What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R12 | Warriors 24-20 Knights @ Mt Smart | Sunday 2.00pm

Round 12 result :: Warriors vs Knights

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zoidberg

First Grade
It doesn't matter who's doing it, it just comes across as not caring about the results.

When I played footy when I was younger, I was in a far from playful mood after a loss.

I think there is a difference between enjoying your footy and what is going on with the boys.

As stated, 1 win from the last 8, you should walk off after a loss thinking about the game and what went wrong, not mucking around.

Just my opinion.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Thats how you handle it, others are different. They are professional athletes competing each week, its likely most have to switch off after a game otherwise it gets overwhelming

Like CH said, Tariq has been performing so its tough to rib him for it

mozza91

Coach
Tariq has probably been one of our best. Wouod be worse if it was bj doing it

This. He was our best today and is obviously abit of a larrikin he just might not be the type of personality to be depressed after a loss. You need this type of person in your team imo.

Zoidberg

First Grade
I totally get the switching off thing, it's just, for me, as a fan, after having to sit through yet another loss, I'd rather not see the guys looking all happy.

K-Man

Bench
For me it's about a professional being able to find an appropriate middle ground. I agree you need to switch off, and also that a club needs players like that - I bet someone like Tariq would be fantastic to have around in Grand Final week, for example (no that we'd be there).

However, I do think there's a time and place, and a guy who has been around a few years should be aware that it just doesn't look good to behave that way on the field after 7 losses out of 8. I mean he's actually won 1 game with the Knights, right? A bit of perspective is called for on his behalf.

Sure, during the week be upbeat and playful, keep training fresh and don't let losing become soul destroying. But you have literally just lost another match that cripples any hope of semi final football, I think you could be a larrikin with a positive disposition AND display 5 minutes of disappointment as well. It wouldn't be compromising your character to just act like it hurts immediately following a loss.

It's the same in any industry. You play a role to a certain extent when professionalism is called for. You complain to your friends / partner / family privately about your true feelings toward the job, but you also do your bit in meetings etc. I just think Tariq (like his brother) could be a bit smarter about these things, even though in all likelihood if I was in the team the Sims brothers would be some of my best mates because they actually have personalities.

Tariq has bombed post game interviews before so it is nothing new for him. It actually shows mental strength cos he can move on to the next one with a clean slate. Dwelling on loss achieves nothing and if anything we may actually do it too much.. It is a cliche that died years ago. Most champion sides have fun getting there.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I'm surprised to see so much negativity after this game. This was one of the few times in recent years where we've lost but I feel like we can actually take a lot out of it. We had a seriously under strength side with a number of players in key positions out, not to mention several of our most experienced players being out. Then Tyrone goes down in the first 10 mins to make it even more challenging because our bench hooker ends up playing halfback.

All of this aside we got within 4 points of the Warriors at home, I know that they aren't the most polished team in the comp and probably let us back into it a few times but we pushed them right to the end and if I'd been a Warriors fan there were several times where I would have been feeling very nervous.

Ultimately for probably the first time this year during a loss we showed real intent and our boys were all having a go! That's what we've all felt has been missing during this run of poor form we've had but today that's one thing that I refuse to criticise them for. Carlos had a solid debut and was definitely an upgrade on Tyrone, he didn't do too bad in defense and his short kicking game was pretty decent as well.

As for our more experienced guys Tariq had an awesome game, he has been our best forward over the last few weeks. Stockwell was good as well with some strong runs. Gagai had his best game at FB I reckon, the only blemish was his poor attempt on Kata for that try, but if our front line defenders had done their job he wouldn't have been in that position in the first place. Also Aku was a beast today! He cops a lot of stick on here but he's been pretty good this year, I know he conceded a try to Manu but in reality Manu probably would have scored that try over just about any winger in the comp, it was a good kick and Aku was isolated and wasn't able to have a run at the ball whereas Manu had all he momentum for his jump, so I don't think there was a lot that Aku could have done to prevent it. His effort near the end to score from DH was pure Aku and gave us a shot at winning the game, he then made a great run a minute later but sadly BJ dropped it on the next tackle.

Ultimately we lost the game which is another nail in the coffin for our season which is fast becoming a disaster. But at least our boys showed that they won't go down without a fight and I felt that yesterday they genuinely had a go which is much more than can be said about a few of our other losses.

This is just my opinion here so I'm sure there will be plenty who disagree with it but at least there are a few positives to take out of it.

