What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on FIFA 2022 World Cup, $, & the NRL

Teddyboy

First Grade
There are going to be a whole load of white elephants in South Africa after next years world cup has ended.

Goddo

Bench
I don't want to have wait 11 years for a decent stadium here!

Unfortunately you may have to.
I don't see why the rectangular sports don't combine their efforts in pushing for facilities. Especially in Perth, where Stadiums are a s*** fight

The AFL and cricket do. $60m to be spent on the SCG, and something similar on MCG was announced this week. Where is the grant to do up the SFS?

I think our game can work a lot harder in getting grounds developed.

Timbo

Staff member
id be surprised if they even needed 1 stadium considering all their nfl stadiums would prob be 60000+...pretty sure they have at least 2 indoor stadiums as well if that ever became requested

Becomes slightly more difficult when you take into account the amount of FieldTurf or other artificial surface venues in the USA which would be inadmissable.

hellteam

First Grade
These days there are a few indoor stadiums there with real grass.. arizona is one example

Perth Red

Post Whore
Unfortunately you may have to.
I don't see why the rectangular sports don't combine their efforts in pushing for facilities. Especially in Perth, where Stadiums are a s*** fight

The AFL and cricket do. $60m to be spent on the SCG, and something similar on MCG was announced this week. Where is the grant to do up the SFS?

I think our game can work a lot harder in getting grounds developed.

Now the Force have moved to MES the noises are getting louder. IF the NRL came out and told the Govt that we would be getting a team but only if MES is upgraded it could be the final push the Govt needs. The plans for a $140mill upgrade are drawn up, they just need sign off. Maybe the billions the govt will be getting from the Gorgan deals will give them the flash cash to see it happen. I can't see the Force being able to survive at MES without an upgrade to corproate facilities and an increase of capacity and covered seating.

There are some problems with MES in that is co owed by a local council and a private investor. I think this is a major issue for Govt.

Goddo

Bench
Bit in the paper about world cup stadiums and Australia's bid. Some good stuff in there for us, some not so good...

http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/fo...1252780358786.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

and

http://www.theage.com.au/news/sport/soccer/australias-main-stadiums/2009/09/16/1252780357894.html

Looks like they want Ovals in Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne x2, Gold Coast
New stadiums in Canberra, Townsville
Massive rebuilds in Newcastle, somewhere else in Sydney (Woolongong, Parra or Blacktown)

If thats our bid, we won't win. But, if the government is planning a big funds injection it can be better. Obviously, its now all down to political wrangling between state and federal goverments over who pays what, and what quality we aim for.

MCG Would require minimal upgrades to corporate and broadcast facilities and would be one of two Australian stadiums capable of hosting a World Cup final or semi-final. Room would have to be found nearby for an extensive media centre.
SUBIACO A change of government in Western Australia put paid to plans for a new 60,000-seat stadium, with Premier Colin Barnett preferring to spend less on a redevelopment of Subiaco.
ADELAIDE OVAL The South Australian Cricket Association has announced plans for a $350 million redevelopment that would lift capacity to 45,000. The AFL and SANFL are interested but no funding commitment has been allocated by the State Government, and SANFL plans to redevelop AAMI Stadium have muddied the waters.
TOWNSVILLE Dairy Farmers Stadium is too small to host a World Cup match and a new stadium would have to be built. Football Federation Australia has drawn up plans for a facility that could be down-scaled after the event. Nobody has yet agreed to fund such a project.
NEWCASTLE Energy Australia Stadium is being redeveloped in stages — funded jointly by the NSW and Federal governments. Current plans — costing $60 million — will lift the capacity to 33,000 but the NSW Government has said that capacity can be raised to 40,000 in the event the World Cup bid is successful.
12TH STADIUM To be determined but time is running out fast. Contenders are a redeveloped Wollongong stadium, a redevelopment of Parramatta Stadium or a new facility, built to the same FFA blueprint as the Townsville one, in Blacktown, western Sydney.
CANBERRA The ACT Government has floated plans for a $350 million rectangular stadium at the Bruce site that is home to the Canberra Stadium and the AIS. As part of the plan — which the ACT has said would require a mix of Federal Government and private funding — the existing Canberra Stadium would be converted to an AFL and cricket oval shape and the new stadium built alongside.
SUNCORP STADIUM The Brisbane stadium, redeveloped in 2003, is generally acknowledged as the best place to watch the game in the country. Would require only minor changes.
SYDNEY FOOTBALL STADIUM A rectangular stadium that would need a facelift to corporate and media facilities but is more than capable of hosting World Cup games.
ANZ STADIUM Sydney’s Olympic jewel at Homebush would also be a contender to host the World Cup final and would require only relatively minor adjustments to be FIFA compliant. Capacity is 84,000.
ETIHAD STADIUM On the FFA’s list of 12 but may present problems, as it is likely to be required by the AFL during the World Cup period. Would require minimal upgrade.
CARRARA A $126 million oval stadium jointly funded by State and Federal governments, the AFL and the Gold Coast council that will house the incoming Gold Coast AFL team. Would need expansion as the planned capacity is only 25,000.

