What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Queensland Side for 2010?

BDR

First Grade
Hunt was definitely my favourite Origin fullback in recent times, he never held anything back and I don't remember him making any errors. Slater always has that bit of unwarranted arrogance about him and will sometimes go for a riskier play than is needed. More fullbacks these days need to just catch the ball and launch themselves into the opposition like Hunt used to.

League Legend

Juniors
As I understand it his first senior game was for the Hibiscus Coast Raiders, which I can assure you is not in anyway shape or form part of Queensland.

How could that be if he went to High School in Queensland? Did he play first grade at 15???:crazy:

I believe he was with the Warriors until 2005. Then came to Australia via the Tigers in 2006.

Can't be.

He was playing Arrive Alive Cup on the Coast in 2005.

Under state of origin rules players are selected for the state in which they first played senior (or registered) rugby league at the minimum age of 16 years. Players must also be eligible to represent Australia at international level.

Te'o played his first senior football at Keebra Park High in the Arrive Alive Cup 2005

Big Pete

Referee
When he was 18.

There are some claiming he played in New Zealand in 2003.

Te'o himself said he was allowed to choose between the two sides when he first made his debut in 2007. He chose Queensland and was allowed to feature for them.

hellteam

First Grade
I heard it was something to do with him playing for Samoa in the World Cup so it 'reset' his allegiance. Something stupid like that anyway.

icewind

Juniors
Hunt was definitely my favourite Origin fullback in recent times, he never held anything back and I don't remember him making any errors. Slater always has that bit of unwarranted arrogance about him and will sometimes go for a riskier play than is needed. More fullbacks these days need to just catch the ball and launch themselves into the opposition like Hunt used to.

Having Hunt at fullback always used to make me feel warm and fuzzy inside anytime a bomb was put up, i knew he would catch. Slater i half close my eyes and hope.

Dazzat

First Grade
On another note ... Cameron Smith trained with the team yesterday (Friday), but looked far from convincing with just passing the ball. As he racks up about 40 tackles a game (which puts a tad more strain on an elbow than passing), I'm betting Ballin will play.

I'm confident Ballin will do the job, but not sure of his kicking game. Does Ballin kick much for Manly?

hellteam

First Grade
Smith would be a massive massive loss I reckon, he's played in the last 20 Origin matches, not feeling confident if we don't have him.

GB!

Juniors
On another note ... Cameron Smith trained with the team yesterday (Friday), but looked far from convincing with just passing the ball. As he racks up about 40 tackles a game (which puts a tad more strain on an elbow than passing), I'm betting Ballin will play.

I'm confident Ballin will do the job, but not sure of his kicking game. Does Ballin kick much for Manly?

yeah he does a lot of kicking out of dummy half.
i think he's the only manly player in a couple of years to kick a 40/20 too!

as much as i think friend is built for origin, if cam smith doesn't play, matt ballin plays very similar to cam smith. so should not lose much skill wise between the two.

beads6

First Grade
Thought that would happen ... passing the ball is one thing, but racking up 40+ tackles with a buggered elbow just isn't going to work.

Another former Bronco into the team. That makes six, and only three current.

Mate, the Broncos are the NRL's junior development club.

BDH

Juniors
With Smith out of Game 1, the only saving grace is he should be fit and raring to go Game 2.

The obvious fear for us now is that our pack can't get a great roll on that Smith usually sparks.

I expect to see Ballin's role to be to do nothing fancy but simply feed his pigs the ball and then take a scoot or two in the back end of each half. Keep it simple and he can't do to much wrong.

However, that said, Ennis is going to really try and get under Ballin's skin. I know they will rarely be one on one, but Ennis will go out of his way to sledge/put any form of pressure on Ballin. I actually wouldn't mind seeing him go for an early run just to settle the nerves.

Also, this severely affects our kicking options, and the two hales will have to make sure that every 4th and 5th they are on separate sides of the ruck. I know we talking 2 of the best players in the NRL, but they both will need to dig that little bit deeper without Smith there.

Dazzat

First Grade
Also, this severely affects our kicking options, and the two hales will have to make sure that every 4th and 5th they are on separate sides of the ruck. I know we talking 2 of the best players in the NRL, but they both will need to dig that little bit deeper without Smith there.

According to Manly fans, Ballin kicks quite a bit out of dummy half.

For me, Ballin is a younger version of Smith ... much in the same mould.

I'm feeling confident he'll do the job. He's been included in previous Queensland camps, and has been prepared well for his debut. Go Matt!

Latest posts