What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R12 Sun - Warriors v Bulldogs @ Mt Smart *SPOILERS*

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
LU LIVE > http://www.leagueunlimited.com/liveu...hp?matchid=134 - Every game, every week.

Warriors.gif
v
Bulldogs.gif

GAME > Warriors v Bulldogs
WHEN > Sunday 3 June, 2:00pm (4:00pm NZT)
WHERE > MT SMART STADIUM, PENROSE (AUCKLAND) NZ
MEDIA > DELAYED NINE 4:00PM, LIVE ABC
REF > Sean Hampstead; Colour: Yellow; Sideline Officials: Paul Holland, David Abood; Video Referee: Phil Cooley
TIX > Ticketek NZ.

LINEUPS
Warriors > 1 Wade McKinnon, 2 Patrick Ah Van, 3 Tony Martin, 4 Simon Mannering, 5 Michael Crockett, 6 Jerome Ropati, 7 Michael Witt, 8 Ruben Wiki (vc), 9 Nathan Fien, 10 Steve Price (c), 11 Louis Anderson, 12 Logan Swann, 13 Micheal Luck
Int - 14 Lance Hohaia, 15 Evarn Tuimavave, 16 Sam Rapira, 17 Wairangi Koopu
Bulldogs > 1. Luke Patten, 2. Hazem El Masri, 3. Daryl Millard, 4. Willie Tonga, 5. Cameron Phelps, 6. Ben Roberts, 7. Brent Sherwin, 8. Mark O'Meley, 9. Corey Hughes, 10. Chris Armit, 11. Lee Te Maari, 12. Andrew Ryan (c), 13. Sonny Bill Williams
Int - 14. Adam Perry, 15. Reni Maitua, 16. Kane Cleal, 17. Jarrad Hickey

PREMIER LEAGUE > Auckland v Bulldogs, 1:45pm (LIVE on Sky Sports NZ)
JERSEY FLEGG > Magpies v Bulldogs @ The Crest, 11:00am

Late mail >
New Zealand are looking to make changes, some injuries possibly popping up.
The Bulldogs at this stage look to be as per progrram, but it is understood Mason may have travelled with the side and could be a smokey to play.

r12-game7a.jpg

MATCH HISTORY

HEAD TO HEAD
Overall (21 matches) > Bulldogs 11 Warriors 8, Two draws
At Mt Smart (10 matches) > Warriors 5 Bulldogs 5

2006 CLASHES
Bulldogs 22 Warriors 18 (in extra time) at Telstra
Bulldogs 30 Warriors 16 at Mt Smart

BIGGEST WINS & LOSSES
Warriors 48 Bulldogs 22 at Showground, 2003
AND Warriors 34 Bulldogs 8 at Mt Smart, 2001
Bulldogs 54 Warriors 10 at Mt Smart, 2004

Timmah

Staff member
A dog of a week at Belmore
2 June 2007

BULLDOGS star Reni Maitua has apologised for his late arrival to training after a Sunday night drinking session which has cost him a starting place for tomorrow's match against the Warriors and dealt a blow to his hopes of an Origin call-up.

News of Maitua's indiscretion capped nightmare week at Belmore in which he and a number of senior players were reprimanded for speaking out about the club's decision not to offer hooker Corey Hughes a new contract. Doubts were also cast over the futures of coach Steve Folkes and chief executive Malcolm Noad.

The Bulldogs are a club divided at both board and football levels. On the field, the team has lost four of its past five games and Maitua was dumped to the bench this week after turning up late for Monday morning's training session. Maitua still hopes to force his way into the Blues squad for Origin II with a strong performance in Auckland, but he knows the demotion may cost him dearly. "Reni has told Folksy he is sorry, he feels he has let his teammates down and let himself down," Maitua's manager, Gavin Orr, said. "He was determined to push for an Origin berth and he's going to try and do that now from the bench.

"I'm sure he's going to have a big game against the Warriors when he comes on to try and repay the Bulldogs and remind the NSW selectors of what he can do. They're probably looking at him for a bench spot anyhow."

In isolation, Maitua's fall from grace is only minor. But on the back of three successive losses by the team and player unrest over the treatment of Hughes, the Bulldogs are once again in crisis territory.

Some members of the club want Noad overthrown, and Folkes's job has come under threat. Noad asked: "If there is a faction, why don't they have the guts to show their faces?" But it remains to be seen is whether he can do anything about the faction's intention, because his fate will ultimately rest with Bulldogs chairman George Peponis, who is overseas.

With a board meeting scheduled for the end of this month, the answers are not far away. It remains highly unlikely that Folkes will be sacked mid-season, but Folkes's assistant, Kevin Moore, has plenty of support as a successor from the people who want Noad gone, so the coach's position has come under question.

