What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QRL calls for Titans financial inquiry

Coaster

Bench
I cant help think all these things are linked.

But i do not think its is just a money issue, it is a power issue

You have Ross Livermore now having a shot at Searle, the guy has been outspoken against the Independent Commission, and stands to lose his gravy train if it goes ahead.

Key among our concerns is the ARL has agreed to a code restructure, which gives one vote each to the NSWRL and the QRL, providing them same membership rights as each of the 16 NRL clubs and the eight commissioners.

This decision effectively means that the ARL is prepared to walk away from its 50 percent stake in the game for a share equal to less than 8 percent (the NSWRL and QRL being 2 of 26 members), while handing the NRL clubs more than 60 percent control (16 of 26 members).
Ross Livermore - Managing Director
http://www.qrl.com.au/

"I think there is pretty much universal support for the idea of having an independent, non-profit body in charge of the game. It is the only way forward," Searle said. "You only have to look at some of the issues the game has had to deal with in recent weeks to realise how much better things could be handled with one authoritative voice."

Searle will today present his fellow chief executives with a detailed list of the enormous cost reductions of having a singular governing body.

Searle predicts the removal of several boards and the reallocation of funds would see an immediate injection of $10.1m, with the possibility savings could be as high as $12m.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news

To me it seems Ross is pissed off, and is having a pathetic attempt at Searle following the Builder drama. FFS are we really talking about 25k? i could pay off that debt today if thats the issue.

Loudstrat

Coach
That's one way of looking at it - possibly the right one. The QRL - for all it's anti Bronco-ness - never lifted a finger to help the other GC sides or the Crushers.

I hope that's what it is, and the Titans are OK.

If it's not, the NRL simply need to bail them out. It's not as if they had a News Ltd sugar daddy like Melbourne who couldn't be bothered to set themselves up. At least the Titans have had a real dig - and got the QLD govt to build a decent stadium up there as well.

The point is you rambling lunatic that Searle reckons he can dictate the terms of the future of RL in Australia but can't seem to run a functional NRL club. Even Cronulla aren't making the news for this kind of financial mismanagement.

cronulla are just making the news for screwing it up for the past few decades. Their circumstances are a little different.

you are the lunatic, and ravings do not negate wit or intelligence. You are so anti IC that sometimes I think you are old Jonny boy himself....went to norths once, and it sucked.....but the people robbing themselves at the pokies were too drunk and gamble-eyed to notice, so good for you

starting an nrl club is not easy, especially one that is trying to reach as lofty heights as the titans are...

searle is not out there dictating terms, you need to realign your perceptions. hmmmm, seek help.

the titans have not mismanaged their funds. at the end of the day everyone would like more money but that is not always possible.

they are not dead yet you idiot, so lay off them.

That's one way of looking at it - possibly the right one. The QRL - for all it's anti Bronco-ness - never lifted a finger to help the other GC sides or the Crushers.

I hope that's what it is, and the Titans are OK.

If it's not, the NRL simply need to bail them out. It's not as if they had a News Ltd sugar daddy like Melbourne who couldn't be bothered to set themselves up. At least the Titans have had a real dig - and got the QLD govt to build a decent stadium up there as well.

spot on, and you know what, other people on here are real tools.

The titans are as good as safe. If worse comes to worst, then it should be no problem to bail them out of their temporary cash flow problem.

I cannot see the qld govt setting out to put the final nail in the coffin of a widely supported community-loved team. Real good for votes, ain't it - and you'd be hard pressed to find too many people to begrudge a leniency on such a thing....I for one will gladly give up those tax dollars for now, and so would 98% of others. You miserable f**ks!

The qrl hate everything nrl related. I firmly beleive that they eventually want to grow a strong comp and THEN bring in one lone sydney team....thats right, they are sick f**kers at qrl hq over at Milton, and ribot is a slobbering k9.

The qrl does not do favours for nrl clubs. It used to be different years ago with the crushers, etc, they just plain mucked it all up, weren't in the zone with timing, etc.

Ray Mosters

Juniors
do you know how hard it is to manage a 22 million dollar project? it gets even harder when you are dealing with shady builders, it rains, people dont do their job, and you also have a club to run....
Its not that hard if you get the right people for the job, people who know what they are doing.

To be honest if Searle is finding "managing a 22 million dollar project" that difficult he shouldn't be doing it. As for dealing with shady builders... well if they arent shady and he just hasnt been paying them, then its his fault. If they are shady then ultimately it was Searle who brought them onto the project in the first place, and he bears responsibility for that too.
the titans have not mismanaged their funds. at the end of the day everyone would like more money but that is not always possible.
Are you on crack? The only thing that we know from the outside is that the Titans have mismanaged their funds. You don't get creditors big and small, government and private coming out of the woodwork to bag them off for non-payment if you pay your bills on time and have well-managed cash flow. You dont face a single lawsuit, let alone multiple at once. You don't get denied loans from banks and you dont need to go to the NRL for advances on future payments.

To be honest, if i was a board member at the Titans I would be looking for Searle's replacement right now. Christ the Centre of Excellence shamozzle is enough to think the guy cant be trusted with running things, let alone the unpaid taxes and seemingly no ability to manage cash flow effectively.

Do they have any how much they have to pay, or when?

There are plenty of capable business men around who can helm a ship like the Titans. Their fundamentals are strong and they should be one of the easiest clubs in the NRL to run. Christ what Cronulla would give for their kind of popularity.

Searle perhaps should "step down to take a role at NRL headquarters, working on the IC", because im not sure we can afford the Titans to be so poorly run.

elbusto

Coach
The fact the QRL has asked for the enquiry matched up with Searle's desire for the Independent Commission is, perhaps, not unrelated .......

