What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Queensland Rugby League books

mightybears

Bench

dhurga

Juniors
There is a lady in Townsville called Midge Jackson. she has recently written a book on the beginnings of the Cowboys and the history of RL in Townsville. She and her husband Dan are long time QRL supporters and workers ... she would be the lady to contact as I am sure she has references for her book.

DIEHARD

----
I just got back from the Bookfest, a regular fixture of my calender, but I totally forgot about it until mightybears reminded me, thanks for that!

This is my Rugby League related haul...

UP 'N' UNDER - By John Bentley (British RL related)
Rugby League Year Book 1992-93 - By David Middleton (Already had it though.)
The Enclyopedia of RL Players - By Alan Whiticker and Glen Hudson
Rugby League Year Book 2002 - By David Middleton (Already had it though.)
ABC of RUGBY LEAGUE - By Malcolm Andrews
That's Rugby League - By Graham McNeice and Ian Collis
Winning Starts on Monday - By Jack Gibson
Played Strong, done fine - By Jack Gibson
The Natural (Brett Kenny) - By Neil Cadigan

On the way home I stopped at one other bookstore and picked up this...

Boshy and Me - By John Boshammer with Antonia Hildebrand

(The Story of Kev Boshammer and the golden era of Bulimba Cup football.)

Wasn't there a Queensland RL book in developement a few seasons ago?

sh*t I'm missing the QLD CUP tele match!!

DIEHARD

----
I also got two videos.

TRUE GRIT - History of Origin 80-93
BIG LEAGUE VIDEO April 1993 (World Cup Final, WCC and Sevens, 92 GF.)

Sgt Schultz

Juniors
Norths had a book out in 83 to celebrate 50 years I think it was and they are underway updating it to the present.

I believe there is a Wests book on the go at the moment

Redcliffe done one for their 50 years it has a few mistakes here and there but it's ok. I believe there are plans to update it as well.

The Greatest Game Under the Sun History of Queensland Rugby League

Mud was writing a book but I believe it has stalled.

A book on the Foley Shield I'm not sure of the name

They are the only ones I know of

Diehard the Boshy and Me book would be an interesting read. Maybe you can do a book review for us

akdrob

Juniors
The best book I have is "The Greatest Game Under the Sun. The History of Rugby League in Queensland" by Max & Reet Howell. Published by Leon Bedington of Brisbane.

It is great comprehensive history of Queensland Rugby League from 1908 until 1988 (350 pages).

I also have a copy of "Lang Park. The First 36 Years".Published by Rugby League News through the QRL. It also has some interesting reading concerning RL in Queensland.

timmeah

Juniors
Wally Lewis' first book "King Wally" gives a good account of Rugby League of Brisbane Football in the 70's and 80's. I picked it up for the first time in over ten years and I enjoyed it in a different way than I did the first time I read it in the eighties. Instead of enjoying Wallys exploits I enjoyed reading about the numerous characters that was involved with league in the community back then. I totally forgot how entrenched league was in Brisbane. It really highlights how league is probably not as entrenched in Brisbane today as it was then. The book I find will better with age because of this fact. It's much better than Mal's book who only devotes one chapter to his long career in Brisbane.

zulu

Juniors
Sgt Schultz said:
Norths had a book out in 83 to celebrate 50 years I think it was and they are underway updating it to the present.

I've got that one. Bought it off Baxy at the Ekka.

Would love to get hold of an updated version. I must keep in touch with the club.

We really need a definitive book on the history of the BRL, complete with a massive poster of the 1980 premiers. :D

DIEHARD

----
timmeah said:
Wally Lewis' first book "King Wally" gives a good account of Rugby League of Brisbane Football in the 70's and 80's.

Yea I haven't read my copy for years, I dont even know where it is. I'll try and dig it up and read it again. I'll get more out of it now than I ever did last time I read it.

akdrob said:
The best book I have is "The Greatest Game Under the Sun. The History of Rugby League in Queensland" by Max & Reet Howell. Published by Leon Bedington of Brisbane.

It is great comprehensive history of Queensland Rugby League from 1908 until 1988 (350 pages).

My god that sounds fantastic.

Any idea where you can get it or if it might be republished?

zulu said:
We really need a definitive book on the history of the BRL

We really need that. Otherwise knowledge and respect will be lost as new generations of fans come forward thinking rugby league in Brisbane started in 1988.

Mud finish your book mate!

Latest posts