What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R18 | Raiders 36-22 Knights @ GIO | Friday 7.35pm

Whats Doing

Bench
What Doing, I think you need a glass of water and a lie down. You clearly copped a head knock somewhere before writing that

Not really JW.

If Stone keeps falsely trumpeting his capabilities, we will never offload him for next year to a NRL club.

BTW the Titans are after Taylor for 2 years at $200k per season. They won't be looking at Roberts (if at all) unless they fail to land Taylor.

Last edited:

Joker's Wild

Coach
And they will if Roberts is dropped?

All that will happen is they will offer $100k and we'll still have to pay him $300k for 2016. I'd rather keep him in NSWCUP as a backup or bench hooker than bottle $300k with nothing to show

I just can't follow you're logic mate. It's fundamentally flawed

Joker's Wild

Coach
JW- You have fundamentally missed my point.

That dropping him will get clubs interested?

Comparing him to Hokko, who was the current nsw halfback and who was off contract is absurd. No NRL club is going to look at Tyrone unless he is playing FG, none are that desperate for a plodder

Noname36

First Grade
It is about getting more clubs interested in taking him off our hands. If he stays in 1st grade there will be lucky to one club interested in his services and they will offer jack sh!t knowing the knights will need to top up his 2016 contract. You make the player not wanted and stuck in reserve grade, the more clubs will become interested offering an opportunity and hoping to get a bargain deal. However the more clubs interested the higher the price.

Yes Hodkinson is a case in point although in slightly different circumstances where the Dogs offered him jack sh!t for next year and forcing him out with us and the Titans upping his price to get his services. If it was only us who were keen we would have got him at a lower price.

It is about creating the situation where we can increase demand for his services from other clubs and telling him he is not in our plans for 2016 is the best way to force him out and get interest from other clubs.

This doesn't make one bit of sense sorry mate. If you try and drop his price like you're suggesting one of two things will happen:

1. Nobody will touch him - and we'll be extremely lucky if anyone does as it is.
2. The offers coming in will be so low he'll just say "lol no thanks. I'll just collect my 400k from the Knights for another year"

Both of those options result in us keeping Tyrone on 400k.

Our best option is to try and make him look like an attractive option and hope there is a club desperate/stupid enough to take him off our hands.

Whats Doing

Bench
This doesn't make one bit of sense sorry mate. If you try and drop his price like you're suggesting one of two things will happen:

1. Nobody will touch him - and we'll be extremely lucky if anyone does as it is.
2. The offers coming in will be so low he'll just say "lol no thanks. I'll just collect my 400k from the Knights for another year"

Both of those options result in us keeping Tyrone on 400k.

Our best option is to try and make him look like an attractive option and hope there is a club desperate/stupid enough to take him off our hands.

Buddy - I have not said anywhere that I would try and drop his price. I have said you need to create an environment that more than one club bid for his services so that economics can come into play. The best way to do that is to make him unwanted at the knights for 2016. This is not saying drop his price as he contracted to the knights for $400k in 2016 irrespective of what grade he plays for.

It is also obvious you do not know how contracts work. He will collect $400k no matter who he plays for next year whether it is us or some other club which we would top up. He may accept a one year $250K offer from another club topped up by $150k from the knights (if they agree to release him) for a chance to play at another club rather than reserve grade at the Knights.

Anyway this is the last thing I will say on the matter.

Burwood

Bench
It is clear to every man and his dog that Roberts isn't seen to be part of Stone's future for the club. I think opposition coaches and recruiters are smart enough to work that out regardless of whether or not he is being selected in first grade or NSW Cup each week.

Noname36

First Grade
Buddy - I have not said anywhere that I would try and drop his price. I have said you need to create an environment that more than one club bid for his services so that economics can come into play. The best way to do that is to make him unwanted at the knights for 2016. This is not saying drop his price as he contracted to the knights for $400k in 2016 irrespective of what grade he plays for.

It is also obvious you do not know how contracts work. He will collect $400k no matter who he plays for next year whether it is us or some other club which we would top up. He may accept a one year $250K offer from another club topped up by $150k from the knights (if they agree to release him) for a chance to play at another club rather than reserve grade at the Knights.

Anyway this is the last thing I will say on the matter.

Thanks for the condescending lecture but I do fully understand how contracts work. I know he will collect 400k next year regardless but I would prefer us not to have to pay the full 400k.

The only way for that to happen is if we get another club to take him off our hands next year and pay part of his salary...and to me it's just common sense that talking him up would increase the likelihood of someone making him an offer than his coach publicly writing him off as a lost cause.

If you want to create an environment where more than one club are bidding for his services then you need clubs to actually think he's worth bidding on to begin with. Stone was just trying to increase his value in the eyes of the NRL...1) to get him and part of his salary off our roster for next year, and 2) to try and get Tyrone a new club/home.

Last edited: