What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Queen + Adam Lambert 2014 Australian tour

Nuke

Staff member
Queen are touring Australia this month for the first time in 29yrs. I know there are a number of Queen fans here in this forum ... so who here is going?

I checked the tickets a few days ago, and all Australian concerts are sold out - even the $700 tickets!

Friday 22nd August 2014 - Perth Arena
Tuesday 26th August 2014 - Allphones Arena, Sydney
Wednesday 27th August 2014 - Allphones Arena, Sydney
Friday 29th August 2014 - Rod Laver Arena, Melbourne
Saturday 30th August 2014 - Rod Laver Arena, Melbourne
Monday 1st September 2014 - Brisbane Entertainment Centre

I went overseas for the first time in July 2012 to London just to see Queen + Adam Lambert (twice!) at the Hammersmith Apollo ... and it was the best thing I've ever done. I'd wanted to see Queen live for about 17yrs, and it didn't disappoint. Ever since I was a kid, I'd said to myself if they ever came to Australia I'd try to go to all their concerts. I'm happy to say I'm going to all these ones this year! If you're going, I might see you there!

Eddie Lab

Juniors
I love Queen but I believe this tour is also minus John Deacon. so really it's Brian May, Roger Taylor and Adam Lambert touring. would have loved to have seen Queen but the group that is touring isn't the real Queen.

nöyd

Staff member
Deacon has only performed a handful of times since Freddie died.

thorson1987

Coach
Surely they could have got one of the myriad of Freddie impersonators instead of Lambert to front the band.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Lambert is an unbelievable vocalist. Charismatic, too.

I realise he has the stigma of American Idol, which a lot of people won't overlook, but if you judge him on his talent he's a good fit for Queen and a better choice than any impersonator.

Eddie Lab

Juniors
Deacon has only performed a handful of times since Freddie died.

I know. again I loved Queen and Brian and Roger are fantastic. They did a huge job at the Olympics and Brian IMO is one of the best guitarists ever.

just don't think it's right to call it Queen when they are down to 50% of the original band.

roofromoz

First Grade
Queen are my number 1 favourite band... but no. Not the same without Freddie, and with no John Deacon I am not entirely sold on the idea that they should still perform under that name. But that's just my opinion. I'm sure it would still be a great show to attend, and if the three recorded a studio album, I would definitely buy it.

Nuke

Staff member
Ah, the 'it's not the real Queen without Freddie Mercury' thing. He's gone and is never coming back. Yes, John Deacon retired in 1997, but is always invited to partake in all things Brian May and Roger Taylor do as Queen. He just declines, preferring to remain out of the spotlight.

This Adam Lambert fella, I was hesitant to think he'd do a good job before I saw them together in 2012. After that first show, I was impressed. I am not a fan of his, as in I wouldn't buy any of his cds or pay to see him live, but as a singer in front of Queen, he goes alright. Like others, I perhaps would have preferred someone else (not a Freddie impersonator ... that's just wrong) but someone else who can do the songs justice. Adam does some things during the show that I'd prefer he didn't, but I have to say, he has a great voice.

Queen started when Brian May put up a notice seeking a drummer, and Roger Taylor got the job. Later, Freddie joined them and changed the group's name from Smile to Queen, then John Deacon joined. Then they became famous and wrote the greatest music the world has seen (in my humblest of opinions!). Freddie died, John retired. Brian and Roger remain, and in my opinion, have every right to continue to use the Queen name. How much recognition do you think they'd get if they toured as Smile again? Or as 'Brian May & Roger Taylor'? Not much.

Musically, those two are still awesome and are on top of their game. To be honest, I've always been more of a Brian May fan than a Freddie Mercury fan, so to see him live on stage, right there in the same room as me ... it's something else, I can tell you!

The chance to be there, clap along with 'Radio Ga Ga', sing along with 'Love Of My Life' and rock out to 'We Will Rock You', 'Tie Your Mother Down', 'Bohemian Rhapsody', ect, with the actual guys from Queen, it's just something no Queen fan should miss.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm going. I don't care if they should be called Queen or not, its just a name. I go for the music and I love the music they created. Brian & Roger are still able to recreate that, and thats all that matters to me.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Maybe they should be touring under the name of "Princess"....you know....just not quite a "Queen".

Seriously, I've never been a fan of Queen but I'm always doubtful when the iconic vocalist of a band passes away and is replaced.

Look at the debacle INXS became after the demise of Michael Hutchence. Jon Stevens and JD Fortune just weren't up to it. And I still can't accept Brian Johnson being AC/DC's vocalist when compared to Bon Scott, regardless of their mega success.

Nuke

Staff member
I'm going. I don't care if they should be called Queen or not, its just a name. I go for the music and I love the music they created. Brian & Roger are still able to recreate that, and thats all that matters to me.

Bingo. And trust me, they still kick arse.
See you there!

snoozer

Bench
i wish i could get to the gigs. saw them in sydney in the 80's at the ent cent, i still measure every gig i go to by that show - f**king awesome. saw brian may when he toured solo in the early 2000's. was good but not great.

as far as adam lambett is concerned, couldnt care less who they had up front, he'll never be freddie.

nöyd

Staff member
I couldn't care less who sings for what band, my gripe is that ticket prices are not amended accordingly.

nöyd

Staff member
What's pink and fluffy and hasn't moved since 1991?

Freddie Mercury's slippers

Nuke

Staff member
i wish i could get to the gigs. saw them in sydney in the 80's at the ent cent, i still measure every gig i go to by that show - f**king awesome. saw brian may when he toured solo in the early 2000's. was good but not great.

as far as adam lambett is concerned, couldnt care less who they had up front, he'll never be freddie.

1998. His 'Another World' tour. I was 6 months too young to be allowed into the venue he played here in Perth. Sucks being an honest person sometimes!!