What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Queensland's triumph a victory over the dirty rats of Origin

No need to for the reminder. Your bitterness and resentful jealousy comes pouring through with every post

........of course you're from NSW, you couldn't be from anywhere else.

Of course i am Jealous & bitter, my state has just lost 6 in a row; but as i stated previously, at least im not a "Queens-lan-da"

Also just thought i would post this article from the DT; because its relevant to the thread:

EVER wondered who sport's sorest winners are? Mal Meninga's childhish outburst puts him right up there with some of the dumbest displays the world has seen.

As a rugby league star, Mal Meninga had plenty of attributes - speed, size, skill and agresssion. As a State of Origin coach, he has a remarkable record.

But amazing grace is one thing that the big fella this week proved he lacks by spraying NSW officials and faceless men in a bizarre rant.

You would have thought the Maroons lost ... but no, the Queenslanders celebrated a record sixth series win in a row.

So it begs the question, where does Mal's embarrassing display rank alongside some of the sporting world's most memorable cases of foot-in-mouth disease.

Here's our top five.

1: Mal Meninga's ludicrous rant about ``rats and filth'' in the wake of his side's sixth series win in a row. Meninga not only embarrassed himself, but also his state. And his rantings take the gloss off the Origin retirement of Darren Lockyer, one of the game's greats. Big Mal's blow-up assures league fans of one thing though - that the Queenslander cannot be considered when they start talking about the game's next Immortal.

2. The English cricket team's carry on when they won the Ashes last summer was very far from gracious, and shows how far the ECB has strayed from its blueblood roots in search of success. Instead of celebrating their victory with the graciousness and humility you'd expect of Englishmen, the Poms did their version of the Sprinkler - a ridiculous dance that shouldn't be seen in daylight hours. Only the macarena would have been worse.

3. We've got another Queenslander at number three: Allan Langer who in 1993 led his Brisbane Broncos and some 2000 fans in the song `St George Can't Play' . Instead of celebrating a wonderful premiership win, Langer and his teammates decided to poke fun at the Dragons, a team they'd beaten in the same match 12 months prior. ``We were having a bit of fun and it came out. It's something you have regrets about but you can't take it back,'' Langer said some years later.

4. Now we love Stephanie Rice, but when she tweeted "Suck on that f..gots" after the Wallabies beat the Springboks last year she was forced into a tearful apology and sponsors ran a mile. Surprise, surprise.

5. As gifted an athlete as Anthony Mundine is, he is perhaps equally lacking in the graciousness stakes. Whether it's fighting bums, mock slitting his throat or saying that the US brought the September 11 attacks upon themselves. There is no one most Australians love seeing beaten as much - it's not hard to work out why.

Got any other suggestions? Add them to comments below
And now, thanks to Alpha magazine, we'll have a look at a few equally embarrassing performances from around the world.

Diego Maradona
Maradona would have the world believe football heavyweights Argentina breezed through qualification for the 2010 FIFA World Cup. Fact is, they scraped in with a win in their last match against tough nuts Uruguay away. Maradona then gloated, "To those who did not believe in us - and, ladies, forgive me - they can suck it, and keep on sucking it." No thanks, Diego. "You lot take it up the a... - if the ladies will pardon the expression," he added.

US Ryder Cup Team
The 1999 version of golf's USA v Europe showdown was a corker. It all came down to the match between American Justin Leonard and Spaniard Jose Maria Olazabal. When Leonard sank a monster putt on the 17th, the Americans celebrated wildly on the green, complete with fans and wives.
But the match wasn't over. The disgraceful, premature, in-your-face act, threw Olazabal, who duly missed his crucial putt.

Jim Richards
Richards was booed by the masses for winning the Bathurst 1000 in a Nissan in 1992, when the Great Race wasn't exclusively a Ford-Holden showdown. He should have drunk the champers and gotten off the podium. Instead, he called the crowd "a pack of a...holes", ensuring he would be remembered as one of their number.

Read more:

Glen

Bench
There you go, all this does is fuel the gutless media pricks to keep writing articles about Mal. And he'll keep reading them and getting really upset rather than celebating his incredible 6th straight series win

Mr Fourex

Bench
Of course i am Jealous & bitter, my state has just lost 6 in a row; but as i stated previously, at least im not a "Queens-lan-da"

Also just thought i would post this article from the DT; because its relevant to the thread:

Pfftt........The telecrap

So you're jealous, bitter and STUPID ........must be nice being from NSW. :lol:

AuDragon

Juniors
I dont live in a sewer I live in a house... Remember; i live in NSW ... Not Queensland; where people are inbred sewer rats.
Oh the clever come back! Did you think of it all by yourself? :sarcasm:

And then you go on quoting another telecrap article to bag Mal, desperation much? :lol:

AuDragon

Juniors
There you go, all this does is fuel the gutless media pricks to keep writing articles about Mal. And he'll keep reading them and getting really upset rather than celebating his incredible 6th straight series win
Have you thought about the possibility that this may be going well beyond the drivel from the telecrap and slothfield?

