What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Queensland's triumph a victory over the dirty rats of Origin

Mr Fourex

Bench
I really think this whole debacle has gone on too long and people should STFU and get on with life. NSW and QLD should show a united front in the coming months as the Independent commission comes because the transition is going to be a rocky one; but instead both sides are acting like petulant children instead of being the leaders of the game they are supposed to be.

This is my high horse and i am getting on it, and i suggest everyone here does too:

attachment.php

bucked-off-the-horse.jpg

mikail-eagle

Bench
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...apology-deadline/story-e6frg7mf-1226093420260
http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&s...-6jcBw&usg=AFQjCNGorySewnwbU3lJNaMHFGsT5XsBLg

Mal Meninga issued an apology deadline

MAL Meninga has been given 48 hours to publicly apologise to the match review committee for his "rats and filth" comments or face the prospect of being sued for defamation.
Sydney law firm Kennedys made the demand on behalf of the NRL in correspondence sent to both the Queensland coach and Queensland's The Sunday Mail yesterday.
"The match review committee is continuing to work with legal advisers to seek some resolution and this is being done through the appropriate channels," NRL football operations manager Nathan McGuirk said.
"There is no wish to further inflame the situation but there is a strong view that the statements are defamatory and they should not remain unchallenged.
"It is everyone's hope that the matter can be resolved without further action."
The move followed Meninga's venomous column in The Sunday Mail in which he took a swipe at the NSWRL, the NSW media, the match review committee and the judiciary after the Maroons won a record sixth consecutive State of Origin series.
While most parties connected to the Blues have been happy to let the comments slide, the match review committee of chairman Greg McCallum, Meninga's former Canberra teammate Bradley Clyde and former North Sydney coach Peter Louis want a promise of a public apology within 48 hours. The details of that still have to be hammered out by legal parties but it is believed any apology would have to be prominent enough to garner the same sort of attention Meninga's column attracted.
Meninga's description of the Maroons' effort as a "victory against the very rats and filth that tried to poison a team with monumental lies, personal attack, arrogance and disrespect" are the centre of most offence.
They are comments that have probably cost him friendships with Clyde and NSW coach Ricky Stuart, with whom he won premierships at the Raiders.
Meninga was upset at the match review committee for citing Queensland halfback Johnathan Thurston for running into a referee and for what he says were inconsistencies in dangerous throw charges against Maroons backrower Dave Taylor and NSW winger Akuila Uate.
Taylor received a five-week suspension for a grade two charge after being found guilty of the offence, while Uate escaped suspension after taking an early plea.
The Sunday Mail editor Scott Thompson said they would take legal advice on the matter today before determining their next course of action.
"We're standing by Mal and we're standing by the column," Thompson said. "They've engaged lawyers so obviously we'll seek our own legal advice."
Meninga and Queensland captain Darren Lockyer are scheduled today to attend a charity lunch in Brisbane for children with autism.
QRL managing director Ross Livermore spoke to Meninga yesterday for the first time since the Maroons wrapped up a sixth straight series last week.
"He was good," Livermore said.
"I usually leave it to the middle of the next week (after Origin) before I trouble him again."
The QRL boss added he did not believe Meninga had to say sorry for his comments.
"I don't think he should apologise," Livermore said.
"He might have to apologise for some of the terms that were used, but were they his terms? That's what you've got to check.
"Do you think The Sunday Mail wouldn't have had it checked out before they published it?"
Meninga faces no recriminations from his employer for his comments. The QRL board has already endorsed his candidature for another four years.

Gippsy

Bench
He'll ignore it. He's now the worlds greatest supercoach and will do & say what he pleases.

crocodile

Bench
Unless he's keen on preserving a few friendships he'll ignore it. What can the NRL really do about it. I can see the headlines now. "Six time losers sue the winning coach for not being nice to us."

redvscotty

First Grade
Unless he's keen on preserving a few friendships he'll ignore it. What can the NRL really do about it. I can see the headlines now. "Six time losers sue the winning coach for not being nice to us."

If you read the article there is a reference to it being the match review committee that is threatening legal action.

NSWRL treated Mals whinging as it should have been treated by them, calling him and his rant weird.

Don't 'coaches' who bag off the refs and the match review get slapped with 10 grand fines, or is that just refs?

Mal is a big girl who threw a hissy fit, even though he won. Silence would have been golden you big goose.

redvscotty

First Grade
supermotivationalspeaker

'How to win games of Rugby League'

by Neil Henry and Michael Hagan

Foreword by Mal Meninga.

Canard

Immortal
If I was Mal I would call a press confernce.

Than stand up in front of everyone drop my trou, flop my old fella out and loudly proclaim "SUCK ON IT!"

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach

Than stand up in front of everyone drop my trou, flop my old fella out and loudly proclaim "SUCK ON IT!"

And get done for obscene exposure and sued for defamation. I hope he does that too.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member

Genuine chuckle at this mental image. It'd be right up there with his 28 sec political career. He made the right call there, realising that more glory lay in other pursuits. Just enjoy the win Mal!

Shorty

Staff member
I would rather be gay and/or lesbian than be a Queenslander and/or be associated with these guys:

470_meninga_wideweb__470x313,0.jpg

325355-sam-thaiday-broncos-nrl.jpg

AND THAT SAYS ALOT !

I dont live in a sewer I live in a house... Remember; i live in NSW ... Not Queensland; where people are inbred sewer rats.

Woah woah woah.... I swear to God that wasn't being racist; i was talking about their "uglyness" and Thaidays "grubyness".

P.s. Please do not to deep into my comments as they are just fun banter.
....you know there are gay people that post here.
You've been here, what, 5 seconds and you feel the need to post stuff like this?

On topic, I really wish Mal hadn't published that article, but I can certainly understand why he did it.

Last edited:

eozsmiles

Bench
Has Mal admitted to writing this thing yet or is there still a chance he will blame the ghostwriter?
Mal won't apologise. If he gets sued the FOG's or the newspaper will pay for it. And it won't do any further damage to his reputation, which in his world is fairly soaring at the moment.
Rather than lawyers at ten paces it would be far more amusing if Mal and the NSW media just took each other on publicly for a few months.

Latest posts