What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R2K comment - Kogarah Jubilee Oval is the right venue

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Are moderators or guest moderators under scrutiny from the same user guidelines as the commoners? I have had warnings and posts deleted for altering quotes before.
Yes, I am answerable to a higher authority.

But do you mean this rule?

EDITING OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS
Every member has the option to quote other member's posts when making a reply. Please note that posts which edit another member's post (by way of the quote function) will be deleted. In this we refer to 'quotes' which deliberately alter another member's post.
Repeated attempts at editing in this manner will result in a warning being sent and possible expulsion.
This doesn’t include ‘name calling’ by changing the name of author of the quote.

http://www.leagueunlimited.com/forum-rules#edit

Hmmm... playing the mod card and caving under a few run-of-the-mill questions. Get a grip.

If you can't handle a bit of mild sledging, my friendly advice is to take a break. That is, before the meltdown.

Fingerbang

Bench
Cheers. And no meltdown forthcoming, sorry Willow. I wasn't sure about the rules, and couldn't be f*cked looking for them either. So thanks for that too.

I have to admit, such a childish reaction does become you though.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Cheers. And no meltdown forthcoming, sorry Willow. I wasn't sure about the rules, and couldn't be f*cked looking for them either. So thanks for that too.

I have to admit, such a childish reaction does become you though.
That's better Fingerman! Welcome back to the world of the undead.

If you ever find yourself in such a pickle again, just remember that the interweb is a serious business.

_Johnsy

Referee
So let me get this straight.

The people complaining about the new policy are the ones that go to games, and the people who don't go to games support the new policy. Makes sense given that the new policy has zero effect on those that do not attend games.

To avoid any doubt, I do not consider those who do not turn up to games as being any less of a supporter than those that do.

No. I try to get to at least 4 Sydney games per year

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Well Johnsy I travel as far as you do and go to all Kogarah games, the occasional W'gong game as well as any games in Qld. But I think this decision is a kick in the guts to all those who supported the team through it all, including the lean times.

As an example, moving the WT game away from Kogarah to the SCG late in the season this year was a disgrace. The interstate travellers who book flights and accomodation in advance weren't not informed until it was too late. The event itself was badly managed and the response from the club was far from satisfactory. In short, the fans were treated like crap. We were shafted royally.

Then this happens.

That said, I'll be there next year. But will do so with the realisation that club has sunk well into the mire of treating supporters like consumers. So customers we'll be... and to the club, be careful what you wish for.

TruSaint

Referee
But I think this decision is a kick in the guts to all those who supported the team through it all, including the lean times.

This

_Johnsy

Referee
Well Johnsy I travel as far as you do and go to all Kogarah games, the occasional W'gong game as well as any games in Qld. But I think this decision is a kick in the guts to all those who supported the team through it all, including the lean times.

As an example, moving the WT game away from Kogarah to the SCG late in the season this year was a disgrace. The interstate travellers who book flights and accomodation in advance weren't not informed until it was too late. The event itself was badly managed and the response from the club was far from satisfactory. In short, the fans were treated like crap. We were shafted royally.

Then this happens.

That said, I'll be there next year. But will do so with the realisation that club has sunk well into the mire of treating supporters like consumers. So customers we'll be... and to the club, be careful what you wish for.

I understand exactly where your coming from mate. I have a slightly, & I mean slightly different opinion as you, this from another thread on the same topic.
The idea does hold some merit. As stated people will take time to adjust. I don't believe that we automatically get better crowds at home games. I remember getting a bog awful crowd weeks out from the finals in 2010, or was it 2009 ?? also average home semi crowds.

If it is good for our club in the long run then I am all for it.

Unfortunately our fans are not turning up in enough numbers, our board is under performing (there are numerous reasons for our declining income). Unfortunately our current financial situation isn't going to secure our long term future. What is the answer, I do not know. However I'd rather the club try and act on it rather than do SFA and keep the status quo.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
In 2009 and 2010 the home crowds were very good.

There was a push at the time to take away our home games, particularly the home semis because fans were being turned away as the house full signs went up. Remember the Masons?

This anti-Kogarah push from the media failed, one of the good things Doust did was stand against this push. But I suspect there were enough people who believed what they saw in the crap paper and the damage was done for the long term.

So it looked like they just went the other way and said we couldn't draw a big enough crowd. The NRL jumped in. They run the finals and imo they posted a bs crowd figure during a home semi at Kogarah, 14K or thereabouts but it looked more like 19K. I've been to enough games at Kogarah to guess the crowd, and there was no way they could get another 5K in there that night. Of course the tabloid press ran with it.

Over the subsequent off season, the NRL legislated a power of veto over where finals could be played.

Sure, since then the crowd numbers have dropped as the fair weather fans go back to their pubs and loungerooms... but in 2009 and 2010, we were doing alright.

Totally agree that there are a number of reasons, including an under performing board.

Unfortunately, it looks like the loyal home ground supporters (in Kogarah and W'gong) are now being told to piss off because of these shortcomings in the board room.

Saintsified

Bench
In 2009 and 2010 the home crowds were very good.

There was a push at the time to take away our home games, particularly the home semis because fans were being turned away as the house full signs went up. Remember the Masons?

This anti-Kogarah push from the media failed, one of the good things Doust did was stand against this push. But I suspect there were enough people who believed what they saw in the crap paper and the damage was done for the long term.

So it looked like they just went the other way and said we couldn't draw a big enough crowd. The NRL jumped in. They run the finals and imo they posted a bs crowd figure during a home semi at Kogarah, 14K or thereabouts but it looked more like 19K. I've been to enough games at Kogarah to guess the crowd, and there was no way they could get another 5K in there that night. Of course the tabloid press ran with it.

Over the subsequent off season, the NRL legislated a power of veto over where finals could be played.

Sure, since then the crowd numbers have dropped as the fair weather fans go back to their pubs and loungerooms... but in 2009 and 2010, we were doing alright.

Totally agree that there are a number of reasons, including an under performing board.

Unfortunately, it looks like the loyal home ground supporters (in Kogarah and W'gong) are now being told to piss off because of these shortcomings in the board room.

And knocked back 250k not moving the game. Yeah top decision that was lol

Move with the times mate or be left behind like a skid mark.

saints4me

Juniors
Sorry guys I ave to agree with fingerbang. As much as Kogarah has improved over the last 5 years it is sadly lacking in many areas.
Even though I have some great memories of it stretching back to 83 it really needs some rose coloured glasses to ignore the fact that it is deficient in facilities, capacity and access.
And R2K, you questioning whether someone is a true St George fan is absolutely ridiculous. It's that sort of BS that makes your 'cause' harder to support.

I'm also with FB on this one. I marched with R2K years ago but the writing's on the wall. I just want to see my Dragons play. I'd prefer Kogarah or the Gong but I don't really give a shit now. We should have the biggest fan base 'cause of our history but we don't and that tells me we need to try something different or we'll die.

saint.nick

Coach
I'm on fingerbang's side in this one. I may not be the biggest supporter of 'right game right venue', but fingerbang rightfully told his opinion. R2K, not Fingerbang, came in and hijacked the thread while on his/her high horse, and basically dismissed him as a saints fan, just because he doesn't like Kogarah. FFS, you don't need to like Kogarah or attend it to be a saints fan. You follow the team, not the ground.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
And knocked back 250k not moving the game. Yeah top decision that was lol
Yes, that was almost the exact response from the tabloid press at the time.

$250K was chicken feed and would hardly cover the losses suffered from moving a game at such short notice. If I recall correctly, the consideration included the sponsors as well as those fans who were already locked in.

Saintsified said:
Move with the times mate or be left behind like a skid mark.
Yeah sure. So how would you like to see things done? Especially given the value you put on the above $250K offer. I'm curious as to where you'd like to see us playing in say, 5 years from now.

I'm all for smart business decisions that encourage more sponsorship and a greater supporter base. But playing at Homebush in front of empty seats is not going to improve our stocks one iota. Sorry, but imo, before this deal is done we are going to lose more than we gain.

jenninga

First Grade
This decision by the club is simply a quick fix for cash,like hocking your gold watch.It's is simply the result of lazy management.
Apart from moving to ANZ for the cash,Souffs have marketed their brand since Crowe came on board and have increased membership,made it hip to be a Souffs fan,recruited astutely .
Not us,we still hang our hat on the 11 in a row ,while we are all proud of our history ,how has the club made it more attractive to attract fans.We on here have been p*ssed off for a couple of years at the direction of our club,and now this stadium shift happens.
I feel cheap.

saint.nick

Coach
This decision by the club is simply a quick fix for cash,like hocking your gold watch.It's is simply the result of lazy management.
Apart from moving to ANZ for the cash,Souffs have marketed their brand since Crowe came on board and have increased membership,made it hip to be a Souffs fan,recruited astutely .
Not us,we still hang our hat on the 11 in a row ,while we are all proud of our history ,how has the club made it more attractive to attract fans.We on here have been p*ssed off for a couple of years at the direction of our club,and now this stadium shift happens.
I feel cheap.

This is exactly what I was trying to talk about a couple of months back. St.George may be very famous, and have a glorious past, but we don't have a hip or cool image that will attract the new fans! Who's attracting new fans? Souths, Dogs, Easts to an extent, and the warriors too. The Dragons marketing is just utterly f**king lazy and complacent. The Dogs opening a team store in f**king Hurstville, Saints heartland, is a sign of a club putting in the effort to get that competitive advantage off the field. I mean Christ, I've only just recently studied the subject of basic marketing fundamentals at Uni, and yet I honestly think I can do a better job at the dragons.

Winning helps your brand, but it doesn't complete it. The saints need to tap into the deep lying values the new generation of fans have for their team, i.e, hip or cool to be seen supporting, badass, etc. What did the Dragons do marketing wise to capitalise on their success in 2009/2010? Nothing. Zip. Resting on their laurels again. Sure, the dragons may target the values of history and success, but that doesn't work with the new generation, because they live in the present, not the past, and it's only something which the older generation like you guys can 100% relate with. Saints need to shake off the cob webs of the 50s, 60s's and 70's and get a new make over, just like Souths did in a very familiar situation.

Last edited:

bottle

Coach
Not 100% true nick.
Book of Feuds, Pride of the League, 20 Premmys, when Souths are going well blah, blah.
They leverage their past as well.
I see what you are saying though and more needs to be done.

saint.nick

Coach
Not 100% true nick.
Book of Feuds, Pride of the League, 20 Premmys, when Souths are going well blah, blah.
They leverage their past as well.
I see what you are saying though and more needs to be done.

I'm not saying you have to completely toss your past into the rubbish bin. The glorification of the past and the present should co exist. Souths leverage on their past while proactively marketing a new hip image to young fans. Having a great history is a great platform for that, something we also enjoy. The thing is we rely on our history alone, and don't try to capitalise on it as leverage like Souths do.

Mr Red

First Grade
I feel cheap.

+1.
its lazy management taking the quick cash option rather than sit down with a proper strategy and action plan as to how to market the "dragons brand" better in order to attract fans, corporate dollars and increase membership sales..