Last edited:

Doug2234

First Grade
Well if everyone got the f**k over the sh*t game that is AFL we could have more rectangle grounds... AFL is a joke!!!

BuffaloRules

Coach
Bit in the paper about world cup stadiums and Australia's bid. Some good stuff in there for us, some not so good...

http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/fo...1252780358786.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

and

http://www.theage.com.au/news/sport/soccer/australias-main-stadiums/2009/09/16/1252780357894.html

Looks like they want Ovals in Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne x2, Gold Coast
New stadiums in Canberra, Townsville
Massive rebuilds in Newcastle, somewhere else in Sydney (Woolongong, Parra or Blacktown)

If thats our bid, we won't win. But, if the government is planning a big funds injection it can be better. Obviously, its now all down to political wrangling between state and federal goverments over who pays what, and what quality we aim for.

I cant really see the good news at all....

The capacity of the new rectangle stadiums in Melb & Gold Coast cant be enlarged....

Looks like we are going with ovals for Adelaide, Perth, Gold Coast ( Assume that the Victorians will get their stadium upgraded to 40,000 +) , Melbourne....

Upgraded/ new stadiums for Townsville, Newcastle and Canberra which will rarely ( read never) be filled to 40,000 + for an NRL game ... ( ok Maybe Newcastle for a home semi....)

jargan83

Coach
Now the Force have moved to MES the noises are getting louder. IF the NRL came out and told the Govt that we would be getting a team but only if MES is upgraded it could be the final push the Govt needs. The plans for a $140mill upgrade are drawn up, they just need sign off. Maybe the billions the govt will be getting from the Gorgan deals will give them the flash cash to see it happen. I can't see the Force being able to survive at MES without an upgrade to corproate facilities and an increase of capacity and covered seating.

There are some problems with MES in that is co owed by a local council and a private investor. I think this is a major issue for Govt.

If the WA State Government can get the lease of the WAFC (West Australian Fumbleball Commission) for Subiaco Oval then I can't see any problems with the Government getting the rights to MES (which I think is now ME Bank Stadium) Town of Vincent own the lease on MES but the stadium is operated by Allia. The Force have already been given the thumbs up to a $2-3 million loan to upgrade MES temporarily. It is my understanding that the Permanant ($160 million) upgrade of MES will begin next year after the Super 14 taking the ground to 27,000 with upgraded facilities also.

The former WA Labor Government had committed to the Multi-Purpose Stadium here in Perth that was supposed to have the ability to transform into a complete rectangle not just the moving the sides in like at ANZ. The New Liberal Government put it hold for a minimum 2 years due to the economic crises, despite continued WAFC complaints in the media the Barney Rubble the accidental premier is holding firm on that statement of waiting 2 years.

Whilst the upgrade of MES is good news for Rectangular sports fans, especially with a possible NRL expansion on the cards, with the Western Force moving there next season. Unfortunately there is no word on a stadium capable of meeting the FIFA requirements for World Cup matches at this stage. Given that some of the Stadiums in South Africa are still not yet completed or are only now being completed it is not the end of the world just yet.

For mine I prefer the MPS as the major stadium solution here in Perth

Billythekid

First Grade
Upgraded/ new stadiums for Townsville, Newcastle and Canberra which will rarely ( read never) be filled to 40,000 + for an NRL game ... ( ok Maybe Newcastle for a home semi....)

Newcastle will occasionally fill it for semis and i also think they could get more than 30K for a few big regular season games.

I don't understand why the cowboys couldn't fill a 40,000 stadium if Newcastle could. I could definitely see them filling or nearly filling it for finals and games against GC and Brisbane.

As for Canberra well increased capacity is not a benefit at all BUT if we could get some more undercover areas there it would be a huge boost.

You also missed the bit about upgrading a Sydney stadium. Getting somewhere like Parra upgraded to 40K+ would be fantastic.

Edit: and i still think that if we put in a serious bid that Perth may get a rectangular stadium.

Last edited:
Newcastle will occasionally fill it for semis and i also think they could get more than 30K for a few big regular season games.

