What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Queensland Dolphins

docbrown

Coach
I encourage all Dolphins fans to call the team the Queensland Dolphins until management is smart enough to adopt that moniker officially.

It's not unprecedented to have a state name or state nickname as a geographic moniker even though the team is in a competition where there are other teams in that state. Examples include Florida Panthers, Golden State Warriors and Texas Rangers in the USA major sports leagues, all of whom have opposing teams in their states.

Colk

First Grade
World or Galaxy Dolphins. They really should be playing a game on one of the other planets by 2025.

thenrlphinsider

Juniors
I encourage all Dolphins fans to call the team the Queensland Dolphins until management is smart enough to adopt that moniker officially.

It's not unprecedented to have a state name or state nickname as a geographic moniker even though the team is in a competition where there are other teams in that state. Examples include Florida Panthers, Golden State Warriors and Texas Rangers in the USA major sports leagues, all of whom have opposing teams in their states.
I am fine with how it is today and believe in the vision the club has for the Dolphins.

To each their own.

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach
You’re thinking too small. Australia Dolphins opens up their catchment area.
You live in a state where there are two AFL teams yet one still claims the entire West Coast of Australia. That same West Coast moniker is also in your avatar.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You live in a state where there are two AFL teams yet one still claims the entire West Coast of Australia. That same West Coast moniker is also in your avatar.
err the entire West Coast of Australia is in our State lol And the team that claimed it was the first club here, is by far the biggest club and does have its fanbase right across the state. A little bit different to the Dolphins me thinks.

docbrown

Coach
err the entire West Coast of Australia is in our State lol And the team that claimed it was the first club here, is by far the biggest club and does have its fanbase right across the state. A little bit different to the Dolphins me thinks.
Being first is barely a factor. Houston started in 1962 and became the Astros in 1965. The Rangers brand was created after in 1971 and still claimed the whole of Texas. The Warriors moved to San Fransisco in 71 and claimed the whole of California 11 years after the Lakers moved to LA.

MugaB

Coach
Being first is barely a factor. Houston started in 1962 and became the Astros in 1965. The Rangers brand was created after in 1971 and still claimed the whole of Texas. The Warriors moved to San Fransisco in 71 and claimed the whole of California 11 years after the Lakers moved to LA.
So does that mean were are heading dwn the road of "THE Sunshine State Dolphins"

docbrown

Coach
So does that mean were are heading dwn the road of "THE Sunshine State Dolphins"
In my book anything is better than the 'The'...

Sunshine State Dolphins is one I've considered and is workable in the vein of Golden State Warriors. I'd be keen to see market testing on it - wouldn't surprise me if it was very attractive for females and young children but it's also very cutesy-pie.

MugaB

Coach
In my book anything is better than the 'The'...

Sunshine State Dolphins is one I've considered and is workable in the vein of Golden State Warriors. I'd be keen to see market testing on it - wouldn't surprise me if it was very attractive for females and young children but it's also very cutesy-pie.
They already bought the name some time ago
Screenshot_20210512-160616_Samsung_Internet(1).jpgimages.jpeg-71(1).jpg

Moreton Bay is an attractive weekend destination for people in Brisbane who like to fish, swim and ski. The Southern Moreton Bay Islands are popular destinations. If they use the name Moreton Bay Dolphins they can cash in on this and possibly draw sponsors from the region.

Gobsmacked

Bench
Honestly I think " the Dolphins" is perfect! How many people are from interstate? How many kiwis? Islanders ect? They now live in Queensland... they're never going to call themselves Queenslanders or associate themselves with Brisbane, Sunshine Coast, or Rockhampton as their place in the same way that people do when they grow up in a place.

South-east Queensland has a very high migration rate and I believe it's going to feel more natural to those people to follow the Dolphins.
Say what you want but I think they've got this one right.

docbrown

Coach
Honestly I think " the Dolphins" is perfect! How many people are from interstate? How many kiwis? Islanders ect? They now live in Queensland... they're never going to call themselves Queenslanders or associate themselves with Brisbane, Sunshine Coast, or Rockhampton as their place in the same way that people do when they grow up in a place.

South-east Queensland has a very high migration rate and I believe it's going to feel more natural to those people to follow the Dolphins.
Say what you want but I think they've got this one right.
If that's the argument then calling themselves the Sunshine State Dolphins does similar without the awkward 'THE'.

Latest posts