What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R2K comment - Kogarah Jubilee Oval is the right venue

FundyDragon

Bench
Willow, I agree with your opinion on the SCG, however I must admit I really enjoyed the day out against the tigers even thou we lost. My last appearance at the ground was in 1984 to watch the GF.

Elias1983

Coach
Sacrifice games at Kogarah and the gong to chase the dollars at the bigger venues....

I'm torn.....we need the dollars but what about the effort to upgrade kogarah and wollongong to their current state? The spiritual side if things comes into it as well....but if the club insists that we need the money then what choixe do we have?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Willow, I agree with your opinion on the SCG, however I must admit I really enjoyed the day out against the tigers even thou we lost. My last appearance at the ground was in 1984 to watch the GF.
Well that's good Fundy. I'm glad someone had a good time.

I was there too - in the rafters. Along with the others waving their newspaper pirate hats at each other across half empy stands.

You must have been wearing your sunnies, and your binnoculars. It sure was a trip down memory lane. lol.

But I understand the buzz if you hadn't been there since 1984. I went to a big historical hooray when we played Souths in 2005. It was the first time in a long time that any of us had the opportunity to go back to the old SCG and watch a game of League. It was a special event, well worth the trip.

Then they started staging games there for whatever anniversary coming up on the calendar; and with every event the novelty lost more shine and the shuffling of venues further risked alienating loyal fans. So now it's just a case of, "Hey, the SCG is where those Saints fans won so many grand finals... so (if we're lucky) that'll get bums on seats!" Sounds like a plan, sort of. But we only got about 14,000 at that last SCG game, more would have gone to Kogarah - a large number received refunds.

So there must be something else on offer, because it sure wasn't bums on seats.

But fine, if we didn't take a bath on the gate and someone is subsidising this, then let's see the detail. And... if the NRL (est 1998) want to make a quid out of the history of St George and the NSWRL, then I say they should acknowledge all our premierships.

Father Ted

First Grade
Then they started staging games there for whatever anniversary coming up on the calendar; and with every event the novelty lost more shine and the shuffling of venues further risked alienating loyal fans. So now it's just a case of, "Hey, the SCG is where those Saints fans won so many grand finals... so (if we're lucky) that'll get bums on seats!" Sounds like a plan, sort of. But we only got about 14,000 at that last SCG game, more would have gone to Kogarah - a large number received refunds.

The plan comes I think from the school of hit and hope and I'm not sure that will work.

But fine, if we didn't take a bath on the gate and someone is subsidising this, then let's see the detail. And... if the NRL (est 1998) want to make a quid out of the history of St George and the NSWRL, then I say they should acknowledge all our premierships.

St.George for historical rematches and when they want a quick quid. And St.George Illawarra for the totally modern moments when the NRL/ARLC/foxtel/news want us to believe they are progressive.

jenninga

First Grade
you missed the point, and the joke. Could have been in the delivery. Fortunately, my ongoing daytime employment hasn't been abandoned, so nothing has been lost.

And we were talking about the scg, not the sfs.

On the subject, when will people realise that the scg is not a rugby league ground? The league ditched it in the 1980s - like many of us i went there in olden times when we didn't know any better. But then a purpose built rl field was upgraded next door.

I get the history and tradition, in fact i love it and like the idea of the occasional rl game being played at the home of cricket. But no way should the scg put up as an ongoing seasonal fixture - to do so makes any potential career in comedy look like a gimme. I smell money changing hands.

People talk about moving the game forward but then pin up the scg as the
fix. You know, it doesn't make sense.

one hundred f#*king percent

Dragon_psa

First Grade
Well that's good Fundy. I'm glad someone had a good time.

I was there too - in the rafters. Along with the others waving their newspaper pirate hats at each other across half empy stands.

You must have been wearing your sunnies, and your binnoculars. It sure was a trip down memory lane. lol.

But I understand the buzz if you hadn't been there since 1984. I went to a big historical hooray when we played Souths in 2005. It was the first time in a long time that any of us had the opportunity to go back to the old SCG and watch a game of League. It was a special event, well worth the trip.

So there must be something else on offer, because it sure wasn't bums on seats.

Amen to that mate. Post of the year for mine.

Well Johnsy I travel as far as you do and go to all Kogarah games, the occasional W'gong game as well as any games in Qld. But I think this decision is a kick in the guts to all those who supported the team through it all, including the lean times.

As an example, moving the WT game away from Kogarah to the SCG late in the season this year was a disgrace. The interstate travellers who book flights and accomodation in advance weren't not informed until it was too late. The event itself was badly managed and the response from the club was far from satisfactory. In short, the fans were treated like crap. We were shafted royally.

Then this happens.

That said, I'll be there next year. But will do so with the realisation that club has sunk well into the mire of treating supporters like consumers. So customers we'll be... and to the club, be careful what you wish for.

I've been off air for a couple of months travelling (thanx TS). Could not wait to catch up on Dragons forum ...and my son told me about "this thread" (thanx FB, Willow, Grouch et al - grrrreat post Dr Fruitbasket).

OMG, it's taken me about 2 hours just to get thru it. I'm onto my 2nd bucket of popcorn (thanx Red) and I'm still not at the end. Better then any novel.

Before I read on further I could not go past this comment of Willows' in bold above.

It's why I remain vehemently critical of the reference of our great club as 'a brand' particularly by our highest leader - Peter Doust, who is famous for it. It degrades the people, players and legends, sponsors, administrators and most importantly the fans - who over decades have made our club so great.

Presumably, he thinks it is clever marketing talk. It's not.

Back on topic:

The decision to reduce the number of home games from 12 to 8 is a bad one for ALL St. George Illawarra Dragons (there - all 3) supporters regardless of their background, or their capacity to, or the way they support.

All it does, is weaken a club.