Nuffy

Bench
Tariq has bombed post game interviews before so it is nothing new for him. It actually shows mental strength cos he can move on to the next one with a clean slate. Dwelling on loss achieves nothing and if anything we may actually do it too much.. It is a cliche that died years ago. Most champion sides have fun getting there.

I get the fun bit but I reflect on the truly great players we've had at the club and would they, 5 mins after dropping their 7th game in 8 weeks, be thinking about photobombing an interview.

Would Joey, BK, Simmo, Bedsy, Chief, Mad dog do that? Or would they head straight to the rooms, talk about the game hear what the coach has to say and then decompress.

If you've just won your 7th game from 8, I get it, but not minutes after dropping another game and likely missing the finals, and its not yet June.

Champion sides, by their very nature, are winners, so they can afford to be light hearted when they want, we haven't had that luxury for a decade.

Joker's Wild

Coach
I'm surprised to see so much negativity after this game. This was one of the few times in recent years where we've lost but I feel like we can actually take a lot out of it. We had a seriously under strength side with a number of players in key positions out, not to mention several of our most experienced players being out. Then Tyrone goes down in the first 10 mins to make it even more challenging because our bench hooker ends up playing halfback.

All of this aside we got within 4 points of the Warriors at home, I know that they aren't the most polished team in the comp and probably let us back into it a few times but we pushed them right to the end and if I'd been a Warriors fan there were several times where I would have been feeling very nervous.

Ultimately for probably the first time this year during a loss we showed real intent and our boys were all having a go! That's what we've all felt has been missing during this run of poor form we've had but today that's one thing that I refuse to criticise them for. Carlos had a solid debut and was definitely an upgrade on Tyrone, he didn't do too bad in defense and his short kicking game was pretty decent as well.

As for our more experienced guys Tariq had an awesome game, he has been our best forward over the last few weeks. Stockwell was good as well with some strong runs. Gagai had his best game at FB I reckon, the only blemish was his poor attempt on Kata for that try, but if our front line defenders had done their job he wouldn't have been in that position in the first place. Also Aku was a beast today! He cops a lot of stick on here but he's been pretty good this year, I know he conceded a try to Manu but in reality Manu probably would have scored that try over just about any winger in the comp, it was a good kick and Aku was isolated and wasn't able to have a run at the ball whereas Manu had all he momentum for his jump, so I don't think there was a lot that Aku could have done to prevent it. His effort near the end to score from DH was pure Aku and gave us a shot at winning the game, he then made a great run a minute later but sadly BJ dropped it on the next tackle.

Ultimately we lost the game which is another nail in the coffin for our season which is fast becoming a disaster. But at least our boys showed that they won't go down without a fight and I felt that yesterday they genuinely had a go which is much more than can be said about a few of our other losses.

This is just my opinion here so I'm sure there will be plenty who disagree with it but at least there are a few positives to take out of it.

Yes, we played better. We stayed with them for the entire game instead of falling apart. Our goal line defence was excellent. These are certainly positives to take out of the game

But

We also had some pretty bad defencive lapses (Katas try being the most obvious). About 100 passes hit the ground during backline moves. The Warriors looked out of sorts and probably kept us in the game when we didnt deserve to be. BJ giving away mutiple dumb penalties and mistakes.

All of the above were massive red flags pointing to things that still have not been addressed. The close score line only masks how bad this team is still going, we cant rely on our opposition being so bad and not making us pay for our weaknesses every week

Yosh

Coach
7 losses in 8 games. Where is there any positive in that? We don't get points for trying hard. No other job in the world gives you a pay rise because you tried hard. They get paid based on performance. We upgrade our bloke's contracts because they turned up to work. Wish my job was that cruisy..

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I get what people are saying about 7 losses in 8 games and believe me I feel just as frustrated as everyone does about our terrible form.

But the point I was making is that considering the injury crisis we seem to have been struck with in recent weeks our guys actually tried their asses off yesterday and almost came away with the result. I get that "almost" doesn't win us a comp but let's face it this year is probably already a write off anyway so performances like yesterday are one of the few positives that we can take from it.

Noname36

First Grade
They tried really hard so I can't be disappointed really on the basis of this game alone. That's all you can hope for when you have serious injury problems in an already poor squad.

My real issue is that they gave it a real dig this week in NZ with a depleted squad after Stone came under fire but they completely packed it in at half time the week before at home when we had a side that could have beaten what the Bronco's produced.

Stone has to reward Tui and Randall. What they did under the pump in the halves against a very dangerous side was excellent. Tui had a debut that was was above anything I was expecting.

Last edited: