What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R2 v Dolphins.

True_Believer

Juniors
1 week is along time in rugby league and on this forum for the same posters to do 180"s in respect to their hopes and judgment on the team.
We were off the pace tonight definitely and deserved to lose and it was a very disappointing 2nd half.
Bit of perspective to where we all thought we were before the trials.
They have still exceeded my expectations thus far this year in many forms.
Agreed BLM. You just have to look at both of the teams first 2 weeks - Dolphins played the crap game last week and came out firing last night. We played really well the first week and then were flat last night. A week is definitely a long time in league.

I think the second half was indicative of what we were put through in the first. They were off the line super fast all night. And I mean ALL night - it was relentless until the final whistle. I was often wondering if they were ever on side. They must have been as they seemed to be able to consistently do it with little repercussion. Given we were pretty much trying to get out of our own half all night, it was no wonder that it opened up in the second half. They dominated our outside backs and seemed to be able to slow down our play the ball (although that could be deceptive as we were eventually just moving in slow motion). When we did get a run of quick play the balls we ended up making mistakes as we were just so gassed. The halves had no room and got caught out often. The backs were dominated as were the forwards. One thing I look for is domination in the tackles and the ability to have players up and at marker before the ball is played - we did it last week but this week it was abysmal. That's one area the Dolphins were able to capitalize on. I think we just did too much in the first half to be able to sustain it and the field position really didn't change the whole game. Very disappointing follow up to the first game.

Having said all that, I saw enough in the Titans game to think we've got something there to work with - we just need to work on getting it right and being more consistent. It's not going to turn around immediately after 1 pre-season.

As for the Bird argument, I don't know what to do there. I just don't think we have a winger that can come in to replace Lomax at the moment. Unfortunately, I think we are stuck with the current team until someone is willing to stand up in reggies or we are able to snag someone who can slot straight in.

I just don't think we have a winger that can come in to replace Lomax at the moment.
How about the big dude we picked up from the Eagles. The one after being beaten by his opponent can turn round and in a flash chase him then throw him into touch before he has time to dive over. Name me one of our wingers from last year able to do that. The other option is Sione Finau. He has a touch of class imho.

Now Sloan has put on a few kilos and is no longer a rag doll, plus is now showing more intent in defense dump Bird and move him to centre and Lomax to the back.. I reckon Zac will be happier there than having to chase the ball from the flank while Sloan wont have to worry about organizing a defensive line and other assorted f/b duties so can concentrate on hurting lazy defenses with his silky footwork.

Last edited:

thebigredv

First Grade
WELL BACK TO THE OLD DRAWING BOARD, as they say in the classics.

What went wrong after such a positive start to our season. In a nutshell, the Dolphins came to play, WE DID NOT!
I said the same thing about not turning up but I’d like to know why this keeps happening. I reckon the team would have been keen to prove the critics wrong and show last week was no fluke. I’m sure Shane did his bit to prepare them. The whistle blew and the same players did the same poor things they’ve been doing for seasons, the line speed of the opposition nullified any attack we could muster and then heads went down.

I think they come expecting things will be easier and when it turns out it isn’t reserve grade anymore it just turns to muck. Reckon you could prepare this lot til the cows come home and they’ll arrive primed for a match but are just not able to win any momentum back once things get tough. Just duds really.

The stats were embarrassing as I knew they'd be. Not one forward ran 100m. Blocka Lawrie the closest with 79. Post contact metres were non existent as was our middle defense. We almost shared possession 49%/51% but pi**ed most of it away with poor decision making by our halves while the Dolphins with a 66% territorial advantage simply blew us off the park.

Last edited:

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
After a good win I was surprised that Flanno didn't apply the "you don't change a winning team" philosophy. Neither Blocka or Luc added a lot and their inclusion forced some players to move from positions where they had played very well the week before. It also forced a couple of players who had done nothing wrong to be dropped from the team. My preference would have been for Blocka and Luc to earn their FG spot through KOE Cup. I still hope Flanno knows best, but it has been a sudden crash back to earth!

Parko1310

Juniors
After a good win I was surprised that Flanno didn't apply the "you don't change a winning team" philosophy. Neither Blocka or Luc added a lot and their inclusion forced some players to move from positions where they had played very well the week before. It also forced a couple of players who had done nothing wrong to be dropped from the team. My preference would have been for Blocka and Luc to earn their FG spot through KOE Cup. I still hope Flanno knows best, but it has been a sudden crash back to earth!
It's because, especially with Lawrie, they are seen as crucial cogs in our team. With Leilua I get it, he's a good player, but maybe a week in reserves would've been good for him. I didn't think he was overly bad last night though. Lawrie I just don't get why he's seen as so central to our team, I think he stifles us. He tries so hard and that's great, but he demands so many runs which is why he has higher run metres compared to most. Those runs he is taking though are actually completely ineffective. He'll run to the line, and as soon as he gets hit, he drops like a sack of shit. Zero post contact metres, slow play the ball, next play is slow and they get smashed, leading to another slow play the ball. He will usually try and take two runs a set if he can, which essentially eats up four tackles (basically the entire attacking set). He's also completely one dimensional. He's got no leg drive, no offload, no passing game, no footwork, no lateral movement. It's straight up and down, and it's all done painfully slow. Not to mention, his defence is sub par. As I said, I don't fault his effort, I just think he's incredibly overrated because people get drawn into his effort and think trying hard = good player. I'd drop him, but I know it won't happen