I don't understand why the cowboys couldn't fill a 40,000 stadium if Newcastle could. I could definitely see them filling or nearly filling it for finals and games against GC and Brisbane.

As for Canberra well increased capacity is not a benefit at all BUT if we could get some more undercover areas there it would be a huge boost.

You also missed the bit about upgrading a Sydney stadium. Getting somewhere like Parra upgraded to 40K+ would be fantastic.

Edit: and i still think that if we put in a serious bid that Perth may get a rectangular stadium.

Agree with you on Newcastle and Townsville. Re Canberra, the Brumbies with all their gun player signings are likely to be more of a powerhouse and get back to the crowds of a few years ago - 25k or so.

Another way to get some suitable grounds might be to share the bid with NZ - then you could use Eden Park and Westpac Stadium (Wellington) bot of which I'd think are suitable.

Goddo

Bench
Perth may get a good stadium, but its all down to political wrangling there. The WA goverment owns the 2 AFL licences over there, and if they can, they want to spend the money on an Oval ground. They know that is not good enough, but they will hold out as long as they can, or get some sort of assurance money will be spent on Subiaco or the WACCA regardless of the world cup.

As far as NZ goes, no. FIFA after the south korea/japan experiment don't like splitting homes. Maybe we could use Auckland at a pinch if we end up one stadium short. Westpac wouldn't be good. Its an oval. We are already looking at 1000+ ovals for the bid.

On Canberra, I think the problem there for the NRL is that Bruce is miles from nowhere, and there is nowhere to get a drink before or after a game near by. Unless you want to use Canberra Cabs or a Bus, you have to drive. The car park there is a dirt strip. It gets cold and the grandstands are exposed. And the Raiders lack a leagues club near the ground. These things are far more urgent than the new stadium, but some of these things will be fixed (better parking, enclosed roof on ground, a decent bus shuttle to the city) with the new stadium. I also think Canberra wants to get the odd Wallabies game in future. There is also a huge soccer following in Canberra, so FIFA will probably like this proposal, except for public transport.

Canberra has a very young and educated average population. Maybe the raiders need to market themselves to the Universities more. Plenty of cashed up Defence and public servant types.

Last edited:

bobmar28

Bench
You obviously dont follow US politics very closely. His health care plan is in big trouble and he's dropping very quickly in the polls.

The state of the US budget will prevent any huge commitment from the US government IMO. That is if huge money is needed at all given their quality and quantity of stadia.

They have 20 or 30 large stadiums.

macavity

Referee
They have 20 or 30 large stadiums.

yes, :lol: at the assertion that the US needs to build stadia to be FIFA ready.

20 or 30 on the east coast alone you mean.

there are enough suitable magnificent stadia in the NFL, and that is without even considering some of the awesome stadiums that college football teams play out of.

the likes of Ford Field (Detroit), Heinz Field (Pittsburgh), Arrowhead (Kansas City), Soldier Field (Chicago), Qwest Stadium (Seattle) and the new Meadowlands stadium (New York) put pretty much anything else in the world to shame for luxury - only a dozen or so stadiums in the world are in the same league.

We gasp at spending $100mil Oz on a stadium (Newcastle struggled to get $60mil) - some of these cost $800mil+ US to build....

jargan83

Coach
The WA goverment owns the 2 AFL licences over there

West Australian Fumbleball Commission owns the licences for West Coke and the Dockers, and they currently hold the lease on Subiaco. Last time Subiaco Oval was upgraded the WAFC planned and funded the project themselves until they were alomst bankrupted by the project and went cap in hand to the WA State Government who bailed them out.

The WACA has it's own plans for expansion and they are in the approvals process including a residential development on the current pratice wickets as Cricker training facilities are moving out to UWA in some sports project, along with the Western Force, Netball and several other sports. That re-development will takt the WACA capacity to 30,000.

The problem is what the Government here choses to go with when the new stadium comes up for talk again in 18 months, a Subiaco rebuild has been dicussed but that would be a poor choice IMHO. The Multi-Purpose stadium that thge previous Labor Government had committed to building is the best option if Perth wants to be apart of the World Cup

BuffaloRules

Coach

Parra wont be upgraded in my view, as you alreay have SFS and Homebush, both of which according to the article require minor upgrades. Sydney wont need 3 different stadiums - 2 will be sufficient.

Its looking bad for the Perth rectangle stadium IMO....

If they are going with Oval Stadiums in Adelaide, GC and Melbourne anyway, then what difference is one more going to make?

They wont win the bid on what is being proposed anyway....

The next three winning bids will be England, USA and then China... put your house on it...