What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R16 Sun - Dragons v Manly *SPOILERS*

lockyno1

Post Whore
Manly won't be there with Orford at 7..although if Orford suffers a season ending injury- Manly will win the comp as Monas is 10 times a better halfback!

Hurriflatch

Referee
So if Manly won't win the comp because of Orford at half
and Melbourne won't win the comp because of what happened last year

I guess that means Parra are winning the Grand Final?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Beavers Headgear said:
Um, no

Out of starting 13, 6 are where they would be at full strength, and 2 club debutants on the bench. This game means nothing towards a premiership, losing to this mob with Kite, Stewart, Bell, Matai, Lyon back and players playing where they are comfortable, then it would have more bearing
I know it has already been mentioned, but did you think to scan the Dragons team list before making that post? Saints have been fielding near enough to a reserve grade side for most of the season.

No Gasnier, Cooper, Young, Ryles or Woolford. That's just for starters.
The kid playing in the centres is still in high school.

dragonfire

Bench
Willow said:
I know it has already been mentioned, but did you think to scan the Dragons team list before making that post? Saints have been fielding near enough to a reserve grade side for most of the season.

No Gasnier, Cooper, Young, Ryles or Woolford. That's just for starters.
The kid playing in the centres is still in high school.

Pretty hard to believe that Chase Stanley is already that good, imagine him in another 2-3 years. I think Storm will win it, just cant see them ruining anothershot at a premiership

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
taxidriver said:
beavers headgear, you need to loosen it as it's constricting the bloodflow to your brain.

you want to talk debutants ?

of the starting 17 yesterday, only 5 were in our FG 17 last year.

you want to talk players out ?

Saints had 9 first grade players unavailable yesterday.

You muppet

I made no comment about the Saints side, everyone knows they have plenty out, and everyone knows that a lot of those players won't be back, and they are no chance at the Premiership

The Manly players missing will be back next week, and the side that played yesterday is nothing close to the team that will run on to challenge for the premiership

Hence why what those players did yesterday was no indicator on what a full strength side will produce in the finals, and had little bearing on what a full strength side which will be returning will put out in the run to the finals

lockyno1

Post Whore
Beavers Headgear said:
nothing close to the team that will run on to challenge for the premiership

any side with orford at 7 will not challenge for the premiership!:lol:

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
Beavers Headgear said:
You muppet

I made no comment about the Saints side, everyone knows they have plenty out, and everyone knows that a lot of those players won't be back, and they are no chance at the Premiership

The Manly players missing will be back next week, and the side that played yesterday is nothing close to the team that will run on to challenge for the premiership

Hence why what those players did yesterday was no indicator on what a full strength side will produce in the finals, and had little bearing on what a full strength side which will be returning will put out in the run to the finals

I think you're papering over Manly's problems. The previous week, with all your players in, the Bulldogs smashed you at Brookvale. Yesteday proved you have little depth. Major question marks linger over Orford and Lyon. Monnas is on the outer. Manly have a hard run home with 5 or so games in a row away from Brookvale.

There is a strong chance that Manly will lose every game and miss the 8.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Rockin Ronny said:
I think you're papering over Manly's problems. The previous week, with all your players in, the Bulldogs smashed you at Brookvale. Yesteday proved you have little depth. Major question marks linger over Orford and Lyon. Monnas is on the outer. Manly have a hard run home with 5 or so games in a row away from Brookvale.

There is a strong chance that Manly will lose every game and miss the 8.

The Bulldogs can smash anyone on their day, and Manly were average.

The depth part of things is debatable considering that the clubs 3 best centres were out, that is always going to be a problem and dilute the resources.

Sure, there are question marks, as there are over every side in the comp.

My only point was that yesterday had no bearing on preiership chances, because in the finals the chances of seeing NBQ,Neumann,Menzies in the centres, 2 PLers on the bench etc are very very slim. If the full lineup lost like that yesterday than yes, it would have put a massive dent in the chances. The lineup that will front has beaten the Storm, Beaten the Eels, beaten the Tigers, so can't be written off

Also, there is no way in the world Manly will lose every game

Dutchy

Immortal
Beaver..quit arguing. We have been sh*t for the past month you cant win.
We can only hope the boys step up and turn this around.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Dutchy said:
Beaver..quit arguing. We have been sh*t for the past month you cant win.
We can only hope the boys step up and turn this around.

I am not arguing about the performance or any faults the team has, simply that yesterday had no bearing on premiership chances other than the 2 points missed on the ladder

Dutchy

Immortal
still...you cant win no matter what you say...ive learnt to just let them think they know :p

CharlieF

Juniors
Hurriflatch said:
So if Manly won't win the comp because of Orford at half
and Melbourne won't win the comp because of what happened last year

I guess that means Parra are winning the Grand Final?

In your dreams.

CharlieF

Juniors
Dutchy said:
still...you cant win no matter what you say...ive learnt to just let them think they know :p

F**kin frustrating though.

To be honest, the person I am actually waiting on to come back is Matai. I know he is a hot head and is known to give away a penalty or two, but f**k can he silence anyone that runs at him. He single handedly destroyed Parramatta earlier this year, and that was the last game I saw him play in. How many has he had, 2 games this year??

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Beavers Headgear said:
The depth part of things is debatable considering that the clubs 3 best centres were out, that is always going to be a problem and dilute the resources.
Beaver, with respect, you've done it again.

Saints had NO centres on the field. Cooper, Gasnier, Naiqama all out. It was left to a winger and a backrower to fill in. Menzies is an experienced centre so that's your 'diluted resources'?

Saints were also playing a third string hooker and were without the first choice prop. Saints also have a very green halves combo.

For all intents and purposes, it was the perfect match for Manly to test their depth. They had players on Origin duty etc., but were presented with the opportunity to stand up against a team with an 'abundance' of reserve graders.

Downie

Guest Moderator
Verse Souths two weeks back. And to blame it on Menzies is ridiculous. He had one bad game against the Dragons, but was fine against the Dogs and great against Souths. If anything, put the blame on Orford.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Willow said:
Beaver, with respect, you've done it again.

Saints had NO centres on the field. Cooper, Gasnier, Naiqama all out. It was left to a winger and a backrower to fill in. Menzies is an experienced centre so that's your 'diluted resources'?

Saints were also playing a third string hooker and were without the first choice prop. Saints also have a very green halves combo.

For all intents and purposes, it was the perfect match for Manly to test their depth. They had players on Origin duty etc., but were presented with the opportunity to stand up against a team with an 'abundance' of reserve graders.

I really don't know how to make this any clearer

There was no reference intended to what Dragons had missing, or to make a contest out of who was missing the most

The statement was about what a loss in that game meant to premiership chances, nothing else, and imo it meant nothing, because the side that will play this week and most weeks through the rest of the year was not on the park

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Well complacency is one thing.... excuses are another, and then blind faith is another thing again.

Manly will bounce back, but not if they think losing against a reserve grade team is no cause for concern. Perhaps the prospect of beating Saints was simply too high a mountain to climb...?

You base your argument on the assumption that Manly will have a full strength team come semi-finals time... maybe they will. But if their depth gets tested in September, I know where my tips will be going.

Latest posts