Besides, when would be a good time to have this rant, or should he and Qld just shut up because we're winning?
What if everything mentioned in his article ends up being the difference between a series win and a loss?
Should he wait until we lose to give that spray and be labelled a sore loser?

Pfftt........The telecrap

So you're jealous, bitter and STUPID ........must be nice being from NSW. :lol:

Yep ... all of the above... your right.

Oh the clever come back! Did you think of it all by yourself? :sarcasm:

And then you go on quoting another telecrap article to bag Mal, desperation much? :lol:

Yes thanks... took me a while but i did think of it myself:roll:

That wasn't to bag Mal(Mal embarasses himself; no need for me to do it); I actually saw it in todays Daily tele-crap and it related to this thread.

Glen

Bench
Have you thought about the possibility that this may be going well beyond the drivel from the telecrap and slothfield?

Besides, when would be a good time to have this rant, or should he and Qld just shut up because we're winning?
What if everything mentioned in his article ends up being the difference between a series win and a loss?
Should he wait until we lose to give that spray and be labelled a sore loser?
A good time to have the rant would have been not at all. Most of it was paranoid garbage about the NSW boogeymen conspiring to bring his team down. Thurston got off, the refs were bad for both sides and you were better off without fat arse Taylor (who deserved to be suspended)

Broncomum

Juniors
Actually he has timed this article perfectly this year; one of the key elements of good coaching is knowing WHEN to strike to gain maximum benefits.

In previous years, these allegations are brought up in one way or the other. Usually after all the excitement of the decider has died down; one should never 'rain' on the winners' parade huh? By that stage, the NRL finals are looming & the attention span of many is rather slim.
Well this year, Mal decided while the sting of defeat was still heavy in the air it would be the perfect time. The media are interested in what a winning coach has to say; so he gave them something juicy. He also ensured all allegations were in print, and clearly understandable to those who needed to understand.
There is no ambiguity; just some forcefully put statements & allegations.
There's no turning away this year, these questions need some answers.
I daresay there will be a LOT of attempts to divert fans' attentions elsewhere while they try digging out of this one.

But face it, Mal has executed a perfect tackle this time. I suspect the ball will come loose anytime now.

Eels Dude

Coach
So Meninga uses the media to bag out the media. How ironic. It was an unnecessary whinge no matter what way you look at it.

AuDragon

Juniors
A good time to have the rant would have been not at all. Most of it was paranoid garbage about the NSW boogeymen conspiring to bring his team down. Thurston got off, the refs were bad for both sides and you were better off without fat arse Taylor (who deserved to be suspended)
Yeah sure, if you say so... :sarcasm:

Me, I'm curious as to what will crawl out of the woodwork as a result of this "paranoid garbage".
Would also love to see McCallum going to court over it, but that's not going to happen unfortunately... Too big a can of worms.

woodley_11

Juniors
If you're from QLD and aren't familiar with the Daily Telegraph, everyone in NSW knows its a joke of a paper. Mal Meninga has obviously never read a Phil Rothfield article before that infamous one. Lockyer's post-game speech was great I thought. Stuart and Meninga have let themselves down though. Stuart for not taking the field for the presentation, and Meninga for this paranoid, thin skinned rant.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
His attacks on the media are pointless. They deserve no respect what so ever, so move away from that.

What is his go with implying that NSW were behind the suspension of Dave Taylor? It inferred that he thinks the judiciary is corrupt.

Glen

Bench
Yeah sure, if you say so... :sarcasm:

Me, I'm curious as to what will crawl out of the woodwork as a result of this "paranoid garbage".
Would also love to see McCallum going to court over it, but that's not going to happen unfortunately... Too big a can of worms.
It must be exhausting being victims all the time

Nothing will come out of it because it's just the same old baseless conspiracy theories from Queensland

Mal could take a leaf out of Lockyer's book and the class he showed post-match while still celebrating the incredible achievement. So could Sticky

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
It must be exhausting being victims all the time

Nothing will come out of it because it's just the same old baseless conspiracy theories from Queensland

Mal could take a leaf out of Lockyer's book and the class he showed post-match while still celebrating the incredible achievement. So could Sticky

Well said. Some of Queensland (and NSW) could do well to show the class of Lockyer in his sportsmanship.

Last edited:

greenfins

Juniors
Good on you Mal, serve it up nice and hot. Seriously Mal's rant is nothing compared to what we have put up with from the NSW media men over the years.

Settle down one and all, it makes for a great SOO series in 2012, can't wait for next year already.

nuthead

Juniors
Aren't all politicains liars. Mal was a politician once, wasn't he? Or is that just another Queensland myth.

Latest posts