complete overhaul in the off-season.

If Shane Dunley can get off after spitting on someone, then there is no reason Hindy won't get out of his charge. The judiciary is a joke so I wouldn't be shocked to see him fight and win.

Bomber

Bench
Don't know if that has been mentioned (apologies if so) but Channel Seven in Qld have the Queensland selectors on record as saying that the TBA spot will be fought out between three players:

- Tonie Carroll
- Travis Norton
- Nate Myles

Kiwi

First Grade
Bullrider said:
Yeah not a bad team. Better then last times one. TBA i wonder who they have two props and an verstatile player in Harrison on the bench so who will it be. Who is pending charges from the weekend?

They could easily slot another forward on that bench.

Harrison will bring strike power and ball skills from the bench. If a back gets injured Flannery will slot into the backs to cover, and Harrison to 13. Parker is a second rower who can play prop if needed.

Adding someone like Carroll or even getting J Smith to return would be a plus.

Bulldog Power

Juniors
nate myles has played half a game since coming back from injury

he has only started for the dogs once or twice
I seriously doubt he will play