What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Queensland at it's best

Joker's Wild

Coach
While i agree that her saying "qlders" could exclude some peope in your eyes its also fair to say you overreacted Loudy, theres no shame in admitting that

Last edited:

_Johnsy

Referee
That's the thing PR. It's not an us v them thing. There are a lot of non Queenslanders doing it tough up there as well, and these people need the rallying call as well.

Bligh has been phenomenal - the woman must be exhausted, and when the emotion spills out one realises the effort she has made to reign it in. These people are used to speech writers of the calibre of Don Watson or Alan Jones, so speaking off the cuff is something they are not so rehearsed at.

I think anyone launching an attack over this issue is missing the point of her call. I also believe those that read the ambiguity in her speech as singling out Queenslanders as better or tougher probably also needed the rallying call, but felt excluded by it. After all, this is not exclusively Queensland's own problem, its far wider than that. Me and my family were only a few of the tens of thousands of non Queenslanders caught up in it too. We were stranded in a small town with rapidly dwindling supplies for 5 days, and everyone around us were absolutely fantastic. That was the catalyst for this thread.

Those who want to make those sentiments into a bitchfight, or who intend to trivialise what some raw emotioned non Queenslanders may have felt from the unintentional ambiguity of Blighs speech need a very long and very thorough look at themselves, because the value that the countries intellectual capital that is contributed by you is hardly worth the waste of oxygen.

:(

There has only been one person differebntiating between QLD & non QLD, you.

Having knowledge of how the people of SE QLD, Nth QLD & Nthn NSW are and have been dealing with this there has not been one sentiment of wht you allude to. The Premier chose to use QLD in her speech in a particular area (to galvanise) her state (majority are QLD'ers) however at most other points she uses Australians. She will use the phrase QLD'er again. WHY ? Now it will be to her political advantage, she is fighting for her political life.

I clearly understand the point you are making, but truly believe you are well wide of the mark, and do not represent the majority of non QLD'ers affected by this tragedy.

Loudstrat

Coach
There have been plenty making that distinction guys. Here and elsewhere. Even you guys are picking it up - the same as I did ironically, as an unintentional faux pas by someone under immense duress.

And those that do are not getting as upset about it as others are. They are the ones who overreacted.

babyg

Juniors
First time back on this site since the floods. Travelled an hour to Goodna on the other side of town to help with the clean up as did thousands of others. This thread has been a laugh. My mate is married to a lady from New Orleans and they said this kind of community spirit definitely didn't happen there.

A couple of things of note. Vic Bushfires relief raised $400mil, these floods are only at $85mill.

_Johnsy

Referee
I am surprised how little is made of the Australian spirit. I know there are more than 400 people from Nthn NSW that have been in Brissy for at least 3 days, literally shovelling shyte.

Lets be clear, we are Aussies, our spirit & determination shown clearly sets us apart.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Been plenty in press here in Brissy about about folk coming from far and wide to help.

Loudtwat, just couldn't wait to get out.

Latest posts