What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

quade cooper

Brutus

Referee
now he's done everything he can with the QLD reds now.....he's gonna play for australia in the RUWC in a few months time......he's likely to have fufilled most of his career ambitions in union by the age of 23...

That's usually the excuse from league players or their manager when contemplating a change of code.

I remember laughing when Gasnier used the old "I've achieved everything in RL" line before moving to union. He hadn't even won a GF at the time.

Good to see the shoe on the other foot for a change.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
No matter how well Quade Cooper has played for his union side, or as good as we think he may be, I do not want to see an NRL club get into a bidding war for the guy. Nor would I want to see the NRL come in to 'top-up' the contract of a union convert.

I can foresee it ending in tears for any club involved. The risks for paying the dollars he would want are extremely high. Not to mention the fact he has the 'me me' approach of other certain high profile sports stars that have fritted about the sporting stage in recent times.

Those tactics are reserved for the other codes. It hasn't exactly been successful for them in the long term as it's turned out. We as a game do not need to resort to cheap publicity stunts, as tempting as it may seem.

mikail-eagle

Bench
Loved the accents in the post-match interviews with players:

Quade Cooper; Kiwi playing for Australia and Queensland.

Brad Thorn; Aussie playing for New Zealand and Cantebury.

Cute.

And Will Genia, PNG boy playing for Reds and Australia.....He makes Cooper look good most times I've seen them play together.......Would be good for the Kumuls if he comes over to League one day..

Canard

Immortal
That its even being touted, shows how far Union has fallen in the last 4 years or so.

I remember back a bit, I had to confiscate sharp objects from fellow fans as Sailor, Tuquiri et al where going to be the start of a massive flood.

Shorty

Staff member
I think it's amusing the fact that the Reds are labeled an 'entertaining' brand of Union is actually not a brand but appears to be RL like.
That's why Cooper is getting the attention.

Shiznit, sorry to be an arrogant Aussie but if he's coming to League...he'll be coming to play SOO.

Bucket

Bench
DQ, the rule should apply to every club, your highest paid player is allowed to be cap exempt.....the idea has been floated many times...probably will never happen though

Perth Red

Post Whore
:lol: That is beyond ridiculous.

There is no way fifteeen NRL clubs would allow one other club to gain the advantage of having a player paid outside the salary cap.

whoooosh!
Yep everyclub is allowed to sign one player for however much they want to pay for him. in fact I'd make it 3 players. There's not that many high profile RU players in the world that would value add to the NRL profile but would be nice to get some of the talented backs in the NRL, especially if we are picking the carcass of the ARU in the process!

BDGS

Bench
That its even being touted, shows how far Union has fallen in the last 4 years or so.

I remember back a bit, I had to confiscate sharp objects from fellow fans as Sailor, Tuquiri et al where going to be the start of a massive flood.

Yes, just like there is going to be a hte flood of Rugby League players to the AFL from now until forever. Haha.

Latest posts