What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Queensland's triumph a victory over the dirty rats of Origin

Mong

Post Whore
How funny..

Mal has them fuming about this at the same time they are bitter about losing once again.. Top effort.

I wonder if they think legal action is the only way they can win anything.. Afterall, he did hurt their poor widdle precious feelings.

Comedy gold

:lol::lol:

babyg

Juniors
If NSW go ahead and sue Mal then that would be bringing the game into disrepute. The game should be protected at all costs. Wouldn't Mal's defence be the he didn't write it. The Courier Mail did. It would effectively be sueing News Ltd.

deadweight0

Juniors
the media in this country is predominately a f**king joke at the best of times and it's always exacerbated around origin. stuart said last night on one week at a time how pleased he was that the nsw media had backed the team the way the qld media has been supporting their own over the years. aren't the media suppose to be impartial? lockyer said he doesn't turn on the tv nor read newspapers during origin. it would be wise for others to follow suit.

Mr Fourex

Bench
If NSW go ahead and sue Mal then that would be bringing the game into disrepute. The game should be protected at all costs. Wouldn't Mal's defence be the he didn't write it. The Courier Mail did. It would effectively be sueing News Ltd.

QLD lawyers > NSW lawyers

.......another LOL@New South Fails.

Last edited:

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Legal action? There is no such thing as group defamation per Knupffer and Meninga did not identify any corporate body, so there is the possibility of no plaintiff. The closest he came to identifying anyone was "they are the ones that cited JT... 5 weeks difference". That could be dangerous for Mal. Weaker argument for the Sydney Press being sufficiently individually identified, though

The paper that publishes it is liable regardless of who wrote the original defamatory document. Any publication of defamatory material leaves the publisher exposed. Mal could have a defence that he did not write it, but would need to offer proof that this is so. Papers have highly qualified lawyers on retainer and articles like this would be green lighted before being published. I doubt very much there is any claim here or someone is in the muck. You'd think Mal is indeminified by the paper he publishes for so as to not hurt his own pocket.

But what are the damages, if indeed the NRL match committee and judiciary members do bring action; and are deemed to be sufficiently indentified; were they really injured to feelings as a result of this article? I guess they were accussed of cheating, and that is a very serious allegation. Nevertheless, given the circumstances, hardly going to be a large figure awarded. The Telegraph and the NRL itself if they brought the claim would need to show pecuinary loss as a result of Meninga's comments... unlikely.

Storm in a teacup if you ask me and money wasted on lawyers. But Australian law is way behind the rest of the world when it comes to public interest defences for defamation as of 2009. Could be a chance to get your ball rolling ahead of everyone else like you have with your equitable doctrine.

Last edited:

Slackboy72

Coach
I would rather be gay and/or lesbian than be a Queenslander and/or be associated with these guys:

470_meninga_wideweb__470x313,0.jpg

325355-sam-thaiday-broncos-nrl.jpg

AND THAT SAYS ALOT !

2762000164_2c97b60edc_o.jpg

eozsmiles

Bench
If anyone holds an unabashed bias agianst those from another part of Australia it is Mal against NSW. I'm not sure why there is a blow up over this article - Mal has been pushing this line and attempting to damage the game to suit his own ends for years. This is nothing new for Mal. I know hipocracy is a big word but someone getting paid to write a newspaper column should be familiar with it's meaning.
Even before this column came out Mal had labelled people as cheats and corrupt, yet he has the gall to claim he has been offended during the last few weeks. He suggested this anti-Queensland stuff has been going on for years, yet chooses to ignore his own behaviour or that of his comrades. Even ignores some facts. So if a match official makes a call that Mal doesn't like they are cheats, but if he calls the match officials cheats he is an upstanding member of the game doing a good deed. That's moronic, especially when the guy firing the bullets has such a vested interest. How can the coach of a team have a go at the officials and claim it anything but an attempt to help himself? He can't. He's not interested in the game, he's interested in Mal.
He claims that the rats and filth have done the game a disservice through a smear campaign and personal attacks. Mal should understand how that works, he is first cab off the rank when it comes to throwing stones.
Let's not forget that Mal suggested Origin was on it's last legs 6 years ago. The reason? His team had lost a couple of series in a row. I don't know how tossing up the idea of losing teams quitting the comp is doing the game a service. But if Mal said it, it must be. I guarantee if Bellamy or Stuart had suggested this recently, then Mal would be on the front foot and making a prized tool of himself.
At the end of the day it's pretty funny stuff. Phil Rothfield said he can't coach and Thurston got found not guilty. Somehow Mal has taken this to mean that the world is aginst him. Rothfield thinking you are sh!t should be taken as a compliment. He might need a couch. Or a new ghostwriter.

