What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R15 vs Sydney Roosters

Abacus

Juniors
Pretty much this.

People act like our hooker combo are teenagers or something.

The club rightful is open to a new option in 9
I'm not disputing that the club are within their rights to consider other 9s (& they're willing according to @Blade23 ), but tbf, Luke is a teenager in respect of NRL games played...he's only played 16 ffs and all(?) off the bench.

I don't think he's the finished product yet and I'd expect him to be showing more this time next year, assuming he's still playing regular NRL.

Iamback

Coach
View attachment 75522
I like mitch kenny, he might not be a world beater, but he is definitely a prop beater... his efforts in the last GF and in most of our games in general are what are keeping our differential so high, i wouldnt trade him for anyone barr Api, and those who are advocating for another teams hooker are wasting their time, Phoenix crosslands is a terrible defender, how is that an upgrade? Ivan values defence, i value winning, and dont really care by how much, defense plays a huge part of that, kennys the benchmark in my opinion right now, too many people wanting the flashy ruck stepper, and guile that harry, api and cook bring, but give me a solid defender, with room for improvement anyday of the week... dylan edwards was in the same mold and had his critiques... look at him now

Well lets compare Kenny to Simpkins that was recently told to leave Tigers.

One who we reportedly looked at Jake Simpkins

Kenny

856mins played
0 tries
2 Try assists
10 Dummy half runs
0 line breaks
8 line engagements
2 kicks
2 kick metres
1 forced drop out
9 errors

Simpkins

238 mins
1 try
1 try assist
11 Dummy half runs
1 line break
17 line engagements
2 kicks
21 kick metres
1 forced drop outs
3 errors

That is a comparison to the bench hooker in the wooden spoon team, What would he do in our setup?

Or playing that gametime?

Simpkins is also 21. So has a higher ceiling

That isn't an isolated comparison. As I said Turpin and Walters are really the only 2 that have worse numbers

Hence why people discuss our hooker rotation

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
I'm not disputing that the club are within their rights to consider other 9s (& they're willing according to @Blade23 ), but tbf, Luke is a teenager in respect of NRL games played...he's only played 16 ffs and all(?) off the bench.

I don't think he's the finished product yet and I'd expect him to be showing more this time next year, assuming he's still playing regular NRL.

Not denying that but next year he will be 28.

If we use the 50-60 game mark as when a player is considered a 1st grader.

We are looking at 30. Which happens to be when players start to lose their speed, Which is his best attribute.

BxTom

Bench

Kenny

856mins played
0 tries
2 Try assists
10 Dummy half runs
0 line breaks
8 line engagements
2 kicks
2 kick metres
1 forced drop out
9 errors

Simpkins

238 mins
1 try
1 try assist
11 Dummy half runs
1 line break
17 line engagements
2 kicks
21 kick metres
1 forced drop outs
3 errors

That is a comparison to the bench hooker in the wooden spoon team, What would he do in our setup?

That isn't an isolated comparison. As I said Turpin and Walters are really the only 2 that have worse numbers

Some more stats for you to consider;
Simpkins
GF appearances - 0
GF Rings - 0

Mitch Kenny
GF appearances - 1
GF Rings - 1

As you are the one that likes to quote stats can you please look up the finals appearances and winning percentages of each player?

Abacus

Juniors
Not denying that but next year he will be 28.

If we use the 50-60 game mark as when a player is considered a 1st grader.

We are looking at 30. Which happens to be when players start to lose their speed, Which is his best attribute.
Its his best attribute currently, but he doesn’t use it the right way - he tries to play too fast. Probably because he feels he lacks a bit of size for NRL.

Over the next couple of years I see him adding more muscle, gaining more confidence in his body which will help him improve his contact in defence as well as absorbing hits when he has the ball. Losing half a step in speed won't be as big a deal for him.

Anyway, maybe we see him getting close to 50 games by end of 2024 and we can decide if he is a player to persist with (he'll be 29 for the 2025 season), particularly if he builds his game time.

MugaB

Coach

Kenny

856mins played
0 tries
2 Try assists
10 Dummy half runs
0 line breaks
8 line engagements
2 kicks
2 kick metres
1 forced drop out
9 errors

Simpkins

238 mins
1 try
1 try assist
11 Dummy half runs
1 line break
17 line engagements
2 kicks
21 kick metres
1 forced drop outs
3 errors

Simpkins is also 21. So has a higher ceiling

I dont care about kennys attack, we have Yeo, Nate and luai to worry aboit that, i care about keeping that middle impervious to line breaks, im sure the tigers have improved tremendously since api gelled with their team this season, and simpkins rotation with him, you should be comparing soni luke to simpkins anyway, they are both the bench hookers

WestyLife

First Grade
Not only that 7 tackles for a knock on. That my biggest gripe.

The rule in goal should be the same on halfway

I hate that rule so much. It was originally meant to stop kickers booting it dead from long distance because teams would do that to stop Billy Slater kick returns. Attacking plays shouldn't be effected. Otherwise though having different rules in goal is fine.

Iamback

Coach
I dont care about kennys attack, we have Yeo, Nate and luai to worry aboit that, i care about keeping that middle impervious to line breaks, im sure the tigers have improved tremendously since api gelled with their team this season, and simpkins rotation with him, you should be comparing soni luke to simpkins anyway, they are both the bench hookers

Shouldn't our starting hooker have better numbers than a bench hooker?

I agree defence is important especially in our setup. Yet many hookers have a better tackle %

some with less tackles yes but not all. Even Turpin offers nothing with the ball but is at 94%. Much smaller too.

We don't have a hooker locked in past 2024 at some stage the club has to decide whether to extend them both or not.

The lower graders seem to be no closer to getting in the side. So it comes to whether both improve enough or not really

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
I hate that rule so much. It was originally meant to stop kickers booting it dead from long distance because teams would do that to stop Billy Slater kick returns. Attacking plays shouldn't be effected. Otherwise though having different rules in goal is fine.

You have the 40-20. You could do a huge kick going for one. Hit the corner post instead and give up 7 tackles.

Just another thing setup to hurt attackers instead of defenders

Kilkenny

Coach
The Broncos are sitting pretty at the top of the ladder and I think from watching there games the coaches son Billy has like Mitch been doing a pretty fair job. He’s certainly improved considerably this season, if the stats suggest he is the least performing dummy half in the comp well I would suggest the stats don’t tell the full picture. The two sides at the top of the ladder, currently, have the two worst performing dummy halves if you are basing the assessment on statistics. Something is clearly wrong somewhere.

snickers007

Juniors
The Broncos are sitting pretty at the top of the ladder and I think from watching there games the coaches son Billy has like Mitch been doing a pretty fair job. He’s certainly improved considerably this season, if the stats suggest he is the least performing dummy half in the comp well I would suggest the stats don’t tell the full picture. The two sides at the top of the ladder, currently, have the two worst performing dummy halves if you are basing the assessment on statistics. Something is clearly wrong somewhere.

Or it proves that Hooker isn't such an important position. Also goes against the majority narrative here. :rolleyes:

Kilkenny

Coach
Or it proves that Hooker isn't such an important position. Also goes against the majority narrative here. :rolleyes:
I guess the elite Dummy halves are those selected in SOO to date. Cook, Koroisau and Robson along with Grant from Qld. Hunt is playing in the 9 but considers himself a 7 first and foremost.

Robson would look great in Panthers colours but just not realistic.

I don’t disagree it is a position that our club will be looking at bringing someone in, but given our salary cap position it is most likely either an up and coming youngster or a fringe player as back up.