What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Queensland - the TRUE MYTH

This thread proves alot for sure. Gould really pissed me off when he said we might as well have 3 Brisbane-based teams here. Yesterday, for example, proved why this is a farce. In a city of nearly 2,000,000 they only managed 27,000+. I wonder whether Gould really does know anything about the Game...

Sam I Am

Juniors
This thread proves alot for sure. Gould really pissed me off when he said we might as well have 3 Brisbane-based teams here. Yesterday, for example, proved why this is a farce. In a city of nearly 2,000,000 they only managed 27,000+. I wonder whether Gould really does know anything about the Game...

Parramatta embarrasses most of us when they post an 8000 crowd. Even one-eyed southerners.

t-ba

Post Whore
100% agreed. I have no yearning desire to see the Grand Final ever be moved away from sydney, because sydney is the home of Rugby League.

My problem is, Sydney has too many clubs. If sydney had 5 or so teams, they would get awesome crowds every week. which is what i want to see, not 9 clubs with only 1 or sometimes 2 getting crowds that come close to matching queenslands clubs.

Probably not. People are too strongly linked to their clubs. Basically, if Wests didn't fight their expulsion from the NSWRL back in the early 1980's, Arko and Quayle probably would have got the number down to 6 or so and this wouldn't be a problem today. Unfortunately, the national comp grew out of the traditional Sydney Comp and were stuck in a situation where people feel it's their right to have their club in the comp.

It'll take time, but attrition will eventually force a few clubs out and the rest will benefit in the long term as a new generation won't even remember the old clubs and go to the ones that have survived. This is a good 20-30 years away however.

hellteam

First Grade
I know Sydney is the home of rugby league. But I still want to see Brisbane get a grand final. Is that ok?

Sam I Am

Juniors
Probably not. People are too strongly linked to their clubs. Basically, if Wests didn't fight their expulsion from the NSWRL back in the early 1980's, Arko and Quayle probably would have got the number down to 6 or so and this wouldn't be a problem today. Unfortunately, the national comp grew out of the traditional Sydney Comp and were stuck in a situation where people feel it's their right to have their club in the comp.

In all truth, if Arko's plan in the early 1980s to develop a Super League containing a handful of Sydney super clubs had been successful we would not be in the situation that we are in today.

bobbis

Juniors
Hows this for stats?

Brisbane popn: 1945639 (ABS)
Average home crowds per game for all clubs: 2008 - 33426
That is - one person attending the game per 58.2 residents.

Sydney popn 4399722 (ABS)
Average home crowds per game for all clubs: 2008 - 139757
That is - one person attending the game per 31.4 residents.

This is proof that Sydneysides are almost TWICE AS LIKELY to attend NRL games as Brisbaneites. :lol:

Brisbane only hosts 12 games a year. Even including semi finals and rep games, they only host the same number of games as Melbourne.

If Brisbane is RL heartland, they need a triple bypass.

Onya Sydney! Propping up Rugby League for 101 years, and counting! :clap::clap:

So Sydney can support about 4 times as many teams as Brisbane on that evidence.

Given Sydney has 9 teams and Brisbane 1 team Sydney is overepresented by about 5 teams. So there's 2 possible conclusions to come to, cut 5 Sydney teams or add another Brisbane team.

Loudstrat

Coach
Add another Brisbane team. That way, you lot wont whinge when you discover that no other non Sydney team in the comp gets near Brisbane's crowds either.

And a second Brisbane team would give Brisbane an NRL game ever week, and hopefullt the chance for Brisbanites to support the game in the numbers per head of population that Sydney does.

t-ba

Post Whore
In all truth, if Arko's plan in the early 1980s to develop a Super League containing a handful of Sydney super clubs had been successful we would not be in the situation that we are in today.

And now that ship has sailed. Get it?

hellteam

First Grade
Add another Brisbane team. That way, you lot wont whinge when you discover that no other non Sydney team in the comp gets near Brisbane's crowds either.

And a second Brisbane team would give Brisbane an NRL game ever week, and hopefullt the chance for Brisbanites to support the game in the numbers per head of population that Sydney does.

Ok I'll just go do it now.

Why are you accusing us as if it's our fault and by our doing that we only have one team?

hellteam

First Grade
Yeah woops I said that wrong. By us I meant the QLD public. It's not our fault we only have 12 games to watch. Or one team in Brisbane

lockyrulz

Juniors
Ok I'll just go do it now.

Why are you accusing us as if it's our fault and by our doing that we only have one team?

LOL

That's nothing, it's also our fault that not enough people in Sydney support their clubs.

Poor ole misery aint the sharpest tool in the shed :lol:

Loudstrat

Coach
LOL

That's nothing, it's also our fault that not enough people in Sydney support their clubs.

Poor ole misery aint the sharpest tool in the shed :lol:
Except more people in Sydney support theur clubs than people in Brisbane support the Broncos.

57 of 58 Brisbaneites don't go to games. Pathetic!

Sam I Am

Juniors

It is either laughable, or very, very sad, that you continue to use the "per head of population" line after it has now being discredited. Didn't you understand the words the grown ups were using?

Sam I Am

Juniors
Except more people in Sydney support theur clubs than people in Brisbane support the Broncos.

57 of 58 Brisbaneites don't go to games. Pathetic!

Thanks for just demonstrating that your mathematics, possibly like yourself, have not left primary school.

In the first paragraph you have said "more people". In the second paragraph you have used the now discredited proportion. You don't understand the difference between a proportion and an absolute amount.

So to deal with the absolute amount from the first paragraph:

Name one club that is supported by "more people" than the Broncos. One.