The fact the Titans are delinquent in paying development fees is further evidence that clubs can't have power over the grassroots of the game. They are not the only club to have failed to pay these fees in recent times, yet we hear people arguing that NRL clubs will only do the right thing by the grassroots because they have to. Their negligent attitude towards paying development fees suggests otherwise.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
UOTE=Parra;6711014]Ghosts of CEO's past.

Tour de France anyone?[/QUOTE]

Ken Oath. They were dark years. Just like they are today.

seanoff

Juniors
lol

we are not talking about balancing the average wage or budget here, pal. whats that, $1000 per week.....which comes down to spend some on ciggies and beer, pay your car and rent/house, foxtel, chuck the rest in the bank because electricity and internet and phone are coming in, plus the shower door needs repairing but hey! dont forget to put aside 200 bucks to go clubbing with ---- and oh sh*t!!!! none left to save for retirement except compulsory super (good luck).----ooops guess I should have paid myself first before my own grubby mits got ahold of all that moolah...

its not that straightforward. And Searle is not the only person involved in all this - do you think he does it all by himself, including being receptionist!!!!

do you know how hard it is to manage a 22 million dollar project? it gets even harder when you are dealing with shady builders, it rains, people dont do their job, and you also have a club to run....

And I am not excusing any of it, I am just pointing out that some people think its all so easy and the titans should be rolling in it.

they obviously dont have any money right now, but its hardly insolvency territory it would seem. they are worth 50 million+...

money matter are more complex than do you have 5000 cash to pay someone back, oh no you dont, sorry! time to stop trading altogether!!

Its not time to push the panic button just yet.

If he cannot do what in reality is pretty straightforward stuff he shouldn't be in that job.

construction isn't that hard as a CEO. all he has to do is overview the progress and make some minor decisions on what should be minor changes to the project. If the changes are anything other than minor, he has failed in his job. He should not be attempting to project manage. If he thinks he has to, he has failed.

If he can't make sure the bills are paid on time, he's failed. doesn't matter how much, but he needs to manage his staff better so it doesn't happen.

he gets paid huge dollars to manage, he appears to be failing at that. if he wants to play god in the NRL, well he can do that but not as CEO of the Titans. if he wants to be a groupie, that's nice but not as CEO.

m0nty

Juniors
The naked political agenda here is remarkable. Livermore and Searle have been butting heads over the IC, so Livermore chooses his moment when Searle is overseas to fit him up with a nothing story over bad debts of chicken feed amounts. Seriously, $25k? It's a joke. This story should be given no credibility at all.

I'm surprised it got a run in a News Ltd paper, actually.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
The point is you rambling lunatic that Searle reckons he can dictate the terms of the future of RL in Australia but can't seem to run a functional NRL club. Even Cronulla aren't making the news for this kind of financial mismanagement.

Nicely summed up.

Pubes is just an apologist for all things Searle.

I would have thought running a new NRL club and building the mighty "Centre of Excellence" would be hard enough. But now Searle is managing surfers PLUS being the golden boy for the IC.

Maybe he should also be a rep for Amway.

The_Savage_1

Juniors
here's some other cases where they are being sued for money owing...

http://www.ecourts.courts.qld.gov.a...leNumber=915/10&Court=District&Location=BRISB

this one is in the district court which means between 50-250k

http://www.ecourts.courts.qld.gov.a...leNumber=2921/10&Court=Supreme&Location=BRISB

this one's supreme court which is 250k plus

http://www.ecourts.courts.qld.gov.a...leNumber=2864/10&Court=Supreme&Location=BRISB

another supreme court matter

unfortunately you cant search the magistrates court (< 50k) records online

Coaster

Bench
here's some other cases where they are being sued for money owing...

http://www.ecourts.courts.qld.gov.a...leNumber=915/10&Court=District&Location=BRISB

this one is in the district court which means between 50-250k

http://www.ecourts.courts.qld.gov.a...leNumber=2921/10&Court=Supreme&Location=BRISB

this one's supreme court which is 250k plus

http://www.ecourts.courts.qld.gov.a...leNumber=2864/10&Court=Supreme&Location=BRISB

another supreme court matter

unfortunately you cant search the magistrates court (< 50k) records online

All 3 of those court cases are from the Simcorp case.
2864/10 CLIPSTAR PTY LTD -V- SIMCORP DEVELOPMENTS AND CONSTRUCTIONS PTY LTD & others
2921/10 TRUTEMP AIRCONDITIONING PTY LTD -V- SIMCORP DEVELOPMENTS & CONSTRUCTIONS PTY LTD & another
915/10 LOWLINE PTY LTD -V- SIMCORP DEVELOPMENTS & CONSTRUCTIONS PTY LTD & others

Alex28

Coach
There is some interesting stuff on Mark Geyer's twitter - and a link to a very interesting Stat Dec...

(I'm at work and can't link to it unfortunately)

Brutus

Referee

NRL profits have been the Storm's sugar daddy, not News LTD.

The_Savage_1

Juniors
All 3 of those court cases are from the Simcorp case.

i dont believe they are. in all three cases titans and simcorp are defendants and are being sued together by third parties.

these are the cases where simcorp is against the titans and vice versa...

http://www.courts.qld.gov.au/esearc...leNumber=6194/10&Court=Supreme&Location=BRISB

http://www.courts.qld.gov.au/esearc...leNumber=2807/10&Court=Supreme&Location=BRISB

http://www.courts.qld.gov.au/esearc...leNumber=1163/10&Court=Supreme&Location=BRISB

plus there was one that was decided at adjudication pursuant to BCIPA which i posted in another thread...

http://xweb.bcipa.qld.gov.au/ars_xweb/Pages/PDFViewer.aspx?APP_NO=1057877_1453&SEQ_NO=1

Latest posts