Both sides want what they believe is best for the club and neither sees any benefit in switching coaches halfway through the year. But many believe Folkes needs to let someone else ride the bike.

"It is a bit like Peter Costello waiting for John Howard," a Moore supporter said. "When is Folkesy going to step aside and let someone else have a go? Kevin is a very ambitious guy, he has wanted to coach first grade for a long time." Moore has not stated his intentions publicly.

Meanwhile, NZPA reports Warrior Michael Crockett is fully expecting to be targeted by opposition kickers against the Dogs tomorrow.

Crockett makes his comeback after eight weeks out with an elbow injury, replacing Manu Vatuvei - who was dropped after having a nightmare under the bombardment of kicks that came his way during the Warriors' 30-6 loss to Parramatta on Monday. Vatuvei will turn out for the Auckland Lions in the curtain-raiser against the Bulldogs' premier league side.

"Wingers are always going to get targeted with bombs and that," Crockett said. "If you're on your game, you're on. Poor Manu, I feel sorry for him, but I'm sure he'll bounce back. He's a great player and a key asset for our team."

Crockett said he could empathise with Vatuvei, having gone through the same experience himself.

"It's happened to me many times before," he said. "You get one bad bounce and then for the rest of the game you can't get anything right. That's just what happens."

Crockett, 24, joined the Warriors in the summer and made an explosive start for his new club with four tries in the first two rounds. But he dislocated his elbow in the round-four loss to Manly and has had to watch on as the Warriors have plummeted down the table to 10th.

Crockett knows all about long spells out from the game, having once been sidelined for more than a year with an ankle injury.

But experience didn't lessen the sense of frustration. "It's pretty frustrating because you can't go out there and help," he said. "All you can do is give moral support. It's pretty hard."

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/dog-of-a-week-at-belmore/2007/06/01/1180205509908.html

DeeGan

Bench
I took the Warriors at home and I think they will end their run of losses.

Things may go from bad to worse for the Canterbury Bulldogs after this weekend.

With the above said, I still cannot let go of the fact the Canterbury club will make their run for the finals in 2007. The roster is just too talented (like Brisbane) and the club always thrives on proving the doubters wrong.

Will this be the turning point? If they can win here well it may well be.

Disappointing to not see Sonny Fai in first grade action this week. I am hearing he is playing well in PL, a kid with such a huge future can bring enthusiasm to a team looking to buck the losing trend.

Timmah

Staff member
He didn't look all that crash hot against Parra last weekend tbh.

Timmah

Staff member
BETTING (TAB Sportsbet)
Warriors $1.90, Bulldogs $1.90

RADIO & TV
Live on FOX 3 and ABC, updates only on 2GB.

More late mail - Warriors will have late changes but as above nothing being mentioned. The Bulldogs will go in as per program, with Mason left in Australia to recuperate.

Timmah

Staff member
No you don't, you just are backing them because you want to see us in last :p

CrazyEel

Bench
Dodger said:
No you don't, you just are backing them because you want to see us in last :p
LOL, very true, but I am still confident :lol:
Also a tad concerned a little mishap over the next 2 weeks could put us in the same position :oops:
What a crazy comp :crazy:

Timmah

Staff member
Sorry it is channel 9 delay. Live on sky 1 in nz tho

smitty

Juniors
warriors to bounce back after monday nights shocker
the warriors smashed the doggies in NZ in the pre-season and i think they will do it again

Timmah

Staff member
http://www.bulldogs.com.au

COACHES CORNER Round 12
by Steve Folkes

After three straight losses everyone is trying to come up with some secret reason why the team has not been winning.

It's management, it's recruitment, players aren't happy, there's a rift...

Here's a clue...watch our last three matches.

It's not rocket science.

We have played well for about 80% of each match but individual players at different times have had lapses in concentration and made silly, school boy errors.

Drop balls on the first tackle near our own line.
Drop ball off kick offs.
Trying for big hit instead of a solid tackle.
Poor passing.

If you make those mistakes good sides will punish you.

What we have to do as a team is ignore all those sideline experts who love the sound of their own voice and focus on the job that needs to be done on the field. We need to be switched on for every second of every minute of the game.

I have faith in the players, I hope all Bulldogs fans do as well.

LeagueNut

First Grade
DeeGan said:
Disappointing to not see Sonny Fai in first grade action this week. I am hearing he is playing well in PL, a kid with such a huge future can bring enthusiasm to a team looking to buck the losing trend.
Rumours are floating around that he may get the call-up today.

Latest posts