Last edited:

st.phil

Bench
Lomax good on the wing but it's all grunt work - back to R centre and Rava onto R wing. I feel Flanno will give Bird another week but writings on the wall. Finau the only winger with some toe so give him a shot on left wing (not that he'll see any ball from Suli but he could pick up a loose ball)

Missed the bigger bodies of BMM and Fifita - too many small forwards and slow backs. Wouldn't mind a couchman off the bench too

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
It's because, especially with Lawire, they are seen as crucial cogs in our team. With Leilua I get it, he's a good player, but maybe a week in reserves would've been good for him. I didn't think he was overly bad last night though. Lawrie I just don't get why he's seen as so central to our team, I think he stifles us. He tries so hard and that's great, but he demands so many runs which is why he has higher run metres compared to most. Those runs he is taking though are actually completely ineffective. He'll run to the line, and as soon as he gets hit, he drops like a sack of shit. Zero post contact metres, slow play the ball, next play is slow and they get smashed, leading to another slow play the ball. He will usually try and take two runs a set if he can, which essentially eats up four tackles (basically the entire attacking set). He's also completely one dimensional. He's got no leg drive, no offload, no passing game, no footwork, no lateral movement. It's straight up and down, and it's all done painfully slow. Not to mention, his defence is sub par. As I said, I don't fault his effort, I just think he's incredibly overrated because people get drawn into his effort and think trying hard = good player. I'd drop him, but I know it won't happen
But apart from those things you think he is pretty good?? 😂😂😂 (just joking). I agree with you that he didn't deserve to go straight into the team as the previously selected players had done a good job. Luc hadn't had a full preseason, so why rush him in when there was no glaring need? Anyway, time to move on I guess.

since77

Juniors
I knew the lynch mob would be back out after 1 poor game.
honestly dont think this game is us. It looks bad and like prior years.
I always thought we would be flat after throwing everything into last week.
No excuse but I thought we tried hard but were not up to speed or pace tonight.
Dolphins were up quick, we weren't
Yep it feels like back to earth, but saw some good moments in attack tonight but nothing went for us and we were down on energy and no polish
Here's hoping we are better at home
Tend to agree with you. That was really disappointing to watch but glad it happened in round 2.
To me they looked flat right from the kickoff. I'm wondering whether a harder preseason than usual has caught up with them. I also suspect a few players started reading the good news stories last week and got carried away with themselves. I mentioned before the game that this was the kind of game that mentally the old Dragons lose.
We will have a few bad games like this in this season, just as we will have some good wins.
Important Flanno gets them up both physically and mentally for next week.
I'm not slitting my wrists yet.

To me they looked flat right from the kickoff.
Exacerbated by those two early tries from kicks that could've gone either way. Lomax was within a whisker of catching that first bomb, while had Rava contested the bomb instead of inviting his opposite to catch and score, the result may have been different and wed have had the good start, not them. Reckon we were a little shell shocked after that yet held on bravely despite having no ball. We were cooked when they scored twice early in the second stanza and then the floodgates opened.

Last edited:

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
Oh please. He was arguably our best forward last year, he does not have to earn his spot. Coming off the bench because he missed last week he probably played reduced mins , yet still covered more ground than any other starting forward.
Oh please! You believe Blocka was fully recovered from his reported rib cartilage injury and wouldn't have benefited from working his way back up to FG? Particularly when the team had played so well the previous week. And yes, he did cover more ground than any other starting forward, but 79 metres is nothing to brag about.

Parko1310

Juniors
Exacerbated by those two early tries from kicks that could've gone either way. Lomax was within a whisker of catching that first bomb, while had Rava contested the bomb instead of inviting his opposite to catch and score, the result may have been different and wed have has the good start, not them. Reckon we were a little shell shocked after that yet held on bravely despite having no ball. We were cooked when they scored twice early in the second stanza and then the floodgates opened.
Ravalawa didn't play well, but you can't blame him for the Isaako try in my opinion. In what world is Ravalawa ever going to out jump Jamayne Isaako? The players on his inside should've been there to assist him to hold up/push out Isaako once he landed. There was no help there, they all stood and watched.. a lot of them decided to have a holiday this week