Patorick

Staff member
If anyone holds an unabashed bias agianst those from another part of Australia it is Mal against NSW. I'm not sure why there is a blow up over this article - Mal has been pushing this line and attempting to damage the game to suit his own ends for years. This is nothing new for Mal. I know hipocracy is a big word but someone getting paid to write a newspaper column should be familiar with it's meaning.
Even before this column came out Mal had labelled people as cheats and corrupt, yet he has the gall to claim he has been offended during the last few weeks. He suggested this anti-Queensland stuff has been going on for years, yet chooses to ignore his own behaviour or that of his comrades. Even ignores some facts. So if a match official makes a call that Mal doesn't like they are cheats, but if he calls the match officials cheats he is an upstanding member of the game doing a good deed. That's moronic, especially when the guy firing the bullets has such a vested interest. How can the coach of a team have a go at the officials and claim it anything but an attempt to help himself? He can't. He's not interested in the game, he's interested in Mal.
He claims that the rats and filth have done the game a disservice through a smear campaign and personal attacks. Mal should understand how that works, he is first cab off the rank when it comes to throwing stones.
Let's not forget that Mal suggested Origin was on it's last legs 6 years ago. The reason? His team had lost a couple of series in a row. I don't know how tossing up the idea of losing teams quitting the comp is doing the game a service. But if Mal said it, it must be. I guarantee if Bellamy or Stuart had suggested this recently, then Mal would be on the front foot and making a prized tool of himself.
At the end of the day it's pretty funny stuff. Phil Rothfield said he can't coach and Thurston got found not guilty. Somehow Mal has taken this to mean that the world is aginst him. Rothfield thinking you are sh!t should be taken as a compliment. He might need a couch. Or a new ghostwriter.
Well said.

Also compare the stuff Rothfield wrote about Mal to what he has written about Phil Gould, Brian Smith, Warren Ryan and Matt Elliott in the past.

Childs play, in comparison.

cornerposter

Juniors
Me too, he didn't even mention what a total shithole Sydney actually is.
:lol::lol:

Also compare the stuff Rothfield wrote about Mal to what he has written about Phil Gould, Brian Smith, Warren Ryan and Matt Elliott in the past.

Rothfield might of written the crap but it was perpetuated by the remainder of the NSW media by constantly referring to it every chance they got.

6-0 and the passion still burns in the big fella. Bring on 7!

Broncomum

Juniors
Well said.

Childs play, in comparison.

Oh good Einstein has shown up.
Could you please summarise for me exactly WHAT point the previous poster was making?

It appears to me to be just a coming together of every snippet ever spoken against Mal or Qld in a jumbled mess really. I'm having a hard enough time googling "hipocracy" anyway. Is it a medical term?

Look all I really need is an explanation of what "Mal against NSW" means? Does NSW mean the whole physical State? Or just the NSWRL of NSW? Or is it people in general from NSW?

It's actually a serious question too. There's a lot of accusation in that post above, and not one shred of evidence even cited to back any of it up.
Can we get just 'something' from you people besides the usual 'churn it over and over because we know it's true because people have always said it 's true' ?

Do you people KNOW what you are talking about?
Because all I see is the same I used to see ages ago before I stopped reading the 'Buzz's bullcrap' ..... baseless half truths, childish insults and fingers in the ears as you sing "nah nah nah" whenever the TRUTH surfaces.

Do carry on.
:roll:

Mr Fourex

Bench
I know hipocracy is a big word but someone getting paid to write a newspaper column should be familiar with it's meaning.

and it's spelling.....moron.

Hypocrisy:

1. a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles, etc., that one does not really possess.

2. a pretense of having some desirable or publicly approved attitude.

3. an act or instance of hypocrisy.

Last edited:

Matt23

Staff member
One can only imagine how good Mal's little tantrum would have been had Queensland actually lost :sarcasm: Seriously sore winners much. stfu
Ps next year can Slothfield (Ritchie i'm looking at you too) STFU and not write garbage articles regarding origin, I know i'm asking a bit too much there...

Last edited:

fightingirish69

Juniors
imagine if queensland players showed the same "passion" in the green and gold as they do when they pull on the maroon jumper.

RHCP

Bench
and it's spelling.....moron.

Hypocrisy:

1. a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles, etc., that one does not really possess.

2. a pretense of having some desirable or publicly approved attitude.

3. an act or instance of hypocrisy.
Good deflection.

adamkungl

Immortal

In summary: Meninga is a f**kwit, this is nothing new. Let's all move on.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
The closest he came to identifying anyone was "they are the ones that cited JT... 5 weeks difference". That could be dangerous for Mal.

Fairly certain that's enough for a defamation claim. He's made an inference which is enough as actually identifying someone.

I really think this whole debacle has gone on too long and people should STFU and get on with life. NSW and QLD should show a united front in the coming months as the Independent commission comes because the transition is going to be a rocky one; but instead both sides are acting like petulant children instead of being the leaders of the game they are supposed to be.

This is my high horse and i am getting on it, and i suggest everyone here does too:

attachment.php

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I really think this whole debacle has gone on too long and people should STFU and get on with life. NSW and QLD should show a united front in the coming months as the Independent commission comes because the transition is going to be a rocky one; but instead both sides are acting like petulant children instead of being the leaders of the game they are supposed to be.

This is my high horse and i am getting on it, and i suggest everyone here does too:

attachment.php

As much as I hate the constant trolling and the pathetic banter from each side, this stuff is good for the game. Creates interest. It takes away from the actual spectacle that is Rugby League and turns it into something more tribal. Im not a fan of it, I like the focus to be on the match itself rather then the conflict it has generated.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Fairly certain that's enough for a defamation claim. He's made an inference which is enough as actually identifying someone.

Like I said, the claims from the members of those 2 (3 person) small bodies is going to be dangerous for Mal as the individuals may have an actionable claim. The irony is, only the keenest fan or employee of the game would have known who made up that panel to be constituted 'readily identifiable'. Of course now the papers have revealed the members.

Sydney newspapers/journalists have weaker claims. NRL/NSWRL would be novel in my opinion. Both because "They are the ones who criticise Queensland's two closed training sessions as a refusal to promote the game, yet give their blessing to the NSW decision not to name its team until an hour before kick-off - the first time in Origin history.

They are the ones who have the hide to label Queensland - a team built on the twin pillars of respect and humility - arrogant in victory and whingers in defeat, but offer nothing when their captain places the loss of the series at the feet of the referees, instead of acknowledging superior opponents"
does not identify anyone in particular. I do not subscribe to Australian media so I am short of the facts as to who from where said what. You can easily argue that the media was not identified as a "power broker in the game"; blessing is an ambiguous term for approval, and that the NSWRL/NRL's senior management was not identified to bring personal actions and given large corps have no feelings, there can be no damages for for their "hurt feelings" and I doubt that there is any way how they can show pecuniary loss for 'loss of reputation' from this incident.

So given those match committee members and judiciary panel are really the only ones 'readily identifiable' in my opinion, and they are unconnected to the rest of the article, how defamed were they? Context is inescapable and will be brought into play one way or another; and my understanding is that in the Federal Parliament it was stated that the charging of Thurston was outrageous. You can expect that to diminish the damages award already!

The judiciary is more of a headache to Mal, unless he can show the tackles were identical, thus he formed an honest opinion on a matter of public interest with no malice that there was bias against his team BUT Australia does not have that defence! Elsewhere int he world does!

What I find most interesting is if this case eventuates and went to HCA, there is a chance to expand Australia's jurassic public interest defence. I have not looked at Australian defmation law since 2009 and even then it was to do specifically with defaming Parliamentarians so I do not profess to be an expert on it.

On the lighter side, Truth is always a defence to defamation. Imagine if he went to trial and argued everything he said was true ;) Balance of probabilities is all he needs ;) I have not seen the respective Taylor and Uate tackles, objectively, is there is any merit that they were identical? Should Uate have been suspended? I doubt he would go this path and I say it tongue in cheek, but how angry is Mal?

PS They inferred from what he implied :p

Last edited:

Latest posts